Bloated stomach and palpitations?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I know this isn't about SVT, but do you have bad palpitations when you are bloated? I'm having some stomach problems for a few days now and when I can't pass gas or can't burp I'm having palps. I'm scared that it will go into an episode of SVT. 😟

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been diagnosed with SVT over 6 years ago, but just this past week, I've also had some stomach problems. I noticed I've been getting palpitations around my upper abdomen area. I'm taking meds for my SVT, so I haven't had an SVT attack since I've been taking the meds.

• Posted

My stomach has been bloated, too!

• Posted

It can feel like its going to but I think your just feeling alot of gas paint in the upper left part of your intestines. take maximum strengh phazyme you can get it at the pharmacy. If you smoke, drink cokes any thing fizzy, and eat gas building foods its going to give you these problems oh and stop drinking from straws it causes air in intestines.

• Posted

I have had ectopic heartbeats for 30 odd years and svt for 10 years ( ablation 7 wks ago) but i remember years ago a cardio saying in relation to ectopics and palps that your vagus nerve runs across top of stomach and having full or bloated stomach can trigger both palps and ectopics and this was def a cause for me. He said, years ago they called it having a windy heart as bloat and palps went tog but back then they didnt know reason so windy heart was good description!

• Posted

Windy heart - never heard of this phrase so far! Maybe that's the case for me. How was your ablation, if I may ask? How are you feeling after it?

• Posted

I have had alot of ectopic beats daily since ablation with runs of them and sometimes tachycardia attacks. I was warned it takes months for heart to calm down after ablation. Cardio was sure ablation was a success but only time will tell!

• Posted

I have read good and bad results from cardiac ablation. It depends on the doctor performing this procedure. I have been in the medical field taking care of all kinds of patience. I would highly recommend you visit the cardiac floor of your hospital. Size up the nurses to make sure you get a new nurse, maybe a recent grad and ask who they would recommend for cardiac ablation. If you don't get a response, go to another nurse at a different nurse's station. Good luck.

• Posted

Yes it's called gastrocardiac syndrome. If you go have a look on youtube at Dr Sanjay Gupta's videos from York Cardiology he explains all about it.

• Posted

I have a lot of problems with heart flutters when |I am bloated. I try really hard to burp it up, but until you get that good one up it continues to go on. |Once that good one comes, the flutters stop. Most doctors do not connect the stomach/heart connection.

As someone mentioned, has wonderful videos on youtube. He explains everything, and makes you feel so much better. I am fortunate to have him as a facebook friend, and am now receiving messages on whatsap from him

• Posted

Absolutely!!! Being bloated puts pressure on your AV node, heart and cardiac sack. I have noticed that the less I eat at one meal, the less chance I have of an SVT incident. Being bloated prevents using the val salvia maneuver (sticking a toothbrush down your throat to stimulate your gag reflect). I would recommend eating slowly. Try counting to 50 with each bite as you chew. You will feel full much faster and it will help digest your food. My last two SVTs was waking up at night and waking in the morning that resulted in visits to the local hospital. The gag reflect would not work. Also avoid Advil, ibuprofen. I know this is what damaged my av node. Please feel free to contact me any time.

• Posted

Just so you know... the valsalva does not involved putting anything down your throat!!

• Posted

Yes it did. I taught Cardiopulmonary resuscitation to nurses and other medical personnel in the seventies and early eighties. Things do change year after year. I always had to contact our cardiac docs for changes in terminology and techniques. Some docs still advise sticking something down your throat to initiate the gag reflex. Even the last ER doc I had 2 weeks ago.

• Posted

I am a Nurse and this is the description of the Valsalva manouvre. What you're describing may convert an SVT but is not the way the valsalva is recommended to patients.

"The Valsalva maneuver or Valsalva manoeuvre is performed by moderately forceful attempted exhalation against a closed airway, usually done by closing one's mouth, pinching one's nose shut while pressing out as if blowing up a balloon."

The recommended Valsalva for SVT patients is the Modified Valsalva which has a high conversion rate and doesn't involved sticking anything down the throat either. You can find videos of it online.

• Posted

I am a Nurse and this is the description of the Valsalva manouvre. What you're describing may convert an SVT but is not the way the valsalva is recommended to patients.

"The Valsalva maneuver or Valsalva manoeuvre is performed by moderately forceful attempted exhalation against a closed airway, usually done by closing one's mouth, pinching one's nose shut while pressing out as if blowing up a balloon."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.