Bloated Abdomen again

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been very lucky and have not has any bloated abdomen problems as part of my IBS for years and, all of a sudden, my abdomen has grown to enormous proportions and I am thinking here we go again. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I get very bloated,especially when under stress,in no time at all,I blow up like a balloon.

• Posted

Ever since I got my gallbladder out my IBS bloats continuously. It makes me severely ill.

• Posted

same here, whats your symptoms u get? i get very ill when my ibs flare up and even after drs ran blood test they cant find anything, the bloat is the worst to the point i cant burp or pass gas

• Posted

That's how I get sometimes,I can't get rid of the gas,what seems to help me is if I lay down on my left side, this usually greatly helps to expel the gas and release the very uncomfortable pressure

• Posted

bloating causes many symptoms for me. Sometimes nausea, pain, pressure on bladder, chest, heart, intestines. loss of appetite to starving.

I find Ginger tea, tums help somewhat if only for a while.

I have severe food intolerances from my ibs and especially since my gallbladder removal. I also have severe medication intolerances.

I find eating smaller meals more often helps. If my stomach is empty I bloat more so eating more often sometimes helps. It can also have the opposite effect where the food itself causes the trapped gas and resulting bloating.

I feel fine when I lay down but upon standing the gurgling and gas bubbles start to fill my intestines. Bending and stooping sometimes moves the gas.

• Posted

everything your describing sounds like me, if i lay down as well it helps, but i have been hungry more but after eating i feel sick and the food would come back up, i too had my gallbladder removed, even since my gallbladder started to give trouble thats when all of this started, i thought removing it would help but it didnt help a ton

• Posted

Hi, do you follow the fodmap diet?, it is very helpful, things like avoiding lactose in milk, instead getting lactose free milk, lactose can cause major symptoms. Things like onions, sorbitol which is in many fruits should all be avoided.

• Posted

Thanks for replies. I had to have most of my Pancreas removed a few years ago and following a long recovery my IBS improved. It is interesting to hear about anxiety or stress as most people class it as now. I have been feeling anxious about things lately and this may have resulted in the IBS bout. I take Linaclotide which has helped a great deal which is why I was surprised when IBS decided to return. Doesn't it make you feel lousy?

• Posted

i feel depessed and my anxiety kicks in full effects when i have a ibs flare and its irritate me because sometimes i cant control it

• Posted

I didn't understand there was a difference between bloating and distention for a long time. I don't have much bloating, but I experienced sudden distention when I started 2 things: HRT and calcium citrate. The distention has lasted long, long after I discontinued those two things. For a long time (about a year), nothing would help. Then the distention started to decrease. Only a few things changed at that time. (1) I increased my Linaclotide to 290 mcg. That dose is supposed to help with bloating and distention, while lower doses have not been shown to help. (2) I got shingles and took Valciclovir to recover. (3) I had been on peppermint oil for a while.

Neither of my gastros can explain why my distention is decreasing. I'm just trying to keep everything exactly the same so I can keep this decrease going until the distention is all gone.

If you feel significant stress from IBS, meditation and visualization can help. I go to the Benson-Henry Mind Body Institute in Boston. They have a program for people with IBS that involves teaching how to use those two tools. A book called THE RELAXATION REVOLUTION by Dr. Henry explains their techniques, though it's a little old. Headspace is a great website/app for meditating. I don't think this has made a significant difference for my IBS yet, but it is improving my attitude/feelings about dealing with all my health problems.

• Posted

Do you have much fibre in your diet?, if so fibre maybe the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.