Blergh days

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on 20mg mtx and take folio acid every other day. Although my joints and pain have greatly improved, I still have days where I feel woeful. I feel tired, lethargic, nauseous, and have sensitive sore muscles!

Does anyone else still have these days?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

They are called flares, part and parcel of RA.
  • Posted

Hi, i used to be on Methotrexate but for several years have been on Plaquenil and the last couple of years have been doing really well. Having said that there have still been days that have been "blergh",great word! Never lasts too long in my case maybe 3-4 days at most. What is so annoying is how they just seem to come out of the blue. I have been doing my best to get fitter and healthier and have been walking as briskly as i can manage for approx 35-40mins every day. I started to notice an improvement recently, getting up a small incline wasn't such an effort as it once was, my joints generally have been good. Far less pain in my feet. Then as i set off on my walk yesterday, mostly all on the flat, i could barely put one foot in front of the other! My joints weren't hurting but my legs just felt weird..A bit jelly like and so weak i felt like i had no energy at all. I pushed myself to keep going which was possibly the wrong thing because i ended up feeling worse and quite sick and a bit dizzy. Made it back to the car and husband drove us home and i flaked out as soon as i got in. Why was I like that? I don't know. How could i go from striding out enjoying my daily walks...at a reasonable pace..to being like that? I've woken up today feeling a bit snotty like the start of a cold..which i don't think i have so can only presume it could be a flare. All you can do is rest a bit and wait for it to pass and carry on. I'm so determined not to get too disheartened when it happens but it is very frustrating. Even after being told I'm most likely in remission i still have days like it. The thing that i don't understand is when my joints weren't hurting why did my legs feel the way they did...was more of a real weakness in the muscles. After almost 9 yrs of having RA I guess I'm still learning and struggling to get to grips with it. All the best.

• Posted

I was diagnosed last year..and was also put on MTX...it did help the pain...but i also felt like i had permanent morning sickness...

I explained this to my Rheumy..so shes put me on Sulphasalazine....only on week 6..and still having a few twinges and pain in my chest (breast bone..not chest in general)...but im hoping this eases cos i feel otherwise feel a lot better on these re side effects

SHELLY

X

• Posted

I'm on the same meds but have only been on them for a month and unfortunately no effect on aches, pains and sensitivity yet. I was surprised at tony35673's reply saying they were flares because I expected the meds to counter act the symptons. Seems I have a lot to learn! Finding this site invaluable. Thanks to all who offer experiences, information and support - it makes the journey easier!

• Posted

Have you been on it for long.? When were you diagnosed? It takes a while to work. If your joints are settled then it is unlikely to be a flare. Give it a few weeks but if you still feel the same then contact your rheumatologist because they have many other drugs that may work better for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.