Blew my nose and ruined my right ear

Posted , 3 users are following.

So the other day I blew my nose and soon after I had pressure and pain in right ear like fluid or something else was clogged in there. I've been congested the past few days but I don't think this is connected anymore. It's now not painful but just pressurized feeling and uncomfortable with ringing. I can still hear out of it but not well. The other side of my head altogether is fine. It's been almost a couple days now and I don't know what do as nothing has helped. Breathing exercises and chewing has done nothing and when I strongly breath out I can hear the air going in with more muddy amplification than the other. If I make a vocal sound while doing this I hear it very loud from the inside. If I blow it and get something it's always a crackly, squelchy sound. No discharge or anything on the outside. I'm not having any nausea or vertigo/dizzy spells. Just full, uncomfortable, and ringing.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Chris. it sound you might have fluid behind your ear drum or blocked Eustachian tubes. ive had ear problems since i was small and i know how you feel. its horrible have bad ears. Get an appointment with your GP as soon as possible. Ears are complicated things. I you feel better today.

• Posted

Yeah I did some exercise today where I sucked in hard and it got somewhat better when I felt some stuff dislodge in there. I'm gonna see what happens after my sinuses finally get fully over their thing right now because that's possibly what blocking it and in some freak accident I somehow while it was mostly blocked still got something up there which should be soon seeing as I'm not even having any more mucus and take it from there. I can definitely tell it's most likely fluid cause I can hear things up close but I can't hear anything fully and there's a bit of pressure but it's not painful. If I breathe out and concentrate on that area I can get a vibrating like sound out of it from the inside. So I don't think anything is directly damaged. Doing some research here for this situation it seems like people usually just get some antibiotics thrown at them and the rest is a waiting game while taking care of it.

I've never had this happen to me before, I listen to a lot of music and love nature too so this is extremely irritating. I guess I'll just pretend for now that I went to the loudest concert in the world and it's taking too long for my hearing to bounce back in the mean time. Praying for miracles, I can't believe something like this happened during a time where I was already stressed out.

• Posted

Update: I believe it's day 4 and it's starting to clear up. Some slight pressure and feeling of fluid behind the ear drum with ringing and dulled but better hearing than previous days. Only discomfort is that general feeling. The more mucus I get out which seems to be that thick clear gunk it feels a bit clearer. Been using a netti pot in the morning with warm salted water. I'll keep this up to date here on my progress as it gets better.

• Posted

hi Chris, any update? I'm experiencing something similar after blowing my nose and im on day 5. was prescribed antibiotic drops and an antihistamine. was there anything that ultimately resolved your issue?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.