Blepharitis and lash extensions?

Posted , 34 users are following.

I have been wearing lash extensions for four years. About six months ago, my eyes started bothering me. I didn't think too much of it until I saw my opthamologist yesterday. She said the pours in my eyelids were clogged and she diagnosed me with blepharitis. I asked if I should have my lashes removed and she said yes, it's a start. Has anyone else developed blepharitis after wearing lash extensions? The woman who does my lashes is extremely professional and is considered the best in my area. I'm hoping I can remove my lashes for a month or so, develop a regime that clears things up, then go back to having lashes. I appreciate any feedback.

2 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have worn my extensions for 2 years never an issue until this past week. I got my normal 3 weeks refill and the next day I woke up with a swollen eyelid. It was red and have crust on it. Mind you, I wash my eyelashes 3 times per week as we are supposed to and my tech is very clean and professional. However here I was with a swollen eye. I went to work and of course everyone have to ask about my eyelid. I’m lucky to be working in a healthcare environment, so one of the doctors took a look at my eye and told me “ja! That’s blephiritis!” Washed them very throughly two times a day with baby shampoo, and use this antibiotic outopic in your eye lid every 12 hours. I asked her, should I take my extensions off, and the doctor said “if it doesn’t get better in 24 hours I would, but if you see improvement leave them, you do t want the tech messing with the already fragile skin of your eyelid. However, do not put them anymore and when you get better take them off” 

Fortunately for me my eyes got better 12 hours after the treatment! And it wasn’t a necessity to take the extensions off, I feel some itchung and slowly is getting better. The inside of my eye is kind of red but that also can be because m washing it so much (you are not supposed to touch your eyes so much)

I’m planning to take my extensions off when my skin gets healthier and stronger. Right now is kind of sore, but I’m never going back to the extensions. If I would try something maybe would be a serum to make them grow and that it’s if I don’t fler up when I put make up on.

It was a very scary expirience and still is, but I guess I learn. I’ll keep you updated after I take them off and if I’m able to wear make up. 

Good luck to all of you! 

• Posted

Hi ..I just found this site and I'm not sure its the right 1 4 me..My name is Mary and I have been diagnosed w/ bletharitus and dry eye ..I am trying everything and am going crazy, nothing seems to work and I could really use some help..u gals seem to have it pretty much under control..I use just wet wipes and baby shampoo and take doxiceline..but my eyes burn so much ..and the light bothers me ..does anyone have anything better they can help me with? 

• Posted

Some folks have good luck with Manuka honey. Keep reading the forum -- there are conversations describing how they use it. Each person responds differently. Good luck.
  • Posted

I wore lash extensions for about 2 years when I had a very bad reaction at my fill in December. My eyelids got red, swollen, itchy, and when I woke up the next morning there were flakes of crust at the base of my lashes. When I used tweezers to peel off the flakiness then I saw that the pores at my lash base were oozing pus. I went to my optometrist who said it was blepharitis. I washed them 3 times a day with baby shampoo and tried just about everything from cerave lotion, neosporin, and other first aid ointments and hydrating lotions. The swelling went down after about a week, and then I had my lashes removed. But the flaking, crusts, itching, redness, continued for two months. Nothing worked for like 2 months. My eyelid still looked like something was wrong with it. I did wear some eye makeup to cover it up and to look semi decent at work. It was such a horrible time and it never seemed like it was getting better at all even after using baby shampoo 2-3 times a day, got compresses, moisturizing lotions and healing ointments. Finally, after two months I decided to try this ointment that my Dr prescribed for some eczema awhile back and also started using tea tree oil when washing my kids. The blepharitis cleared up like in less than a week! I am debating on whether I should try extensions again in another month or so since I’ve been blepharitis free for about a month now. Good luck! It sounds like the effects are very variable and not very consistent for everyone. I’ll report back again if I get lash extensions put back on again.

