Bloating after every single meal.

Posted , 24 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with IBS for some time now. My bloating is the worst I have ever seen on anyone, at first it was my lower bowl that was bloated but recently it's moved up to my stomach and has become 10x worse. I've also put two stone on in the past year (don't know if these are related?) and i'm burping a lot more.

I have a very active lifestyle, I cycle 8 miles a day during the week, go to the gym 3-4 times a week and eat a very healthy balanced diet (over the summer 2014 was more unhealthy so made a big change). I have museli or porridge with a banana for breakfast, an apple at around 11, salad with bulgur wheat, brown rice or lentils for lunch and then usually a stir fry or wholeweat pasta for dinner (bulghur wheat, lentils and pasta, and bread have all been cut out now). I also avoid diary as much as possible (recently cut it out completely in exhange for almond milk).

This morning I had porridge made with almond milk and banana with chia, flax and golden linseeds AND I'M BLOATED !!!

The doctor has tested my blood and stools for coelic and infections but all came back negative. I've been sent to the nutritionist who is referring me to go on FODMAP, but I have been trying to follow that until the appointment and still no help there. I've been drinking lots of water, taking peppermint capsules and warm lemon water and I'm still bloated.

I have an IUD coil fitted and asked the nurse practioner if it could be that, which she said no. Thing that worries me is we have both breast and ovarian cancer in my family, my mother died of ovarian cancer 10 years ago, but the doctors don't seem to think that's particularly important. Mind you he hasn't even looked/felt my stomach, but referred me to gastro so I guess they'll do that.

I'm so down and depressed with these symptoms, I'm literally doing everything to try and stop the bloating but nothing is working.

I went gluten free for over a year which helped, but I still got bloated. The doctor said that it was probably reducing the amount of fibre I was getting so I introduced it back into my diet (big mistake) 

The only time I don't get bloated is when I don't eat anything at all. My grandmother suggested I try the 5:2 diet to give my bowl a rest but I don't think it's a particularly healthy diet to be on, I tried it and my stomach was flat until I ate the next day.

Anyone got any solutions? I literally cry every day about this at the moment! I can't cope anymore!

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi just checked out the fodmat diet, interesting, good link for foods they reccomend

Menu guide for a low FODMAP diet (avoid using ingredients listed in the high-FODMAP food list)

Breakfast

Gluten-free or spelt toast with spread (sucrose sweetened, not with fructose)

Cereal (e.g. oats, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies)

Tea or coffee (if you have lactose malabsorption, use lactose-free milk)

Serving of suitable fruit

Poached eggs and spinach

Lunch

Gluten-free or spelt sandwich with fillings (e.g meat, salad, cheese)

Frittata

Homemade soup with low FODMAP vegetables

Green salad with dressing (olive oil, lemon juice) with tuna

Roast pumpkin, goats cheese & quinoa salad

Dinner

Meat or fish with low FODMAP vegetables or salad

Baked fish with middle eastern vegetable quinoa

Roast chicken with rosemary infused vegetables and brown rice

Gluten free pizza base topped with cherry tomatoes, basil, goats cheese, ham and pineapple

Snacks & sweets

Serving of suitable fruit

Yogurt (if you have lactose malabsorption, use lactose-free yogurt)

Rice cakes with feta

Gluten-free biscuits

Berry crumble

• Posted

Yes its a guide, then you have to make it your own...
  • Posted

Probiotics the best you can find, are a must and I have been in Nexium for over 2 years now.

Food is still a mistery... but it does play a roll! Same food somethimes can be tolerated sometimes cannot!...Also depends on the amount and the time of the day....(empty stomach)...but definitely the food well chopped and well cooked its easier digested!

Good luck! but start easy with proven confort food like white rice, chicken broth and then after a couple of days when you get better start introducing and trying new items...

• Posted

iv tried these in many differant forms and all give me diroerh people difffer may have the same symptoms but the cure is differant worth a try though

just a warning not be surprized if this happens eek

• Posted

Oh, my - I didn't know that was even possible! sad I suggested probiotics. I don't even mean like a yogurt, because what if diary is to blame?  But, really a pill that contains living organisms that will keep the bad gut organisms in check - that shouldn't have a negative effect. If it does, it should quickly balance out and if it doesn't, then a doctor should be told...that's a problem in itself, I should think. 
    • Posted

it depends if the gut isent healthy putting large amount of anything in it wont help . i wanted to get on to takeing bone broth daily because it is so healing but i would only make it with organic chicken and its pricey

in the USA they sell it in cartons already made from organic meat  chicken bones so its just heat  and eat , by pacific foods but cant find any thing like that in the uk  .and it works a treat 

• Posted

Yeah I would avoid anything in a tin or a can to be honest, sorry but I just don't think processed foods are very good for you. Chicken broth isn't hard to make but it does include onions generally which is something I have been told to avoid. It's all very fustrating.
    • Posted

Hi there. Just to let you know if you are in the uk, that Waitrose sell cartons of beef and chicken stock which has been made with boiled beef/chicken bones. 
    • Posted

thanks for the info not sure we have a waitrose nearby we did have then it turned into sainsbury.mini market .  but hopeful .
    • Posted

the one i am talking about is from a company called pacific foods in the USA and is organic and in a carton .its not available here ,

you can put anything in a broth dosent have to be onions .

i have made it before shall have another go this week and freeze a few portions i always worry about how long to keep it in the fridge ,

i think i will use root veg in mine .

if i keep 2 portions in the fridge and then freeze the rest and take out at night for next day should be ok .

• Posted

You can even freeze broth in smaller portions, such as an ice cube tray, and defrost as needed.

I know exactly what you mean and they do sell this near me. But, I think it's also a company with Asian presence? So you may find something like it in Asian markets or under another name in a natural foods store around you.  In the U.S., cartons and cans are also lined with BPA, which you won't be using at home. smile

• Posted

its a bloody nightmare hun isent it you think your doing good and then you find its not as good as you first thought 
  • Posted

This sounds horrible, and you've tried so much over time to no avail.  

Lots of advice here - some conflicting because everyone's system is different. You're about to try FODMAP, and that could help...I wish you luck!

BUT, don't just look at your diet - PLEASE push to get a scan.  You have a strong history for cancer and I'm not saying that's what's wrong, but you haven't been checked for any blockage, and it sounds like that should be ruled out.

It's great that you don't seem to have Coeliac, but there are people who can't handle gluten (even cross contamination in minute amounts) who don't have CD.  I wonder if somehow starches are a problem, in general?  

Find a good probiotic and talk with the doctors about stomach acid - reflux/burping can feel acidic but it's ususally too little acid and not too much - the food isn't broken down properly in the stomach. It may not be what you eat but how your body digests (or doesn't). Some food may be worse than others, but all could be a problem if the gut is unbalanced.  

I hope you find the right answers for you and soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.