Blepharitis Knowledge

Posted , 5 users are following.

The current site has an excellent explanation of the" dreaded Bleph condition " .

For those who'd like to know more regarding the study of the bacteria and causes I'd like to suggest http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2946818/

Great articles PLUS some excellent photos of the mites magnified for examination .

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting article.  The Wet Ones have solved the issues I was having but I would like to find the eyelid scrub that has tea tree oil as a back up.  Do you know where toi buy it?  Thank you for sharing this article.
    • Posted

hi sandra , I'm afraid that i haven't been able to find the tea tree products as yet , but i'd imagine that they'd be quite " strong" and to be used cautiously . I think Henry has used them and commented upon their use . I found the article very imformative as to where and what the mites feed on . The photos of the mites has certainly made me want to resolve the problem ENTIRELY rather than just to manage the problem to make it more bearable !
    • Posted

Decided to order them from Amazon  Will let you know how they work....I definitely am all about eradicating the the mites!
    • Posted

Dear Sandra,

I just found out that there are tea tree oil moistened swabs and they are called either Clinadex or Cliradex. Could not read my own notes.

Check online and see where to buy them.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi Lynda, My eyes are getting better. I used wet ones for a week. But dermetogist made me stopped everything I was doing for UC, Acidity and Blepharitis.  I see few dandruff like flakes on the scalp.  It feels like something is crawling. What do you think is going on? Dermetologist even did not look at the scalp and told me to stop everything but prescribed meds.  I have made another appointment with another dermetologist. I appreciate your help. 
    • Posted

Lynda,

I found them on Amazon.  The Wet Ones are still working and I am only using them twice a day, but after reading about the mites I wanted some back up with Tea Tree Oil.  Thank you.  Do you still use the Wet ones?  I guess it is possible to always need them to some degree, but my eyes are so much better.

Sandra 40102

• Posted

Dear Shortwoman,

A doctor would have to answer that one unless someone on this site has the same thing. I do know the wipes work for the mites too. They use tea tree oil (for mites called demodex) and it kills staph too.

I hope you find out what it is soon.

Lynda79

• Posted

Dear Sandra,

Actually, I don't use the wipes any longer except for my hands. It has been over a year and a half since I killed it. I started posting after it was gone for over 6 months as waited as doctors said it would come back. My friend's has not come back. I had the terrible itching kind.

If I leave my mascara on a long time I will sometimes use an antibacterial hand soap to clean my lashes just to make sure. Like I said, fear is a great teacher sometimes. Don't want to go down that road again.

It did take over 3 months to kill it. I did not miss a day. The last 2 months were 2 time a a day. Some have gotten rid of it doing it 2 times a day as they worked.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

I think mine is close to being cured.  I am using wipes twice a day now and my eyes look the best they have in years.  I will continue until it is all gone.  Can't thank you enough for posting this site.

I have also been using Selsun Blue for shampoo and I put an ounce of Tea Tree Oil in it, so I have no more itchy scalp.

I have tried eye makeup but my eyes start getting itchy and I come right home and wash my face and use the wipes.  I am like you...never want to go back down that road.

Thanks,

Sandra

• Posted

Hi David, I was diagnosed with UC in May and now with Blephritis.  There is some connection.  How are you going to tackle Blepharitis? I have itchy tingling scalp too.
    • Posted

hi " shorty " , at present mine isn't too bad , I was diagnosed with the Melbomian Blepth so i'm doing the usual routine of cleansing , warmth , gland massage and more cleaning . Mine seems to go away for a few days then comes back . I'm looking mostly at what would life uncomfortable for the mites and my glands uninviting to them . Having seen the images makes me feel as though i now know my " opponent " . I'm yet to try the red packed wet ones , so that is next on the list .

Since lacrilube has changed the formulae and made it clear and more viscous it helps the over-night dryness . I'm hoping that the ointment isn't tasty to the mites !

urticaria could well be resonsible for  the annoying and horrible feeling of being over-run with nasties . I've been there years ago and it was awful .Luckily a 2nd opinion resulted in steroid treatment and within 5 days all but about 99% of the problem had dissappeared . Have been taking daily antihistamines for umpteen years since but of late have only being taking one is i really need it . Consultant said that they can add to the problem of dryness of the eyes .

A 5 day intake of extra strength cod liver oil seemed to help , I've knocked that down to just twice a week now .

• Posted

hi , so sorry to hear of your UC diagnosis .

Regarding your itching , just noticed this from another sufferer

" MINERAL OIL Sensitivity- the Cause of my Blepharitis and MGD

MINERAL OIL Sensitivity- Caused Seboreic dermatitis on my scalp, of which a trip to the dermatologist and some doxycycline for 6 weeks combined with Enteric coated Garlic Capsules and some ketoconazole shampoo

Cured the inflammation and dry skin. "

• Posted

Hi David, How do I know what kind of Blepharitis I have?  I went to 3 eye doctors and all three only mentioned Blepharitis.  Currently I am only doing warm compress, massage and lid cleaning twice a day. Also using Castor Oil on eye lid and eye brows.  Do mites like Castor Oil? I just use Gel drops at night and lubricant at day as needed.  I cannot use Wet Ones, according to Dermetologist's order.  Anything else can I do to improve my condition?  Also would you recommend any youtube video for eye massage.  I watched few, but no idea what technique is the best.
    • Posted

hi , I'm not sure about the castor oil and whether the mites would find it attractive or not .

At night you can't beat lacrilube as it works for much longer . I'd prefer to use viscotears GEL as it isn't so messy  but unfortunately it doesn't last long enough to get me through the night . Often during the day i may put a single drop in each eye and it doesn't get messy .

There does seem to be some conflict as to the " massage" . The info i mentioned in the research has got me using more passes , still from side to side but starting away from the glands probably start and moving progressively nearer the rim of the eyelids .( i'm using the end of a pencil rubber with a tiny bit of lube on it ) there's also conflict as to whether the eyes are open or not . Afterwards i always feel as though some natural lubricant has been squeezed up into the eyes . sometimes it may be the odd tiny blob so i'll wipe that away with a cotton bud tip soaked in a bit of Bleph liquid cleaner . If i poke the eye i'll follow up with an eye drop or two .

The consultant told me that it was the melbomian type and i would GUESS that the fact that i don't get mess in the lashes is a pretty good indicator , i would have thought , that i don't have either of the other 2 types . He backed up my GP with the use of the lacrilube at night and the viscotears GEL sparingly during the day . The drops he prescribed had unfortunately been stopped from production in Germany but i believe that they have been available for quite a few months again . I can't remember what they were called .

A hot wet flannel and soap first thing in the morning removes most of the overnight sticky residue before going for the proper cleaning regime .

i can't recommend any videos as I've lost my notes on the subject ! i think that being aware of the glands and thinking about them whilst " massaging " is the best idea . Many lightish strokes per gland area is what i've recently switched to . I get a better feeling of doing a proper job with a "tool" by using the pencil with the rubber on the tip rather than using the finger tip method as shown to me .

i take it you're using the castor oil as a moisturiser after cleaning ? makes you wonder if the mites might find it a medium to live / travel in ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.