Blink eye drops

Posted , 5 users are following.

At my eye doctors request I began using a product in the US called Blink Gel Tears. I just started using it a couple of days ago and I'm noticing something happens whenever I use it. Right after I put them in my eyes my eyes feel very gritty and irritated. This doesn't last very long I would say less than 30 minutes. I've Googled Blink Gel Eye Drops trying to find side effects for the drops and I cannot find side effects anywhere. Since it only lasts me 30 minutes I figure it can't be an allergy. But it is not refreshing like I think it should be. I just wondered what other people's experiences were using these drops.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried googling Blink Gel Tears? There's plenty of info out there on this product. I see it contains a "gentle preservative which dissipates in 30 minutes after exposure to light". That'll explain the initial stinging.

Personally I don't get on with any of the gels or creams that have been suggested by ophthalmologists, and was told by my latest one that they weren't suitable for me anyway, since the outlets of the oil glands under my eyelids are clogged up by scarring. However, I believe some people get on well with them.

• Posted

Common side effects may include:mild eye burning or irritation;

itching or redness of your eyes;

watery eyes;

blurred vision; or.

unpleasant taste in your mouth.

I copied this from a google search for Blink Gel Tears side effects, as Lily said, there are a lot of answers to the search.

They are available in the UK but I have never used them,  I always use preservative free drops because the preservatives cause a lot of problems 

• Posted

I know you are in the US,
  • Posted

I have never had a problem with the Blink products while having untold issues with other brands so I was surprised to see your post. Did you check to see if you got a defective item? If they are preservative free I can't really see what the issue would be other than you have a defective product. I assume you checked the expiration date though so I really don't know. I have super sensitive eyes have not had an issue with the Blink preservative-free products at all. 

• Posted

According to their own literature, "Blink Gel Tears" (the product amkoffee mentioned) contains a "gentle preservative [which] dissipates when exposed to light and to the tear film composition". I suspect this is what's causing the problem she describes as lasting up to 30 minutes. If the overall effect is good, I'd say that's a worthwhile side-effect.

However, we all react differently. For example, many people swear by Sys tane drops, but I can't tolerate them at all.

• Posted

Thanks, Lily, my mistake, I do not use the Blink "Gel" but rather the regular Blink Tears - Individual Dosing, hence the reason I have no issues. Thank you for pointing that out. I do react that same way to tears with preservatives in them and cannot use them at all. There is a gel I use called GenTeal Tears that are preservative free.

• Posted

I had a similar reaction (feeling of grittiness and irritation) to Systane eye drops so I mentioned it to my GP. He said to stop them immediately. The same has happened to me with any eye drops which contain paraffin.
    • Posted

Totally agree about paraffin Megheart. The second ophtho I saw this year told me to stop using carbomer gel and recommended an overnight cream containing white paraffin and lanolin. (Forget the brand name, it went straight in the bin the day after first use!) It stung like crazy when I put it in and both eyes were bloodshot the next morning. I guess I should have been alerted to Systane when I read that the contents included "mineral oil".

But then we're all different, and a lot of people do well with paraffin-based drops and creams. After the Systane experiment I went back to my pharmacist to put in my usual bulk order for Thea loz Duo drops - a Polish product also available in the UK, containing sodium hyaluronate and trehalose, and no preservatives. Two Belgian ophthos and a UK optician told me this was about the best lubricating product on the market, and I'd been using it for two years with good results. However, the pharmacist told me he'd had loads of complaints about this one irritating people's eyes too. I think we all have to figure out what works - or doesn't - for us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.