Blipping

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, hope you're doing well. Really in need of some cheerleading.

Am on about 8.5 months of citalopram 10mg, have been doing pretty well these last couple of months and now boom, a blip started again this weekend. It's so disheartening. I get myself into such a tizzy when it happens, I know I should just chill, but it's hard when you've been doing well and can't really identify any particular stressors.

Now I have a head full of depressing thoughts again and am super anxious. Just wanna shut myself away.

The weekend before, had a bit of booze, but hardly any, about a glass and a half of prosecco. I have come down with a cold this weekend too, which could also be contributing.

Any wise words greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth, I think we've spoken before. I started back on the citalopram just before you did last year. But yes what you're feeling is completely normal, we all have blips. I can go months without a setback but then these feelings creep in from nowhere. I think there usually is a trigger and for me if I have a glass of wine it does seem to knock me slightly a few days after. Try not to over think what the trigger could be (which I know isn't easy) but try to look at how far you've come and tell yourself its just a blip and it will soon pass. When we don't feel well it can catch us off guard a bit, I know if I am tired then I seem to let it bother me more. You're doing so well and I just keep telling myself that those periods of been anxiety free will get bigger with less blips so it won't affect us anymore, hopefully we'll fully recover but there will be times in our lives when life might knock us a bit, but we're getting stronger as time goes by. Keep in touch.x

• Posted

Hey Gemma, yes we have spoken- and thanks so much for responding. I'm so frustrated today I could cry. It's so odd to feel this way again. Really bad sleep last night, was totally wired with anxiety. I do think the alcohol started something off, and then I got sick, so it was a bit of a double whammy. Just resting at home the next couple of days.

Hopefully will bounce back soon . You're right, have come a long way since this time last year, but it's hard to remember that when blipping. I think that has been playing on my mind a bit too...it was May last year when I became unwell again....feeling a bit guilty bout taking a couple days out of work with this cold, but I seriously need some sleep, or else I just can't function.

Thanks again - hope you're keeping well?

• Posted

I'm doing ok thank you, I can go months feeling better but then I have moments of anxiety, it isn't as strong as it was before though, so I think they're just blips. You're doing the right thing by taking off a few days to get better, the lack of sleep last night won't help with how you're feeling today. I know its so hard to not let a blip get us down and to not fear the worst. It will pass and you'll soon be feeling free from it again though. I find that sometimes having a good cry helps as it releases the emotions that are going around my head, take care of yourself and get some rest. x

• Posted

I forgot to add too that when I reached the date to the year since all of the nightmare began for me I too wobbled a bit. I think that looking back its the negative thoughts and memories that I had of this time last year that were allowing the anxiety to creep back in. As hard as it is try not to look back or mull over it too much as that can leave us open to the negative thoughts stirring up the anxiety. Tell yourself that you're on the path to recovery now and it won't be like it was before.x

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that Gemma- it's hard not to fear slipping back. But I'm in a totally different life situation. Got a stable home and job now.

Being at home ill doesn't help much, don't much feel like doing anything and too much time alone with my own thoughts. Gonna try and get some fresh air soon. Perhaps that will uplift me a bit.

Thanks for your kindness ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Posted

Hi again Ruth

Sounds like you've had a combination of things going on that has caused this blip. Lack of sleep is a big one for me, I always feel like a wet rag the following day if I haven't slept well. Your cold has also made you feel a bit run down probably, that with the change in weather the weekend hasn't helped either. It been quite gloomy early evenings lately, I put on a few lights and that helps lift my mood. I cried last night in bed, just felt miserable wondering why I feel this way. Sometimes I feel a little better after a private cry, don't know why. Don't worry about taking time off from work, we've all been there. Just concentrate on feeling well again because you will, this will pass just like it has done before. Always here to chat Ruth๐Ÿ˜Š

• Posted

Thanks so much Lina. I was in such a state yesterday, got myself really worked up about taking time off work etc. God knows why. That's anxiety for you.....ended up catastrophising.

Then I came on here, read a few posts and posted, received lovely comments and a message from Kate Cogs, admitted I am feeling awful and went back to bed, and called a friend for a chat. Started to relax a bit. By early evening, felt much better. Had about 7 hours sleep. Have woken up feeling calm.

Still have a heavy cold and so am giving myself the rest of the week to recover.

Was reading about acupuncture, and how it can affect serotonin levels. Usually that is beneficial in the long term, but definitely think it can cause wobbles in the immediate aftermath.

Thanks for your kind words, Lina, means a lot. How are you feeling today, after temporarily raising your dose? Hope everything is settling for you. What a great idea about lights, definitely need to cheer up this gloomy looking day outside. Sending you good wishes for the day ahead x

• Posted

Hi Ruth

You sound so much better today, I'm so glad your coming out of your wobble. It's good to be able to share your thoughts with those who understand and chatting with your friend seems to have helped you. I too come on here looking for support, I read over past messages that I have received , some from yourself, and others who have posted more recently and find so many similarities to my own problems, it gives me reassurance. Kate Cogs give such detailed accounts and she really is a gem, she has helped so many people including myself with her wise words. Lois is another who has given me reassurance in the past. A good night's sleep can make a huge difference too. I sometimes find that Rescue pastilles help me relax before I go to sleep, I take them just about every night now. I hope you recover from your cold soon, that can drag you down for sure. It's a good idea to take time off to fully recover from it otherwise you will only prolong it, I would do the same.

I had a good night's sleep although I've got a bit of a headache today but it will pass, otherwise I'm ok thanks.

Take care and chill for the rest of the week๐Ÿ™‹๐ŸŒป

• Posted

Hi

I am having the same problem. I am at 8.5 to 9 months on 20mg and had been a lot better too. I am also seeing a therapist.

suddenly really anxious, at times, over thinking and lack of motivation. it is really strange though, we had a trip to London planned last Friday and I was so anxious before we set off, but then thoroughly enjoyed it. Also managed my dancing Saturday night. Since then very up and down.

had therapy today, cried practically the whole time, but was told it is not going backwards. in fact that it is a step forward as it is something else being released.

dealing with effects if anxiety is like peeling an onion, you peel back a layer and feel a bit better, then something else surfaces , then you peel back another layer until there is nothing left to surface. I do hope that makes sense.

Also that anxiety is like a fog. you will get clear spells and then the fog will close in again. the clear spells get longer, but you break through

Hope this is helpful and that your blip ends soon. x

• Posted

that anology of peeling the onion is on point.best regards

• Posted

Thank you Ann, that is very helpful. The anxiety IS rather like a fog, it's difficult to see through it when going through a tough patch.

I almost get a bit scared of my own thoughts.

So glad you overcame your own blip, your therapist is right. I have been wondering about going back into therapy. I have had lots, also trained as a therapist myself. It's so helpful, I find I can say things in therapy that I just wouldn't say to friends, not even close ones.

Thank you for replying. Wishing you continued recovery x

• Posted

Well, I felt better for about a week, and now am blipping again, out of the blue. It's weird. Wondering why this month has been so difficult, there has been a good chunk of time when I haven't felt too great.

I've had really overwhelming anxiety. I also feel as if some of the start up symptoms are reoccurring. I'm very twitchy, gurgling stomach, and headache. Also a bit of depression. Lack of motivation to do anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.