Blepharitis with no crusting or stickiness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with Blepharitis but I have no crusting at all on my eyelashes or lid margins, yet I have been told to do the lid scrubs. I reckon I need to see a second opinion as surely a blepharitis sufferer will have crusting / stickiness? I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this? Thank you... smile

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

https://patient.info/doctor/blepharitis-pro

Have you read this page Clinton?

I have suffered from Blepharitis for many years and have no visible crusting or stickiness.  I suffer from dry eyes along with a chronic form of Uveitis.

I clean my eyes twice daily and don't put any creams anywhere near them, apart from the lubricating gel that I have been prescribed and the other prescribed drops.

Have you followed your Ophthalmologist's instructions regarding the cleaning of your eyes?

• Posted

Hi MrsMop,

Thank you for your quick response. I will give that close attention later and report back. I have been using regular warm compresses twice a day and wash my eyelids thoroughly with baby shampoo (although that has irritated my eyes on many occasion).

I just don't seem to get any relief and when I get a bad bleph attack, my eyes burn like crazy, muscles all tense up around my eyes and will get chronic pain sometimes in the lacrimal sac area (outer upper lid corner) which does make me throw up sad

All this makes me think if it is something else, but I will perservere with this, and the drops he prescribed (systane), make my eyes burn like crazy so am using Hylo-Tear which don't really do anything for me. So I find myself running to the bathroom every hour to cool my eyes down by throwing loads of cool water on them which helps for a while after.

• Posted

Hi Clinton, I don't use baby shampoo because I am allergic to some of the ingredients in it.  I use a small drop of the handwash that I use, either Nivea or Palmolive - because they suit me.  Use something that you know you can use but a very tiny spot of it, like the shampoo or shower gel that you normally use.

The burning could be an allergy to something or dry eyes.  I used to use Liquifilm eye drops, which are relatively cheap to buy.  My Ophthalmologist changed my prescription to Hyabak lubricating drops, which you can also buy but they are more expensive.

Why don't you have a chat with your local Pharmacist and explain which drops you have tried.  Preservative free are best because it is often the preservatives that irritate the eye.

• Posted

Hi Mrsmop, thanks for this. What I will try is these wipes called "supranettes" in the morning and then in the evening, will just put a careful drop of moisturising hand soap on my fingers and carefully clean the eyelids / lashes with this. I am a highly anxious person and always have been and find when I am really down about this and my anxiety flares, so do my eyes. It makes me think how much of the pain I experience is anxiety related and how much is blepharitis related - mmmmmmmmmmmmmm???
  • Posted

there are different types of blepharitis Clinton
    • Posted

Thankyou Dena, I now realise - but it's annoying when you google blepharitis it always mentions crusting and stickiness, obviously the eye doctor saw this on a microscopic level when he performed a slit lamp examination.
    • Posted

Clinton, I'm sorry you having this issue. I hope you find relief. The wet ones were working well for me until I accidently poured essential oil in my eye in the middle of the night. I have a doctors apointment in a few days. Actually it appears my eye suffered little damage,but it really made the blef. worse in the one eye.
    • Posted

Ouch!!! That sounds real bad, surely you should have gotten yourself to A&E and not wait for a doctor??? One slly thing I did and it made my bleph worse was, on the left eyelid i took advice from someone on the internet (not through patient.co.uk) - whereby they said run a small aount of tea tree oil shampoo onto the lid and eyelashes as this is known to kill the fungus. I did this and ever since, I have pain in the lid and it will not go. Obviously the tea tree must have agravated the nerves in my eyelid - i do hope it will go in time and as for tea tree oil in your eye, I dread to think the pain you are going through now sad
    • Posted

clinton, t as late at nigh, and I didn't seem to suffer muuch il effects at all. It wasn't tea tree oil, whatit was didn't even hurt. there is no pain, but the bllef. in that eye is worse. I was very fortunate.
  • Posted

Hi Clinton,

I also have no crusting or stickiness most of the time.  I tend to get unbearable itching, redness, swelling, meibomium cysts/chalazions.  It's very rare that I ever get  sticky eyes.

Like mrsmop, I don't use the regular baby shampoo but I now use the Johnson's one in the white bottle which is fragrance free.  I use that at night.  I use the Optrex liquid for itchy eyes BUT NOT AS AN EYE WASH.  I tip a tiny bit into a cup and use two cotton buds dipped in the solution to wipe around where my eyelashes join my eye lids, bottom and top, going towards the inner corner, after washing.  In the morning I only use boiled water on a clean flannel and then the Optrex again.  I can't use lubricating drops - every type so far have made my eyes much worse.  It's rare that I have time to do the warm compresses, now, either.  I only remember to do those when I have a flare up. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, I will perservere with some supranette wipes and hope this eases it. What would be interesting and maybe I will create another topic, is when everyone gets these flareups - when do they occur and what are the symptoms of everyones flareups as I am guessing they are very different, possibly verging on unique???

