Blind Patches when Exercising

Posted , 7 users are following.

Today I rode my mountain bike the first time since cataract surgery 9 weeks ago. I have a multifocal IOL implanted in the left eye only. Today was 30 degrees celsius (87F) and sunny. I cycled 44 miles or 71Km. When I'm perspiring heavily and some salty perspiration gets into IOL eye, I stop to wipe it away. I noticed I get blind patches in my sight. I have to rest a bit then the patches disappear and the vision returns. Has anyone had similar experiences?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I don't have any info about the blind patches with perspiration, but I am wondering about how long your surgeon said to wait before mountain biking?  I'm only 3 weeks out and I think my surgeon said 3 or 4 weeks.  I am most nervous about the dirt/dust so may wait longer, at least until I get my new Rx lens.  Blind patches sound pretty scary so I'd definitely try to get an MD to answer that question.

• Posted

I read on Livestrong that blind spots can occur because blood leaves the brain and eyes when exercising. It also said if you slow down or stop, the blood returns to the brain and eyes and sight returns. Yes when I slowed down or stopped, my IOL eye's vision returned. I'll have to adjust my cycling to this new occurance.

• Posted

4 weeks post surgery, my opthalmologist said I can return to my normal exercise routine -- cycling.
    • Posted

Just remember that the average age of the patients who get cataract surgery aren’t running marathons or triathletes.  Normal exercise for a 70 year involves walking. Your eyes are for the rest of your life - worth having them heal properly.  Everything I have read is at 3 weeks they are halfway healed - takes 6 weeks in all. Yes normal activities can resume but not sure about strenuous sport.
    • Posted

Didn't start using my mountain bike until 8+ weeks. One of the guys who cycles with us is 69. Some other cyclists I know are 73 and 82. Good life long sport.

• Posted

Not discounting seniors who do strenuous activity - good on them.  Just wanted to point out the average client your surgeon would see.  They are experts at eyes - maybe they are not best judge on what activities deemed usual or normal for cataract patients.  

If you are fine with it it’s your call but posting about blind spots after a long arduous ride isn’t something most of us here would be able to comment on or want to.  It sounded more serious and really something you should refer to a doctor about.

• Posted

Listen fatso, I know the most strenous exercise for you is brushing your teeth.  So keep your brush to yourself!
    • Posted

I am surprised moderators allow rude comments.  

Exercise has always been important to me - prior to cataract surgery one of my passions is running marathons.  Happy now to be able to do that again!

• Posted

Wow, what a rude reply! Are you having a blind patch on your brain....
    • Posted

Sue has mentioned how active she is including hiking and other outdoor activities, you're a jerk.

• Posted

I get the impression the only moderation is when someone post a link.
  • Posted

Go see a doctor! What kind of idiot posts a question about a potentially serious eye problem on a forum made up of patients with no doctors on it?
  • Posted

You also sound like you have some obsessive compulsive issues and should probably seek therapy for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.