blips ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After such a positive week last week, this week has been very different. I have been back at work for the week and whilst I've enjoyed being back it has been tough. My anxiety has got worse and the depression seems to have crept in more. Is this what some call a blip or just that the meds aren't working ? I feel I need to change meds as they aren't improving me, I seem to be going backwards...any similar experiences..

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

• Posted

Tim I know what you mean, I have been on citalopram for only 3 weeks and the first two were fine, but then all of the sudden last week I feel like I've spiraled down and feeling worse than ever for the past 6 days.... My doc suggested lowering my dose which I hope helps, day 2 of lower dose and still not feeling right. But hang in there, that's my plan to stick with it and hope it gets better, I can't give in to the negative thoughts, well at least I'm trying to stay positive. We can't feel like this forever

• Posted

We have to remember we can have ups and downs in this condition and just because we are taking Citalopram does not mean we will always be well with no Depression. Our Black Dog will generally come back to bother us now and again and we hav to accept that.

Try and work out why you are feeling low, that will help you control your mood.

Depression can be two steps forward and one step back. I have been bad for a long time now and I still get very low sometimes even when I am still taking my ADs.

The more you worry the more you will have negative feelings

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Thank you Bob, I know I have a lot of things that have happened in my life as of late that are contributing to these feelings that I need to figure out how to deal with. I have my first therapy appt on Wed and am hopeful it will help my overall condition. In the mean time it's a scary feeling. I've also been listening to Eckhart Tolls which gives me, if only brief, moments of clarity, just wish I could hold onto them longer.

• Posted

My last 2 experiences on AD I had a gradual improvement even when I had rough days they weren't as bad as when I first started plus my recovery was a lot quicker. That's what I am measuring against...

• Posted

Hi everyone I'm on the same number of weeks as Tim, and I agree stick at it if you can I started off on all bad days couldn't do it anymore and didn't want to be here!!!

Then I started getting a few manageable hours, then a couple of manageable days, and some bad days, it's just how it seems to go, it's part of recovery I now get some really good days then awful days

And now I have just had 2 really good weeks, went shopping (which haven't done for 2 and a half years) and I went to London with my 4 kids (I'm a single parent) I couldn't have done that a couple of weeks ago,

Today and yesterday have been low, but I wasn't surprised after having so many good times, try not to make much of it, your not getting worse it's all just part of recovery.

Wendy x

• Posted

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.... It gives me hope.
  • Posted

Whilst we're recovering Tim there will be many blips, and many things can cause them.  They are an expected part of recovery.  I suspect that starting back at work has caused this temporary blip - even having a cold can cause them.  Your body is still fragile, still recovering, so any little thing will upset the balance.

You will feel like you're going backwards, many times.  It will pass.  You've come a long way already on your meds - you'll probably still get this same process on different meds if you change.

Just keep going.  Try and let that feeling be there - relax into everything and it will pass.  Its just another blip.

You're doing well.  

K x

• Posted

Morning Tim,

Many things, issues, whether personal or outside around us can cause 'blips'  However, 'blips' are when you are getting near to levelling out on this sticking plaster for the brain, including, as they say time being a healer.  At the moment you are a ways from recovery.

Cita is working, it is not a quick fix and changing meds when you have not given this one time and space to work will compound your problems.

It seems obvious to me, who has already gone through what you are so similarly going through, that one, you have to give it time to work, two work is the problem not the med!  You felt good had a positive week then back to work and your mind say wtf?!  

What were you diagnosed with, how long have you been taking Cita and how long were you signed unfit?

Regards,

David

Regards

David

• Posted

At week 10 I feel I should have stabilised more than I have, especially considering my previous experience on meds. I don't believe work is a problem as it has been more of a coping mechanism, maybe it was the change in routine, I don't really know but I even though I have been rough at work I have enjoyed being there. Or at least felt positive about it. I'm going to see the docs this week and get there opinion on it. It's a very hard decision to make as you don't know which one is the right one but I guess all you can do is seek medical advice and go with that...thanks for all your feedback so far..

• Posted

Help I could do with some reassurance, if anyone is there not doing too good, - and trying to stay calm

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Tell us about the problem, how you feel, what is going on with you, are you taking Citalopram?  Anything you wish (or not) to say is up to you, but we need to know that the reassurance we give is appropriate!

I was about to go out (don't know where you are, but here in UK it is a little after mid-day) however, I shall be back in a few hours and hopefully you will have replied and I will see how I can help.

