Blephex Treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm a long term blepharitis sufferer, from as early as I can remember (now 29).

I've tried the hot compressing over the years on and off but usually don't bother having seen minimal results.

I stumbled across a treatment called "blephex" a few days ago. Videos of the procedure can be found on youtube but it basically uses an electric device similar to a toothbrush across the eyelids to remove the debris/ bacteria.

I'm surprised not to see a thread on this already?!

This afternoon i attended an appointment to undergo the procedure. It was painless (tickled a little) and took around 20mins. The eyelids are still red / swollen but feel as fresh as I can remember.

Hopefully the redness reduces over time too but regardless I would definitely recommend looking into this treatment. It cost me £59 but I imagine the cost will vary depending on the clinic you book through.

Hope this helps

Daniel

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've done this treatment a lot. It's okay I would say.

It helped me a little bit but not that much really.

It's not a fix let's say. It might make you suffer a little bit less tho 😃

• Posted

So far Manuka Honey is best for controling symptoms. Dena

• Posted

Still have to try this.

What is the right procedure to do this?

I should probably start doing this...

• Posted

Dilute a small amount of Manuka Honey, but make it thick. Apply along all edges of eye lids with a q tip. This will burn a little, but it dosent harm your eyes at all. Make sure you dilute it with purified water, NOT tap water. Do this several times a day. It really helps, I have heared some say it cures Blepharitis, but I think I have dry eye. Either way, it helps.

• Posted

Daniel

I have been thinking about trying this treatment. Can you update me/us on your progress? Are you still using this treatment? Is it helping ?

I get so aggravated. With each new treatment I get hopeful that it will cure or put my Blepharitis into remission only to be disappointed when it doesn't. Most treatments I have read about do help but I get so very tired of having red irritated eyes from all the treatments.

Science and medicine can do so much these days. You would think someone could/would develop a cure. Each physician I complain to doesn't seem to care or have much advice.

Patti

• Posted

Hi Patti

I had the blephex treatment once back in december 18. Since then I have been using tea tree oil wipes (as recommended by the ophthalmologist carrying out the blephex) once or twice a day (usually before bed only). Occasionally i will heat an eye mask in the microwave for a minute and cover the eyelids for a couple of mins prior to using the wipes.

For the last 2 months or so i havent experienced any debris on my eyelids, the redness hasnt cleared but I believe it has probably reduced. Definitely feel like im experiencing less bad days than prior to the treatment. I dont know how much the improvement is down to the blephex or the tea tree oil wipes.

I dont think this treatment will completely cure or relieve the symptoms but has reduced them.

The ophthalmologist suggested returning in 6 months to have the blephex treatment again if i feel it necessary. I'll almost certainly do so.

It is bizarre and frustrating that there appears to be no cure for this.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Daniel, I think I have dry eye, but it may be blepharitis. The Tea Tree Oil, the Honey, no tears baby shampoo is what helps relieve my symptoms. I lo take fish oil, flaxseed oil, and oil of oregano capsules. mis a drop of tto and a dab of baby shampoo, wash eyes, rinse apply honey around eyelids with your clean finger. i also use systayne eye drops. use a mild face cream for your face, as it gets dry from washing it tree times a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.