Bloating affect breathing

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone experienced bloating and noticed that it affects your breathing. Ive dealt with this before on and off ( shortness of breath) and ive been dealing with stomach issues lately, but im wondering if the air hunger is actually coming from being bloated. Then the feel of something on my chest. This peri is driving me up the walls! When i get over one thing than something else pops up or what i thought i was done with returns. Is there a day when i can have no symptom??

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Mary, seems to me that you might have a hiatal hernia.  Hiatal hernias can make you feel bloated, as well as short of breath with significant pressure on your chest.  This is not a symptom of peri.  You'd need an endoscopy to confirm.  Unfortunately, some problems attributed to peri and menopause have nothing to do with those conditions.  xx

• Posted

Lynda20916 yes i do have a hiatal hernia, ive had scope done last year. So that is where my issue could be coming from..the thing about it i had no idea i had it because i had no problems until perimenopause hit. So i guess it may have aggravated it?
    • Posted

My doctor told me to take all my meals sitting up.  And, small frequent meals.  When I have problems with it, I have to remind myself that it's not a heart attack!  The pressure can be terribly hard to bear.  Best of luck to you! xx

• Posted

Dear Mary

I have a hiatas hernia and if I fill up too much it feels as if you struggle for breath and feel full in abdominal area. Like the other lady said, an endoscopy is a good idea to confirm this. Try to avoid eating too late at night and raise your bed at the top slightly by putting some wooden blocks under the top legs if hernia is diagnosed x

• Posted

Pinkcatfairy a small sliding hiatal hernia was confirmed last year by scope. The thing is before peri i had no idea i had it because never had problems until peri hit. I already seem to be doing all the above that you mentioned in addition to eating healthy. I noticed the issue comes and goes especially around ovulation or close to period time. Once period arrives, its better. I had no issues the month of dec, and jan, and only latter part of feb until now. Tracking my journal my dr. is trying to lower my estrogen , it was high in feb and mar. In dec. and Jan it was low, which is when i had no issues. Somehow i still think the flucuating of hormones stirs it up because as i mentioned i was not aware of having it before peri. My dr. said the kind that i have is very common and soometimes causes no problem is why some people are not ware of it .

Oh, another thing seem to aggravate it is progesterone cream. If i use any type of progesterone oral or cream(bhrt) it seems to trigger it also.

• Posted

Dear Mary

Yes hormones no doubt stir it up. I went through a long period of discomfort with the gastitis but thankfully things settled, I would recommend drinking one of those yoghurt drinks daily with the bacteria In (cant spell what it is lol) I take one daily and sometimes when I dont I feel abit acidy in tummy, so im sure they help x

• Posted

Hi Mary

Had both of these on Ellstte duo HRT am now coming off as swell up like a blow fish and have shortness of breathe . Thinkwill just avoid any interaction and just put up with hot flushes 

Lorraine 

• Posted

Hi Mary 

Swelling in general  arms legs stomach x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine first of all I ? your name. That is my mother's name.? As i mentioned to the other above i have a hiatal hernia but did not know it even exist until perimenopause. So yes i think the hormones could be what aggravates it. Ive been noticing everytime i use any type of progesterone cream i get really nad bloating , acid reflux and shortness of breath. Ive tried many , many times taking it and it happens each time.

I brought it my dr. attention and he told me to stop the oral and get back on cream but its the same thing. So i stopped the cream too just to see if symptoms decrease. I know something that may stop your hot flashes. I have no hot flashes at all. If interested i can pm you. ?

• Posted

Yes I hyperventilate because of bloating and my only remedy is to lay on a hard book on my belly, or wearing a tight belt. I have to manually move the gas masses down my intestines and stomach. 
  • Edited

Also , bloating increases with allergens in the air so it starts bad in late March and continues tiill November.
  • Posted

Hi Mary it's a yes from me I have the bloating and shortness of breath as soon as my tummy goes down I'm fine it's all very strange

• Posted

Hello. I have GERD and it can cause both bloating and shortness of breath. It started when I hit perimenopause. I would so to see a gastroenterologist and keep track of your symptoms. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Adbraley..ive already seen a GI dr. and had the scope done and yes she said its GERD..it was done last year. I was last seen bynmy GI dr. in dec. This is when mine started aldo during perimenopause also. Are you on meds for it? I just didnt think that it could cause the bloating and shortness of breath.🤔Mine doesnt seem to bother me all the times, it comes and goes but always centered around ovulation or period time. So far , its been bothering me for weeks now. Do you have chest discomfort with it? I have a prescription for PPi ( omeprazole,sp?) I try not to take it, only when needed.

• Posted

You are so right Mary, it never stops!

I have the same thing on and off for 3 years!! As soon as I will say i have a good day by the end of it, something will pop up!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.