There are many others here on the forum who will be along to answer your post so don't worry if it takes a while.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Wendy, not sure what ur situation is but I'm on week 10 at 40mg. I went see GP few days ago and we agreed for me to stay on citalopram but be referred onto psychiatrist (so I could get better info on the meds) I have since been feeling bit better but I do continue with ups and downs but I hold onto the ups until I see the psychiatrist. Not sure if that will be of help but sure someone will encourage you on this site..

• Posted

Tim how long have you been on the meds altogether as I was the same time as you

Wendy

• Posted

Hi guys I don't mean to sound so desperate Iv been on citalopram about 12 weeks I think!! (Same time as you Tim) the last 4/5 weeks Iv been on 20 mg, and it's been up and down the ups have been great the last up lasted 2 weeks I even managed to take the kids to London for the weekend on my own, but this week, Iv been so anxious and irritable, it started last Saturday and has built up over the days and yesterday and today are the worst! My symptoms, are feeling anxious, agitated, sick scared worrying! Over silly things that probably won't happen, I know it's a blip, and will pick up again, but when I'm in this state I feel like Iv went right back!!!

On a good day my mind and thoughts are like in one place but when I'm like this it's like my mind has exploded and my thoughts and everything else is everywhere it's the only way I can explain it,

Thanks guys for getting back to me, I'm in the uk too! Scotland 😊

Wendy

• Posted

Okay, copy what you posted and remember mine to look at, when you start to feel a downer coming on, to remember that, is a positive!  What you wrote is another sign that you may be beginning to come through this blip in your life!  Great to read that you are thinking about your symptoms, doing a bit of self diagnosis and able and willing to discuss your feelings with a bunch of strangers (as we all do)!

Better get used to saying I'm from Scotland because it doesn't seem long before they (rightly) break from the union.wink

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David thanks for your reply,

I don't feel like I'm doing great, but I suppose I am doing it,

And a downer is a positive? I'm I maybe reading it the wrong way lol, so all of what I'm saying and feeling is normal 😳😏, I do find it easier talking to strangers, and especially people who have been through it,

Yes that's true bonnie (friggen cold) Scotland 😊

Wendy 😊

• Posted

Morning Wendy,

Believe me you are doing great (okay better) because you are beginning to anylise, think about what is happening and when you know more I found it helps to understand and therefore they become less of a worry causing less angst.

I see what yer mean about the confusion over the downer being a positive thang.  However, it is a positive that you are more aware of them, what happens to you and even you'll be able to spot them a mile off soon!  This 'warning' allows you to prepare to counter it by exercise, diving under the duvet or anyother way you find helps get through and over it quicker.  Meditation and Kate has mentioned in another post, yoga.  These like CBT and other non intusive, non chemical, safe relaxation techniques will help you through and not forgetting this old forum!

It is cold and misty this morn here in Deb'm (zumtimes) zunniest plaz this zide of Heb'n.  Been 'north of the border several times and have fond memories of friendship, hospitality and the scenery, youm blessed me dear!

Regards,

David

• Posted

ANALYSE!  I am sure Cita does affect yer grammar and spelting!

• Posted

Hi Davis hope your well,

I was going through my messages and saw your one I'm sorry I thought I had replied to you, 🤔Honestly sometimes I think my brain just doesn't work !!

Wendy

• Posted

Still very up and down! Blips galore lol!! But mostly manageable I do feel or at least I think I do! Feel they aren't as strong, they start off as an off day then get a bit worse till it peaks then ease off 😏I just hope it continues as every time I have one I think I'm not getting better,!

How are you doing?

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Go see your GP because, going by my own experience and others here it sounds like you do need to increase to get you over that last hurdle.  You appear to be coming up against it and just can't quite get over, an increase would help you over and take you closer, if not drekly, to your level.  Here the side effects will slip away.

Everything you say is consistant with recovery, but not quite.  You are aware of the blips and recognise before they start now, you need to be at a place where when they arrive you can let them pass as a cloud as Debbie said here recently!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me David it's something that will certainly consider, I do see and feel a difference which I am so glad,

Wendy

• Posted

No that's what we call positivity!  Appreciateing that things are getting better, albeit slowly, while not quite outta da woods yet!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Did I forget to mention very slow!!! 🐌😂😂

Today hasn't been great, feel quite flat but it's better than yesterday 😊

Wendy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.