Bloating after every single meal.

Posted , 24 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with IBS for some time now. My bloating is the worst I have ever seen on anyone, at first it was my lower bowl that was bloated but recently it's moved up to my stomach and has become 10x worse. I've also put two stone on in the past year (don't know if these are related?) and i'm burping a lot more.

I have a very active lifestyle, I cycle 8 miles a day during the week, go to the gym 3-4 times a week and eat a very healthy balanced diet (over the summer 2014 was more unhealthy so made a big change). I have museli or porridge with a banana for breakfast, an apple at around 11, salad with bulgur wheat, brown rice or lentils for lunch and then usually a stir fry or wholeweat pasta for dinner (bulghur wheat, lentils and pasta, and bread have all been cut out now). I also avoid diary as much as possible (recently cut it out completely in exhange for almond milk).

This morning I had porridge made with almond milk and banana with chia, flax and golden linseeds AND I'M BLOATED !!!

The doctor has tested my blood and stools for coelic and infections but all came back negative. I've been sent to the nutritionist who is referring me to go on FODMAP, but I have been trying to follow that until the appointment and still no help there. I've been drinking lots of water, taking peppermint capsules and warm lemon water and I'm still bloated.

I have an IUD coil fitted and asked the nurse practioner if it could be that, which she said no. Thing that worries me is we have both breast and ovarian cancer in my family, my mother died of ovarian cancer 10 years ago, but the doctors don't seem to think that's particularly important. Mind you he hasn't even looked/felt my stomach, but referred me to gastro so I guess they'll do that.

I'm so down and depressed with these symptoms, I'm literally doing everything to try and stop the bloating but nothing is working.

I went gluten free for over a year which helped, but I still got bloated. The doctor said that it was probably reducing the amount of fibre I was getting so I introduced it back into my diet (big mistake) 

The only time I don't get bloated is when I don't eat anything at all. My grandmother suggested I try the 5:2 diet to give my bowl a rest but I don't think it's a particularly healthy diet to be on, I tried it and my stomach was flat until I ate the next day.

Anyone got any solutions? I literally cry every day about this at the moment! I can't cope anymore!

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

please read about digestive enzymes, good quality probiotics,  leaky gut and avoiding all sugar........which includes processed food. My daughter has been feeling soooo much better by cutting out sugar and taking probiotics and started digestive enzymes to-day..............
  • Posted

Hi there. Do you have trouble digesting at all? I have leaky gut and I have big problems digesting. The harder the food is to digest, the more bloated I get. I have been very depressed and stressed recently which apparently causes a reduction in digestive enzymes so if you are depressed, this will have an impact on your digestion/bloating.  I have been recommended to try a digestive enzyme supplement.
  • Posted

so today i've eaten :

porridge with banana

mushroom, spinach and balsamic salad

an apple

stirfried coconut rice with chicken and lots of veggies

two pieces of chocolate

rice pudding with jam

3x pepermint oil

2x green tea

2l of water

And my stomach is HUGE. I never use to have this problem what has happened sad(

• Posted

drop the green tea see if that helps .

and then drop pepermint r oil see if either helps some times these

things agravate the system  and cause bloating .

i am terriable with mint it makes me feel sick bloats my stomach and then gives me dirorah. green tea can cause wind and bloating

to .

also grains like prrridge can be a problem with some people to .

can you trace back to when you were ok and what you were eating then . remember healthy diet for one person may not be a healthy diet for you.

a gp wrote an article in the daily express last year about how her fibro symptoms improved when she stopped eating healthy , i think that speaks volumes .confused

• Posted

I could analyse the items you ate (could it be the dairy? All of the veggies? - Oat porridge or semolina?) but since it's happening even when you alter your diet, I still think it's not dependent on one factor like gluten or lactose, but a problem in the digestive system, probably your stomach... I know this can be a complication of IBS but I do think you should rule out any other conditions. 
    • Posted

Oat porridge, had no dairy today apart fromthe rice pudding and chocolate but was bloated before that anyway! yeah i think it's a problem with my digestive system, i've cut out dairy and gluten completely before and had problems still, it just keeps getting worse..
    • Posted

Take out apple, peppermint, mushroom and chocolate! All high fodmap foods which your body struggles to digest!
    • Posted

Apples and mushrooms yes, peppermint is recommended on FODMAP as is dark chocolate?
    • Posted

it may be reccomended but its not law and it could be whats causing the problem whats right for one isent for another fodmap or no fodmap 

i cant do any of the above .due to fibro

• Posted

If I eat what you are mentioning here i will be in bad shape.

Oats (porridge) are a no no for me. Bananas are not easy to digest either. I could have a 1/2 banana sometimes into my blended juices.

apples? I cook them into compots or blend them into juices.

salads? avoid them specially when I am with a flare.

Coconut? just the very natural coconut water, other than that it upsets my stomach.

I insist. a chicken broth, even cooked with onions, you take the onions out after... and then its a whole meal: cooked chiken, carrots, etc. The broth can be added to rice...

• Posted

Have you seen articles on Fecal Microbiota Transplant (FMT). Seems to be able to cure loads of problems besides the stomach issues. Seems you take on the health of the doner in some cases. They are developing tablets instead of invasive treatment. It is interesting reading and video clips.
  • Posted

Hi,

ask your gastro consultant to do a sehcat test. this tests for bile acid/salt malabsorption. Many people with ibs are wrongly diagnosed with ibs when bile acid malabsorption can be the real problem (1 in 3 people!) & it mimics the symptoms of ibs. the sehcat test involves swallowing a mildly radioactive tracer capsule that contains synthetic bile acid. you then get scanned 3hrs later. you go back 7days later & get scanned a 2nd time. they can workout from this if you are losing too much bile acid instead of reabsorbing it as you should do. if you are losing too much bile acid (through your colon) it causes symptoms that mimic ibs especially stomach ache, bloating & chronic diarrhea. the condition can be treated with a tablet. so it's worth asking for, if not to eliminate it. hope this helps. take care.

• Posted

Hi, I agree you should ask for scans/blood tests as a precaution because of your family history. But also if you are better off without gluten/wheat then you need to give up oats. There is a substance in oats similar to gluten that can cause the same problem. I gave up wheat and couldn't understand why Istill had problems. Read about this and gave up the oat based breakfast cereal and biscuits I was eating and gradually improved. I have been tested for coeliac and was told it was "negative "  by a receptionist when I rang the docs. I had been so uncomfortable eating wheat before the test (have to eat wheat for 4-6 weeks regularly before having the test) I was not happy with this and went to see the GP. She said I measured 7.5 on the tTGA test. Less than 4 is normal, more than 10 is considered coeliac so I was "gluten intolerant". if I felt better not eating wheat then she said that was fine. My partner has crohn's and is already on gluten free because it helps him a lot so I am familiar with lots of gluten free stuff. I like a lot of it and of course you can eat gluten free even if you are not coeliac. There is far too much wheat in a modern western diet. