Blepharitis help....its helped me within a week....so read on!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'd been suffering with dry eye margins and blocked tear ducts for a few weeks, eye margins were itchy, classic red around my eyes especially in the outer corners, the build up of water causing the inner eye to swell as well as puffy eyelids.

I have heard that doxycyline is helpful and that the pollen does not help things.   I have never suffered from hayfever or allergies in my life til now...but I started taking an antihistimine daily as well as a doxycycline (on prescription)   My optician advised me to bathe in dilute baby shampoo but it just exacerbated the situation.   I read somewhere  the other day about the magic ingredient that is found in baby wipes....I couldn't find any with it in but I found it in Optrex Eye Wash.....instead of bathing the eye with the eye bath, each night after washing I have been using a saturated cotton wool pad to bathe each eye night and morning, at night I also put a good amount of Goldeneye cream over the margins.    On waking I  again bathe eyes with the Optrex on cotton wool and then another coating of Goldeneye BEFORE going to wash or shower.....this makes a barrier and stops the skin drying out on washing rest of face (your eyes have been cleansed previous anyway with the Optrex) after you get out of the shower or from washing check that the Goldeneye is still there, if not apply a tiny bit more around the eye margins.     I can honestly say, mine has all but disappeared within days....I hope this will help someone, please let me know if it does, mine might have been more mild that other peoples but it was quite noticeable.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, meant to say the "magic ingredient" in Optrex is the Benzethonium Chloride.
    • Posted

Are you sure that it is Benzethonium not Benzalkonium Chloride. The one that I bought in UK is Optrex Action Eye wash with Benzalkonium Chloride. Anyway it seems that both work well, Lynda has recommended wet ones wipes with Benzethonium but in UK I could only find the ones with Benzalkonium. They helped a lot but I am not totally cured this is probably because I had blepharitis for 5 years before starting to use them.

Take care.

Margot

• Posted

Probably Margot without checking but I know it was the "magic ingredient" I had seen talked about in Wipes.....thought they were the same, just using slightly different names, here and the USA.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm in the UK....what is goldeneye?

By the way its not babywipes you are look for......its hand wipes with that ingredient in it and epending where you are you might have to order on line.

Sorry but where does this goldeneye go......on the outside {lids] or on the inner rims? Does it matter if it goes in the eys?  I'm asking these questions and dont even know what it is LOL

Eileen

• Posted

Hi maria96167

I use wet ones (uk) light blue packet they have benzalkonium chloride in and i use optrex eye drops for tired eyes. They were like magic to my eyes as i had been suffering since 2003/4 when i came upon this site by accident and read a post by Lynda79 and took her advice and as they say the rest is history!! I have only been using them for about 4/5 wks and i am clear but keep using them  so i hope this helps you as wellrolleyes I would like to know  what goldeneye is to?the wet ones are also avilable in the dark blue pack

• Posted

Goldeneye is an eye ointment available at the pharmacy, its got an antibiotic in it, it acts like an emollient, keeps the eye area from going dry and tight and also treats the margins at the same time....as I say put it on at night and in the morning after bathing your eye in Optrex (or wipes) BEFORE you shower or wash as it acts as a barrier to stop the eyes drying out.....think that is really the main help in getting rid of it and combatting anything that comes out of the eye burning the surrounding skin.       I will look at the wet ones, but the bathing the eye area with Optrex gives a good feeling and actually designed for the eye....so I'll use this up first, should last some time.     Cannot imagine what its like to have this condition indefinitely, its been driving me mad the short time I had it....
    • Posted

Hi Maria

Thanks for the information...I've not come across that one before LOL

I've had my blepharatis 3 years or so but it is more or less cured now,

With wet ones, over the counter eye drops and Boots ordinary ointment but its always handy to have other tips  that help others

Thanks

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks Eileen,

Which ointment do you use from Boots please.     Hopefully I won't need to continue with the Goldeneye once the tube has finished as it was about £5 but hopefully can find something cheaper if I do need it.

Its sad that people seem to be out on their own often for years when it comes to treating this often chronic condition but others have been able to find a fairly simple remedy by doing a bit of digging on google, which is how I found this site.    Thanks, the additional  tips I received have helped me in double quick time. 

• Posted

Hi Maria

Its called Boots Lubricating Eye Ointment

I use it when my eyelids itch or sometimes they are sore at the outer corners,

Sorry this is brief but something is wrong with the site or my computer????

Eileen

• Posted

Eileen,    I'm in the UK.    Re. Goldeneye,  I close my eye and smear it over the general area, including underneath, because it acts as a barrier cream.    Hopefully, like me, once the dryness is sorted it won't be required again or all the time.   My Blepharitis is only a few weeks old, my eyelids WERE red and swollen and the area around my eyes was looking red and irritated, but no longer!    I did take doxycycline though which apparently helps and I also used Boots value pack antihistimines, all this seemed to coincide with the Very High pollen in recent weeks, so I think maybe attacking from all angles has been the key.

Good luck anyone, my heart goes out to anyone suffering this on a long term basis....its such a visible thing to all that see you - your eyes.

• Posted

As I recall, Goldeneye is an 'old' ointment, which has chloramphenicol in it.  I remember it from the 70s.
  • Posted

Hi Maria, I started at the bottom and worked up!  I'm glad you have sorted out your eyes.

Be wary of the anti histamine, it can cause dry eyes.  I suffered badly with hayfever from a very young age, thankfully, when I hit my 40s, it went away.  People who didn't suffer as a child, often find that it develops in later life, which might explain why you have it now.

• Posted

Thanks MsMop!    I'm not even sure I did have hayfever or whether the lack of draining from the eyes (tears holding back and then draining in one large noticeable drip!) was making my nose "sniff" but thanks for the warning....I'll stop using it soon, just tackling the eye problem from all angles and it seems to have worked....I hope I've cracked it for good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.