Blepharitis Cause Question

Posted , 3 users are following.

It was around Jan 2013 when i noticed i had a ton of pain in my eye.  I had the crusting pain and everything and pain was a lot.  I had it for few days and then waited until 1 full week where i decided to see an eye doctor.  This was when i was told i had blepharitis.

During that week when i first got the pain and then for like the next 7 months, i couldn't really wear contacts because of the pain.  However, i felt like my blepharitis was caused because the few days before that, i had the heat turned up really hot in my room it was like 90 degrees so i went to bed when it was like an oven in a room.  Note it was the winter and very cold so i turned the heat on but couldn't turn it off and left it on for like 3 days or so.  I couldnt turn the heat off and thats why.

I had thought this was the direct cause to it.  Eye doctor said it could be because of infection, acne etc.  I also had a pretty bad acne around that time and also had sebhorric dermatitis and i read thats a cause as well.  The eye doctor said they didnt know what the actual cause was but said it could be any of these.  First off, would any eye doctor actually know the direct cause or not?  I assume its not possible?

A question that i really want to know is does blepharitis just develop overnight or over the cause of a few days?  Because i really believe the direct cause was b/c of the heat in my bedroom and i went to sleep when it was really hot and that could have caused it.  Or could this have been building for weeks or months and then i got the blepharitis?  I worn contacts for 10 years and never had an issue and i dont believe contacts was the reason for this though i wear contacts all day and rarely wore glasses before i got blepharitis.

I love to know if anyone knows if someone can develop blepharitis due to overnight or over course of few days or its something that takes weeks or months for it to develop.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi  drew , like yourself , i seem to have got  blepharitis the same way . in jan 13 i was off my work for two weeks and stayed in the house with the heating on rarely going out .it was then i sterted getting itchy eyes and went to the doctor .they gave me drops .i didnt use them as often as i should and after several weeks started noticing that my eyes were always sore in the morning . wearing contacts is now almost impossible but my optician s just says to use antihistomine pills and ill be ok  . i believe they two weeks in  a warm house caused this , too late now but i manage using wet one s and tea tree wipes to keep them clean .

• Posted

Hi.  Do you believe thats 100 percent what caused it for you?  How high was the heat on though?  When i had heat turned off, it had to been at least 90 degrees in my small bedroom.  This was when it felt like 20 degrees due to it being the winter and this was around early january 2013.  Strangely this happened to you around same time period as well january 2013?

I know i had it on for 3 days straight and basically a day or two after that was when i had the most pain in my eyes ever and had all the crusting.  I never ever had that before this and i could't think of another cause of it.

• Posted

Im  pretty sure it was ,took it awhile to develop and as mrsmop says didnt think it was that bad until 6 months down the line .doesnt matter what caused it now , it s a matter of deaing with it and curing it , some useful info on this forum   

• Posted

When did you notice the blepharitis?  You said you stayed inside for 2 weeks and heating on.  Did you notice it after 1 week or after 2 weeks?   Did you had lot of pain and thats when you noticed it?  Or was it the crust in the eyes if you had that?

So when you first got it, it wasn't that bad?  It wasn't until 6 months later it was the worst?  For me, it was the worst when i first got it.  It was pretty bad like 5 months later on as well until 5 months after that, i started using wet ones which helped a lot but it doesnt seem to be effective anymore.

How high was the heat though?  Was the heat warm or was it like reallly really hot?  i can't imagine it was 90+ degrees like mine right?  Also was the heat in your entire apartment/house?  For me, it was just my room but room is very small.  I even opened the windows after the 2nd day or so but it was way too hot.  I even opened my door of my bedroom but heat was really hot.

Im so upset at this situation b/c had i gotten help to turn off the heat say the following day, this probably wouldn't have happened.  I had those old heat furnaces where when u turn it on... its really hard to turn off.

• Posted

after 2 weeks ,just a slight pain .i really dont think it was that warm.. it doesnt matter now though . as i said ive got it and have to deal .
    • Posted

Do you think theres a chance it could be anything else?  Do you have another reason of how this could have happened?  Do you have sebhoric dermatis by any chance or acne of some sort?  I have both however, im sure heat was the cause for mine.
    • Posted

do some research on it , theres plenty of discussions on here that are really helpful and understanding .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.