Blephiritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had blephiritis for two years and tried various drops from the hospital and the chemist. I have dry eyes, and feels like grit in my eye, blurred vision in one eye.Any suggestions on how to improve my condition? Does anyone know if I would need to have my eye swabbed?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Grahame.

I've had Blephiritis for about 8 years now.  I have tried everything you can imagine.   I find the best way of keeping the condition under control is:  

Get an MGDRx Eye Bag for Blepharitis.  It is £14.45 from Amazon with free delivery.  Worth every penny.  You warm it in the microwave pop it on your eyes to allow it to let the oils in the eyes melt.  (you can feel it working).  About 10 to 15 mins will do.  Then gently massage the eyes to remove oils

Then using quite warm water bathe your eyes.  I use Body Shop tea tree facial wash in my water.   

My consultant said you can use Bicarbonate of Soda in the water (which I do once a week) but be very careful.  Only use a tiny pinch in a cup of cooled boiled water.

Do this 3 to 4 times a day for about 2 weeks to clear up the problem.  The secret I've found to be keep going at the treatment as it does take a while to initially clear it up.  Once cleared do this once a day and you should be ok.  I had to do it for 6 weeks when I first had the problem.

I wear contact lenses and would say don't wear them for a while if you use them.  The blurred vision should also sort itself out, but a visit to the optician never does any harm.

If the skin around you eyes gets sore, use a moisturiser specifically for the eye area.

I hope this helps and works for you.  I know only too well how it is for you.  But, remember, if you stop doing this it will soon creep back up on you.

Take care 

Netz

• Posted

That's the advice I was given at the eye clinic.

Bathing and massage eyelids with wam water and baby shampoo.

Use a warm compress to stimulate the oil glands along the edge of the eyelids.

The bicarbonate of soda treatment was suggested but I haven't done that as I only have a mild case.

If it is severe and eyelash margins are crusted it would help if a bicarbonate of soda soution was used. 

I like the sound of the eye bag so I shall have a look on Amazon for it.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Netz. I have an eye mask, which is very good but I will try using bicarbinate of soda. Grahame

• Posted

I got some Body Shop tea tree facial wash and it does help. Thanks for the tip. Grahame

• Posted

did you ever try restitas ? or they sell over the counter eye sab.  you have to use it at night its like putting vaseline in your eyes but when you wake up and wash your eyes it is ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.