Blepharitis help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started having issues with Blepharitis end of January 2018 just weeks after having my first baby. I also got rosacea during pregnancy and have been told it may partially be associated. It started with red and watery and crusty eyes muchime pink eye and was treated as such. Months later I self diagnosed myself and then it was confirmed by an ophthalmologist who only told me to keep doing what I have been doing baby shampoo wash after warm compresses. Currently I just have a little crusty stuff that happens at night and some discharge during the day but not as bad as it was. I also have a bump on one eyelid that goes down to my lash line and has a bump on it. My eyes aren’t red or watery. They do itch now and then. I picked up Wet Ones but not sure if my symptoms match those of you that have used this method? I need some type of hope!! I also miss wearing makeup so bad...I know I can’t do much but any ideas on what works that is ok? Mascara, eyeshadow? Etc... 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was in the same boat as you. I started trying everything,I cant wear any mascara,eyeliner,or anything with black pigment,that swells the lid but I can wear eye shadow as a eyeliner and eye shadow. The eye shadow is a powder and doesn't bother me as much as the mascara and liner,hope this helps!!!!!!

• Posted

I use a dark brown shadow as a liner and then use it on top and a light beige on the rest!!!! smile keep trying till you find what works,you will!!!!
  • Posted

Dear Starmile8,

I was able to kill the Blepharitis that I had. My husband killed his too. He had the little white bumps on his eyes and we thought it was allergies

If you are not allergic to detergents or fabric softeners then you should try the Wet Ones. It does take over 3 months and I did not miss a day.

I had the terrible itching and managed to put it into my other eye so both had the itching.

I was able to wear makeup and kill it at the same time.  If you need that info let me know.

The wipes I used are not in the UK. I am in the US. The last ingredient is Barbadensis Leaf Juice. I also used the yellow ones with the same ingredients to make sure they were O K to use too. Some of the ones in Red boxes have a different formula.

I found it to be a Staph infection. I used the wipes for 4 times a day for about a week then went down to 3 then to just 2 times a day for the last couple of months. 

My daughter killed a stye with it too. She said it was gone in 2 and a half days but she kept using the wipes for 4 days to make sure. Several people have mentioned how they have had their eyelashes grow back in too.

I bought new makeup and never double dipped into anything as you don't want to get it back.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Yes please any info on it would help. Did it get worse for you when you started the Wet Ones before it got better? I only ask because I started using them 2 days ago and my eyes have gotten more goopy/discharge and more itchy (like they were about a month or two ago) since using it. Not sure if it’s connected or not. And with the makeup I figure I’ll need to throw out my old makeup, do you use any type now or did you buy certain kinds. Thank you! 
    • Posted

Is “aloe barbedenis leaf juice” as the last ingredient the same thing as barbedenis lead juice. Will these work?
    • Posted

Dear Mt125,

Yes it is the same thing. 

Lynda79

• Posted

Dear Starmile8,

First, you have to use the Wet Ones from the US. The UK ones are harsher. You, also, have to use the ones that the last ingredient is Barbadensis Leaf Juice. There is red Wet One that is different. The yellow ones can be used too. 

I did not have any problem using them but I only had the itching. Just make sure you are not allergic to detergents fabric softeners or the lanolin that is in these.Do you have sensitive skin? These wipes kill Staph but is is a small amount of the agent that does the job so it takes a long time.  The antibacterial agent is Benzethonium Chloride at .3%.

It is not the kind of makeup you use it is just not re-infecting yourself. Make sure to use 2 wash cloths one for each eye when cleaning or removing makeup. This was mentioned by a Dr. online too.

I bought new and I bought throw away wands for mascara. I used 1 for each eye and never double dipped into the mascara. I got makeup applicators that look like Q-tips, flat one side and pointed on the other. I used the pointed one for putting on eyeliner. I used dark eye shadow instead of pencils for this time period. I just never put anything used back into the new makeup. 

You could have a gland problem too.

If you get into your eye while cleaning it off with the wipe just put water or eye drops that do not have preservatives in them. I have dry eye so use them. 

I wrapped around my finger tip and just went across one time on each eye but using a clean section of the wipe. I tore them into 8 sections (that was how they were folded) You can close your top eyelid and wipe across. 

Make sure you have the right wipes and as long as you are not sore or irritated from them they are probably working on the Staph.

This took me over 3 months to kill on my lashes. You can use them 2 times a day and they will work too but probably a longer time to kill it. Jill, who posted on this site, had her lashes grow back and so have several others. 

Be sure and look up every word on the internet to see for yourself what is involved with your problem. Look up Benzethonium Chloride and see how it works.  The more informed you are the better you will be able to handle your problem.

If you cannot use the wipes there are people who have posted, on this site, about using Tea Tree Oil and Manuka honey to get relief too. 

You may want to use the Tea Tree Oil and baby shampoo mixture to wash your eyes off. Look up Dena's info. She had the ratio to use these together. People have said it helps.

Hope I covered what you needed but if not let me know.

Lynda79 

• Posted

Thanks Lynda! I am in the US and using the Wet Ones from here. I double checked the ones I got (red ones, fresh scent) and they have the ingredients you mentioned. So looks like I got the correct ones. I’m just wondering then if your symptoms seemed to get a little worse when first starting using them before it got better? It’s weird that mine got worse when I started and it makes me nervous! Thanks! 
  • Posted

Dear Starmile,

No it did not get worse. It felt better and helped the itching. You may be allergic to the 

quats. If it keeps up you may have to switch to other ways to control it like Manuka honey or Tea Tree Oil. 

Doctors (online) talk about using antibiotics on the eyelashes and call it "off label use". I talked to a doctor and told him that Doxycycline used in the Dental application was said to have a long lasing effect on Staph. I told him if I get that back I would use that on my eyes. He said he would write me the prescription. 

I posted that dental info on this site. 

The doctor I went to have me a prescription for antibiotics 3 times to put in the eye. I asked him about putting it on the lashes where the problem was located. He said that some got on them. 

Maybe this info can help you. If your eyes do not feel better then you may need to stop the use of the wipes and read more on this site. One person, Dena, mentioned about using one drop of Tea Tree Oil and a drop of shampoo and washed the eyes with that. Of course, eyes closed. 

Let me know how you are doing and I am sorry if wipes don't work for you as just under 20% of people are allergic to the quats.

Lynda79

• Posted

I use Wet Ones too- not every day but a few times a week just in case

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.