Blepharitis and dry eye sufferer for several years.....

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've had blepharitis for more years then I care to remember. This condition started in my early 30's and I'm now approaching 47. Living with this condition has been the most dabilitating thing I've ever encountered. It has affected my personal and professional life in the most profound way. It took years for them to diagnose. The first eye doctor I seen just said you have the eyes of a 90 year old and that was at age 32. It was years before I was finally diagnosed with blepharitis. My eyes are constantly filled with stringy mucus. I'm wondering if anyone else has this symptom as part of their dry eye/bleph condition. It makes it very hard not to touch the eyes because the upper lid fills up so much with mucus it gets very painful with pressure from the mucus that the only thing I can do is push the lower lid up into the upper lid and it will eventually drop down where I can then clear it out. I know it sounds very gross. I recently had my lower ducts cauterized and since having that done I've had two bouts with the worst flare up in my life. My lower lids got so red and crinkled up and the skin actually broke open so they are very sore. I don't feel I'm getting far with the doctors at the eye hospital so I'm now gonna make an appointment with the dermatologist after reading others posts. Can anyone tell me if they have the problem with the eyes producing mucus. The eye doctor says since I don't have any tear film the eyes try to compensate by producing mucus. I'm curious if anyone else has this as part of their condition and any products that have helped them with either the mucus or helped to clear up the cracked and crinkled skin around the eyes. I recently started using the wet ones as I read on here but it's too soon to tell if they will help. Any information on products prescription or over the counter that have helped would be appreciated. Sadly I feel I get more help from the forums then some doctors. I don't think these doctors or anyone for that matter can sympathize and know how dibilitating this condition is unless they have experienced this themselves. No one seems to realize the impact this has on ones life. We have cures for cancer but yet can't come up with anything that cures this dibilitating condition. Any and all comments and help is appreciated. Also recently was given xiidra the new eye drops and this just increases the amount of mucus so I recently stopped this as well. Just another tried treatment that has done nothing.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Lena. Ive only been suffering for four months and have suffered nothing like you describe. I just wanted to wish you well and really hope you can find some relief from your suffering. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.