Bloated feeling even after reduction

Posted , 18 users are following.

Good afternoon.

Please can anyone help me?

I have been on preds for about 5 years after getting Polymyalgia at the age of 47.

I have had several relapses where I have had to increase my preds and in doing so increased my waistline (I'm normally slim) however upon reducing preds my waistline reduces too.

This time around things have been different as I'm on the lowest amount of preds ever, 5mg daily but by waistline is still very large and hasn't reduced at all this time and feel a very uncomfortable almost constant bloating.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this at all?

Thank you so much in advance...Jules

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes I am feeling the bloat. I started going down to 5mg. THE major bloat hit me suddenly with a vengeance 3 weeks ago. Did yours only come on when you got down to 5mgs ?

I have totally avoided all gluten products since then. I had cut them drastically for a long time before, except for the occasional special event (like hot cross buns). (I treated myself to a crayfish tail in lieu of a bun this easter). I cut carbs drastically a couple of years ago, but unlike you Eileen, not an ounce of weight disappeared. I have been fairly dairy free for 50 odd years.

Three weeks down the track I am over this bloat. There have been two occasions when I thought I would need to be tied down in case I floated away. No tests have been done to find the cause. I will have to be assertive this week, and find out what the problem is

• Posted

Flutterbie, do you credit the reduction in bloat to cutting out all gluten? I also have very bad bloating (for about 8 months now), but I also have IBS (although the doctor is diagnosing that because of the bloating), so I'm wondering if my bloating is due to prednisone or IBS, and wondering if cutting out gluten would help. I'm currently on 6.5 mg pred.

I'm also wondering if any of the people who don't like prednisone on this thread are on methotrexate, which is supposed to help you reduce/eliminate pred, and if not, why not? My rheumatologist has been trying to get me onto methotrexate, but I've been resisting, worried about a new set of side effects. But I'd love to hear from others who are on or have tried it.

• Posted

I think I have been lucky and never had bloating. I have never had indigestion in my life either. I did cut out gluten initially as I had heard it stopped the moon face. It did actually work but it might have been just luck. I have not tried methotrexate, it does seem to work for some particularly if they start early, it also does not work at all for others and also has nasty side effects for some. My doctor is always trying to get me to take Alendronic Acid even though my Dexascan has a good positive reading.

• Posted

I have tried methotrexate - I lasted a month before saying no more. It caused effects that are usually attributed to pred, hunger, weight gain, bruising etc but which I have never been bothered with on pred, even at 15mg. The hair loss and fatigue just steadily got worse despite upping the dose of folic acid ,until I could barely lift my feet while walking down the road. I gained a kg in that month - and can't get it off again. Never again - I didn;t have the usual mtx side effect of nausea nor the 1-day flu so many people say they have. The fatigue was 24/7, never had anyhting like it, I felt worse than with untreated PMR and I had that for 5 years.

For some people it may lower the dose of pred they need - but it is very unusual for people to get off pred altogether and not all get to a lower dose. There is no reliable trial evidence yet to show it does work - the best study showed it did allow patients to get to a lower total dose over a period of a year at least but at follow up 5 years later they found there was no difference in the incidence of any steroid-associated side effects. Which begs the question: why expose patients to the not inconsiderable range of mtx side effects if it doesn't make a difference to the pred ones?

I develop bloating when I eat more carbs - but more especially anything with wheat in. It isn't gluten, I can eat other gluten-containing grains, and gluten-free wheat starch caused the reaction for me too.

• Posted

My rheumatologist offered me methotrexate because she wants me off the steroids as soon as possible because of my adverse reaction to them. I refused because two people I know told me they gpt really ill on it and warned me to not take before my doctor offered it to me. It is a chemotherapy drug, although used in lower doses for PMR than for cancer. All of these drugs are so unhealthy, but I think methotrexate is worse than prednisone. If you can taper without it, it's best to avoid taking the methotrexate.

• Posted

In the past, I could definitely control bloat , by cutting out all wheaten/gluten products. I never gave it up completely (Dr's opinion that I would become even more reactive to it ) . If I had a little, and not often, the problem it caused, was liveable with. However, 3 weeks ago, all that changed and I now have a major problem. The first thing I thought of was wheat/gluten. I have seriously stopped taking it, but my problems have not gone away as yet.

I did have bloat problems in the beginning when I started on pred, but that magically went away.

The problems I am suffering now are much more severe.

I have suspected for many years now that it may not actually be the gluten that gives me problems, but it is the chemical concoction , that we now call wheat. It is packed full of chemicals from the time the seed is first planted. My reason for thinking this way, is that when I travel overseas I do not get the same reaction. A friend and I travelled through India with no health problems, but we both returned to our same old gut problems 2 weeks after returning home. We were there for 4 weeks. If I had the time and energy I would research it, but I do wish someone else would do it.

• Posted

I can't eat the usual commercial wheat products in the UK, predominantly made with one type of wheat. I can, however, eat baked goods in France without developing the rash - they tend to use a different variety of wheat and also a slower method of production of the doughs for breads. Apparently this is not uncommon - and I can eat spelt and kamut which are also forms of wheat but totally different structures. I know it is the wheat starch I have a problem with - and it is broken down when making sourdough products. Even the NHS info page says the same.

But if the problem has recently got worse without any particular change otherwise it does need to be investigated to be sure there is nothing else going on. I have a friend who was diagnosed as coeliac in his late 50s/early 60s. Suspicion was raised because that summer he'd had repeated episodes of g/i distress - which all coincided with having been at grill parties where he was eating more bread than usual and drinking beer! Simple case of too much of a good thing triggering the symptoms. But there is some evidence that coeliac disease, an autoimmune condition, can develop in later life, not just in childhood.

• Posted

Eileenh, our immune systems are strange. As a child my favorite ice cream was maple walnut, ate it quite often, plus at the holidays we always had a bowl of nuts about. So I ate walnuts. In my 30s I became deathly allergic to walnuts, even a few in a brownie. I think some of us just have compromised immune systems. Some day the medical community may find out why. 🙂

• Posted

A friend told me about a young person of her acquaintance who was unable to eat corn (maize). She lives in Canada. She had to spend a few months in a South American country. I can't now remember which, but where maize was the main food. She and her family wondered how she would manage. When she got home she declared herself free of her maize sensitivity, having eaten it daily while away with no problems whatsoever - only to discover that when she ate North American corn again she had exactly the same symptoms as before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.