Blepharitis: make up and contact lenses, HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone! I’m 26 and I’ve been struggling with blepharitis (plus seborrhoeic dermatitis) and MGD for 6 months now, and after months of steroids, antibiotics ointments and lubricating eye drops, it looks like my condition has improved, but to me I still have the same issues and still struggle with foreign body sensation on the outer corner of my R eye, from time to time. I am now doing a 3 months course of Lymecycline and warm mask compress 2 times a day. Some days I feel like I’m pain free and some days are bad. On my good days I’ve tried to put a little touch of mascara (No 7 hypoallergenic) but after 1 hour it tends to bring all the pain and discomfort back. 

I used to wear contacts and I haven’t since I’ve found out about my conditions. Any specific suggestions on makeup brands that work well with this condition?Any experience with contacts? Any of you wearing them? Do they bother your eyes? Ps Englishbis not my first language so, sorry for any typo or grammar errors! smile

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you are using an dandruff control shampoo it contains tar which you can let run down over your closed eyes when you shower and wash your hair. Its supposed to help control the bacterial condition that results in bleph. 

Yoyr eye makeup is contaminated. Throw it all out imcluding the brushes you dver used to apply it. If after fetting a handle on bleph you want to return to using mascara huy a bag full of disposible mascara wands online using one for each eye when you apply. This keeps your new mascara bacteria free. 

A couple drops of tea tree oil in baby shampoo gently rubbed across tightly closed eyes first thing in tge morning and begore bed, waitimg a full minute begore rinsing thoroughly will be beneficial to maintaining the best possible status you can attain. 

I went tge doxy route for two years (2 werks on 2 weeks off) until i began to worry about using antibiotics for such a long term. 

NOW i do the tea tree and baby shampoo a m and p m, use WetOnes antibacterial wipes (cut into 8 pieces and kept in a small jar) up to 3 times during the day depending on how my eyes are feeling, flush them with plain warm water occassionally, always wash my face paying  special attentipn to my lids whenever i come in from being out in the city streets and use either REFRESH or SYSTANE eye drops as needed. 

I do have an occassional bad flareup that seems to come out of nowhere and then im sensitive to broght lights cannot use my iPhone or other devices cannot read and my eyes puff up and hurt. Then i take the doxy for two weeks until i feel normal again and resume the routine outlined above. When this happens gently applying coconut oil under my eyes which get terribly raw and puffy is a great relief as its natural and has terrific antibacterial properties. 

Its taken me years to get a handle on this and everyones story is a nit different. I hope this info helps. 

Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.