• Posted

I was also getting lash extensions and they looked so good I never had to wear a drop of makeup. After a few years of that my eye lashes were thining out so bad she had to put on shorter lashes which I hated. Not long after this happened and I was getting crust along my lashes. I had to stop wearing the extensions at that point and I almost had no lashes left and that was partly cause the extensions pull out your natural lashes everytime you go in for a fill in and they remove the old ones. It took three months to grow back my own lashes. I found out I got bleh and severe dry eyes from doing that to them. I decided not to do extensions ever again. I never did think it was very safe because of how much my eyes burned doing that. She was very good at her job but did say if she ever missed with the solution and got any in my eyes it could blind me. Everyone can make a mistake.

I wasn't going to take that chance. I have gone back to makeup. 

• Posted

Hi,

I had my ladhes freshly done, never done before, just wanted to try for a change, as I never had many lashes.

So I got the infection in mo time, googled up what to do and it was gone, 2 months in wearing lashes and I'm still under control.

You have to have a good cleaning routin every night and rinse in the morning, including your lashes, you might lose few, but if you are gentel it will be minimal and better than having eye infection.

1. Run water tap, short of in between luke warm water to cool.

2. Scoop it with your hsnd over your face.

3. Don't rub your eyes!!

4. Take your gentel cleanser, like simple, foam it in between your hands and gently foam your face including your eye area, very gently (super siper gently) massaging your lashes too.

5. Rinse it off by scooping water over your whole face.

6. Take a soft face towel and gently pat dry your face, including your eye are.

7. Take a clean lash brush (no mascara, nothing) and gently brush/separate your lashes.

I did this, no infections and lashes lasted long (3 weeks and still going strong, no need in fills yet).

• Posted

Pores

• Posted

I've had lash extensions for the last year. Last 3 times really red, swollen, sore, itchy, really heavy crusting. Patch testing in various salons all good.

I don't wear lots of makeup.

I need a diagnosis so seeing my doctor tomorrow. Really don't want to remove yet another set.

• Posted

I am going through much the same.  I had my extensions for about a year and a half.  However, there was one occasion when the woman who did my lashes had a sore-looking eye herself and surprise, surprise, two days later I had one too.  Eventually this cleared up but I think it was the start of everything.  I have never suffered from anything like this before and have used eye make-up all my life.  Finally I had the extensions taken off because I seemed to be getting conjunctivitis  off and on for much of the time.  I then used false eyelashes whenever I wanted to look a bit glam, but soon they were causing problems as well.  Finally have been to the Eye Clinic and have had blepharitis diagnosed and there is NO chance of having extensions again.  Even with wearing no eye make-up at all (ugh) it flares up in one eye or another and I am now so careful to keep my eyelids clean, and use hot compresses twice a day to help unblock the pores.  Have bought a good one which is electrically heated so don't have to flog up and downstairs to a microwave.  Hopefully given time, I may get this under control.  But lash extensions? - never again!!

• Posted

Dear Susan,

People who have lost eyelashes due to Blepharitis have had them grow back in after using the Wet Ones, antibacterial handwipes.

I had Blepharitis and was able to kill it using the antibacterial wipes as it was a Staph infection. 

If you are interested I post on this site how to use them and how to use eye makeup at the same time and kill the Blepharitis too.

I post what I did and used to kill it. If you are interested look on this site or let me know if yo want the info.

Lynda79

• Posted

It seems the girls are maybe getting contagious eye problems from where the extensions are being put on. The salons are passing bacteria to the ladies coming to get their eyes done.
    • Posted

Most common reason are demodex, which are a genus of tiny mites that live in or near hair follicles of mammals. Around 65 species of Demodex are known. Two species live on humans: Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis, both frequently referred to as eyelash mites.
  • Posted

Demodex is a genus of tiny mites that live in or near hair follicles of mammals. Around 65 species of Demodex are known. Two species live on humans: Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis, both frequently referred to as eyelash mites. Google it uo and view the images!
  • Posted

Dear susan,

If you are thinking it is mites instead of Blepharitis there is a way to tell. The mites leave elongated tubular deposits on the lashes. That is their poo. Look sideways and you will be able to see this in a mirror. One hundred percent of people over the age of 90 get this problem. 

I had a friend in a rest home who had it. I could see the deposits.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.