Bloated food stuck in chest and throat

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi ladies have any of you had problems with swallowing and when you do you feel that your food is stuck in your chest and it takes forever to go down sometimes it feels like it's going to just come up again and also bloated and lots of gas I've been having this for a few days now I'm like two days away from my period is this another horrible symptom of perimenopause it's like a never-ending roller coaster can any of you lovely ladies relate any reply would be much appreciated blessings!!

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

yes! my husband has to hit my back. its the worst feeling. but i stop eating so i dont mind . lol

• Posted

yes this has happend to me. I even forget how to swallow at times. A very disturbing feeling. As a matter of fact I had the bloat feeling going on tonight, hard to even get water down. Im telling ya this Menopause or perimenopause is going to be the death of me. I hope you get through this soon

• Posted

Does anyone still have food sticking back of throat, chest bone area with menopause? I am 51 and just entering actual menopause. Had all the checks got a sliding hiatus hernia but no blockages, wondering if menopause related

• Posted

Hi same is happening to me. Had an endoscopy and they found a hiatus hernia but for right now noting to worry, but still worries me the doctor gave me medication are you taking something for that ? . I also feel like food gets stuck. Do you think it is related to peri or menopause?

• Posted

yes I also have experienced throat tightness, difficulty swallowing, and pain in chest when food is swallowed. thank goodness I found this forum. definately a peri symptom. hang in there mine has gotten better. but it lasted 4 months. I'm 51

• Posted

thats exactly how I feel...Glad I found this forum. It helps me get through the symptoms and keeps me grounded by reading everyones symptoms(sadly) but knowing that I'm not alone reassures me that Im not dying : ) Just starting all of this crap at 54 Ugh

• Edited

I know the feeling and I have had it for years. Food feels stuck, trouble swallowing and a feeling like there is a lump in my throat. I stay away from any type of rice because it gets stuck and I have to wait for it to go down. I find these feelings come and go but get stressed when they appear....thanks google! I have acid reflux too that seems to come and go.

I came on these boards today because over the last two days, I have developed dry mouth and now it is difficult to swallow and my throat hurts. Feels like my throat is going to close in. I have little saliva. My eyes are dry too! This is along with constant ear pain. Was considering going over to my doctor's office this afternoon but feel like I am crazy. I was just there about ear pain, vertigo and post nasal drip.

My symptoms never seem to end!

• Posted

thank you all you wonderful ladies for your replies sorry to hear that you two are going through this but I'm happy to know I'm not alone it's so scary it's something different every day you get better from one thing and there comes the next hope we get through this soon praying for us all!!

• Edited

Hello Marisol..

Currently, I am postmenopausal. That said, I remember when I was DEEP in the throes of perimenopause, I had acid reflux for roughly two consecutive weeks. It was horrible! Every time I ate food, it felt like it was stuck in my throat and I was scared it was going to come up, as you stated earlier. Suffice it to say, out of nowhere it disappeared, and I was soooo.. much better. Thank God, it didn't come back, knock on wood. Which brings me to this: I attributed it to perimenopause. There are soooo... MANY undocumented menopausal symptoms, it will make our heads spin incessantly! The best advice I can offer you is this: Make sure you drink hot liquids after eating to push the food down, way down. I literally learned that tidbit from the Asian culture. I noticed, whenever many of them eat, they drink hot tea after dining. It makes perfect since; this will aide in better digestion; unlike some cultures, where many people gulp down an ice cold beer, soda, or something cold. It is only a matter of time, before it subsides, and you will feel better. It is very interesting when we ladies go through any of the three menos, many symptoms come and go, then there are those that will return with a VENGEANCE. Take GREAT care of yourself! Grab your lunch tray and be the first person in line; everyone else has to stand behind you ; you matter, and your goal is to get through this tsunami in one piece, and come out smiling. Be well my menopausal sister.

• Edited

I am 51 and just entering menopause, with a year not having a period. I also have AF. my symptoms last 3 months got much worse with food sticking in back of throat and chest area. i have a sliding hiatus hernia . I had an endoscopy and all looked normal apart from HH. i continue to have this problem , sometimes gets better for a few days, wondering could it be low estrogen?

• Posted

Hi Marisol

I'm going through the same symptoms. i had an endoscopy and doctor told me everything came out good but had a small hiatal hernia but nothing to worry but still it worries me. I'm so scare on feeling all the symptoms that you have. do you take medicine for this ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.