Blisters after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am recovering from a TKR on my right knee. All going well except blisters keep appearing on the skin. Originally thought it was an allergic reaction to the plastic on the dressing. But the operation was over two weeks ago and I haven,t had anything covering it since. Any advice as to how to treat or avoid getting anymore.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had one on side of knee which does dispersed on its own.   Physio suggested speaking to surgeon about it, which I did, he said it was nothing.   However if you have a few,  I would speak to gp about it.
  • Posted

Hi! I had one large blister on the side of my leg after my TKR operation, but it was covered in a dressing and healed up nicely and I thought no more of it until I met a friend who had also had a TKR. She told me that following her operation her leg became covered in large blisters and she was told that blisters can appear after trauma, such as breakages or operations on the bones, sort of a reaction by the body! Anyway, the good news is that her blisters healed quickly and as long as you prevent infection all should be fine.

Glenda 3months 2 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi Mandy

I also had TKR on right knee and I developed a rash around the surgical area. The itching drove me crazy! My surgeon could not explain it & sent me to a Dermatologist. I don't think he knew either what caused it, but prescribed some cream & after applying the cream a few times, the rash went away and never came back.

I know yours are blisters, but maybe your blisters & my rash were caused by the same reason?

Good luck - Betty

• Posted

As with any strange situation, call the doc. You might have unknowingly been allergic to one of the disenfects. Right before surgery they wipe your leg down with a couple of different solutions to kill bacteria and prevent staph. Even though they wipe it off afterwards the residue is still in the pores. I wouldn't use anything on it till I got medical advice.

• Posted

Before my TKR I had to wipe down at home with some kind of chemical wipes. I had no problem from them but when my husband had hiatal hernia surgery last week his surgeon said he didn't have his patients use them because they caused problems for some people. I guess there's a whole lot of chemicals and drugs that get used during and after surgery. It's a wonder we survive it!
  • Posted

I think if I was you I'd go and see your GP ... 

have you been rubbing anything on your scar? 

I was told just to use E45 to beak up the scar tissue 

Jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.