Blips

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had maybe two good days then I go back to feeling low mood and generaly feeling nothing, them perhaps a day and a half, this morning I woke up not feeling to good but by lunch time I could feel the mood had lifted, but a few hours after I felt like I had low mood again, is this what they call a blip?, has anyone else had this and how long does it go on before the fluoxetine kicks in properly.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shadow, I find that I am just a bit numbed or detached from my depression/anxiety on 20 mg fluoxetine a day which I have been taking for a year. The depression/anxiety still there but I cope with it better most of the time. I already sleep pretty well on it (unfortunately with vivid slightly unpleasant dreams) so I shall keep taking it. I will not increase the dose because I would probably sleep all day. I don't think there's a magic bullet you just have to make the best of the good days and put up with the not so good days. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello Shadow. I TOTALLY agree with Linda.I'm on 20 mgs also & have been since about a year ago.I had been on Fluoxetine for about 13 years until one (stupid) day I thought I did not need them anymore.BIG mistake. Getting back on it was a bit rough. I had side effects like no appetite & shaky feelings, along with anxiety to the moon & back. My psychiatrist prescribed Xanax & that helped a TON just getting me thru the side effects. To me-the heightened anxiety & no appetite was the worst part. Mornings were AWFUL. Evenings were the best but I was afraid to go to sleep because I didn't like how the mornings treated me. It was a vicious cycle. Now, about 8-12 months later, I am doing much, much better. I still use the xanax when I feel my anxiety coming on.I will be on 20 mgs Fluoxetine the rest of my life & I don't care! And if I need the Xanax??? so what! I'm 61 years old & want to enjoy life. If I'm on meds forever--so be it! The vivid, weird dreams are a nightly thing......I hate them but what can I do?

i do still have depression & anxiety but as Linda said, I'm also a bit numbed or detached from it....and I do try to make the best of the good days & put up with the bad ones the best I can.

We will ALL be better in time. It takes time with these meds.I don't know where you live but my psychiatrist (in the U.S.) knows that I need the Xanax daily, so I am allowed that.

Best of Luck to you!You are NOT alone at all.Keep in touch with us.

• Posted

Hi Linda

Thank you for your reply.

I am on 40mg 21 days ago it was increased, I have been on it just over six weeks.

when its not a good day I get the low mood and dont feel like doing anything, I have anxiety but I am more depressed .

Today has been strange I got up this morning ok ish and then I could feel the low mood, by lunchtime I felt ok and have been pretty good since, its a very unsettling, and I dont know where I am, I have taken fluoxetine before and got better, I was on it for years but the Doctor wanted me to ween off, it was the worst thing I have ever done, within about 2.5 years I am struggling with depression again, I have had to go through the side effects twice, its no nice.

I have been told that these are blips and they will go.

• Posted

I am 77 and want to enjoy my life again, no one wants to feel like this, how long have you been on the tablets.?

• Posted

Hello Barbara

I am not certain who I have replied to but anyhow I am on 40mg 21 days, but a total of six weeks.

Yes I would like to make the most of good days but then the not so good days I get the low mood and the black cloud feeling, its not a nice feeling, I cant understand how it changes from one day to the next, I have been on this drug before and got better.

Sadly the side effects are awful, I have lost 3 stone in 6 weeks unable to eat, couldnt sleep fast pulse, and sweats throughout my body, and very shaky, but I have got over the worst.

I am sleeping better, and eating small portions, still a bit shaky some days when I get the low mood.

I have been told these are blips and they will go, but it needs time, and because I have been on fluoxetine before it takes longer the second time around, so I have to keep fighting and hope I come out the other side, thank you for talking to me.

• Posted

Yes, Shadow! I had the EXACT same feelings that you had. Everything the same as you!It WILL go away!I promise you.Keep the faith, it does get better especially the mornings. Now I am gaining weight again. Too much, actually because I love pasta, breads & sweets.

I have days where I start out sluggish & low mood BUT it goes away.Like I said before-I do have Xanax (alprazolam) to take when I feel "crappy".Then within an hour, my mood has lifted because mine is mostly anxiety.Even after almost a year on Fluoxetine, I still have blips but just power thru them knowing that they are just temporary. Go easy on yourself & know that this drug takes time. We want something to "fix" us right away & that's not the case with antidepressants. Just keep powering thru & know that you will be better in time! You have gotten past the worst of it so please know that there is a bright light coming!

• Posted

Oh thats so kind of you, I felt like it was coming and going and would I ever feel ok,, so its lovely to have some reassurance , thank you so much.

I am in the uk, and just under my Doctor, he prescribed the medication but didnt want to see me again, unless I needed anything if so contact the surgery, I have had no follow up to ask how I am doing nothing, so in six weeks I have just had to get on with it, if it wasnt for my Husband I dont know how I would manage, he is my rock, he has been doing everything, and looking after me, its been a tough journey.

I have relatives in the USA one in Las Vegas and one in California.

Just on a bad day I get this negative feeling and dont enjoy looking at anything or doing anything, its horrible, today its been a bit hit and miss, felt ok just before lunch felt strange after for a short while , but the afternoon and evening I have felt ok.

I had a lot of illness in June July and August and it tipped me over the edge.

Last time I had depression it must be at least 15+ years ago so I know I got better but cant remember what it was like, just I had depression and low mood.

I am grateful for your help thank you .X

• Posted

Stick it out.... it will get better..... and instead of benzos like Xanax, try beta blockers... much less addictive and IMO they work better. Propranalol is a really good one. every time you up the dosage you will go through this, which is why you need to give the initial dose about 4 months or so before going higher. Eat healthier, get exercise, meditate, read, do puzzles..... I did all this in the beginning, but do remember, your going to have blips from time to time, its just life and the way it is. Prozac is a hard one on the system in the beginning, but it will calm down, you just need to be patient.

• Posted

Thank you for helping me, my Doctor just put the dose up, he wanted me to do it after two weeks, but I waited longer, you are right when the dose was increased I had all the bad side effects again, I think the info on these capsules are very misleading, when it tells you that you should feel the full effects after 4-6 weeks.

I have been on them before but a long time a go and I took them until about 2.5 years ago, the Doctor wanted me to ween off them, it was the worst thing I have ever done, I cant remember before what happened I do know they worked and I got better.

The problem is I am on blood pressure tablets so I may not be able to take beta blockers, but thank you for the advise.

I did have a very high pulse rate but the Doctor wasnt to bothered about it, said it was due to fluoxetine .

Thank you for reassuring me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.