In regards to eyedrops, some days my eyes feel better with them and others they get agitated. I tend to use Hylo Tear PF ones as kinder on my eyes but unfortunately the benefit is shorrt lived.

• Posted

When I was first diagnosed with Blepharitis it was the Posteria bleph and I didn't really have a lot of symptoms .... Dry eyes and a bit of redness and soreness .... This was about 3 years ago and I did start to clean my eyes morning and evening ...... But I seemed fine and tended to forget to clean my eyes till I didn't do it all ..... A few months ago I had a terrible flare up with the crustiness   soreness ..... It has been hell .... I had infections too and was prescribed antibiotics twice ...... I found this forum and found lots of help and other things to try. I have since put a face cloth over my eyes while in the shower on a morning letting the hot water run over it.....I then use cotton buds in a solution of the baby shampoo round the inside rim of my eyes ...... I also made a solution with castor oil and a few drops of tea tree oil and using a cotton bud rub some at the base of my lashes top and bottom ...... Also use lumecare long lasting eye gel. I do the same but with an warm eye bag early evening when I get in from work ..... Then before I go to bed I clean them again and using cotton bud rub manuka honey at the base of my lashes top and bottom ..... It does seem to be working with only a bit of a flare up now and again. My doctor has also prescribed dioxycillin ...... Which was first prescribed a couple weeks ago for a chest infection but we are trying them to see if they help me at all ...... 

Sorry I have gone on a bit but it has been because of this forum I found all these remedies and they are working very well ..... I also rub a little coconut oil under my eyes because I get awful lines there so am hoping it helps ..... It isn't yet though .... It is an absolutely awful thing to have !!!! 

• Posted

Thanks Gwynny, I may just try some of your suggestions and yes, I agree it is an awful disease for anyone to live with and I so hope one day they find a cure!! smile
  • Posted

Hello Clinton

I have had bleth for 4 years and it has been  depressing . You can gain control. I have been bleth clear for nearly 2 years now. I bought the bletha clean wipes from Boots and they were magic. I use the hylo tears 4 times aday 4 dry eye and bleth wipes morn and eve. Baby shampoo dries the eye lids after a while, i dont use it. Always keep ya hands clean and never itch ya eyes. Crusting eyes lids are usually conjunctavitis. The eye doc will be able to see bleth on ya lids with his eye testing machine.Most eye doc miss it and diagnose allergies. I use to put betnasol eye steriod on my eye lid margin  for 2 yrs am and pm until the bleatha clean wipes. You can get them on prescription as they are expensive. Be patient and you will get there. Good luck. debbie.

• Posted

Hi debbie47456

these wipes you use what exactly are they called and can you buy them over the counter ? 

• Posted

Hi Gwynny

You can buy them from boots. They are called Blephaclean wipes. If you buy them cut the wipe in half. You dont need to use one wipe for one eye as they are quite big. 20 in a pack and cost about £9.50. You can get them on prescription, a little bit cheaper if you have to pay for prescriptions. These wipes gave me back my life. Can wear make up again. Eyes not sore and red. I use these wipes twice aday if i dont bletharitis comes back straight away. Getting the sun on the eye lids help as well. Let me know how you get on. debbie

• Posted

Thanks very much I will call on Friday and get some ( at work all week ) will let you know ... Although my eyes are so much better than when it first flared up its still "there" and really getting to me .... I even bought new glasses with a slight tint and they have helped too .....its cost me an absolute fortune up to now. I did try the wet ones but they made my eyes worse so am obviously allergic to them ..... My doctor keeps telling me she will refer me to eye casualty at the hospital but hasn't yet ...... Am hoping the antibiotics will work. I read on another site and also on this one  100gm dioxicylin once a day for 1 month then a 50gm once a day for 2/3 months ..... Not sure if she will let me take them that long but will see ..... Can I ask. Does your eyes/bridge of nose swell up when your bleph flares up. ?? 
    • Posted

hi

Your doc should ref you  to the eye hospital clinic not casualty as they are really for emergencies. I went their twice and they will not tell you nothing about bleth. I went private in the end and was diagnosed that way and was put in the nhs system still seeing the private doc who does  nhs once a month. Put pressure on your doc. I was put on antibiotics dioxiylin and was horribly allergic to it. I kept with the eye steroids but this was only treating it on the outside. They gave me other long term tablets which you can take for as long as you like but i didnt. Thats when i found the blethaclaen wipes. When i do get a little flare up under my eyes go puffy. On the bridge of your nose is where it can get blocked just massage it and it will un block. Both my tear ducts blocked in 2011, this was  when all this happened with the glue from false eye lashes. Had to have needles put down my ducts to unblock. Horrid. Then i was told i had bleth. This was the trigger allergy to the glue. Drinking lots of water helps as well. debbie

• Posted

Thanks Debbie, I have brought some Supranettes which were about £4.00 in my local pharmacy so will try these for a bit but if it doesn't help, will try the bletha clean as you suggested. I may get my GP to put them on prescription as I use the pre-pay option as it has been costing me a lot of money lately since I picked up this terrible disease sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.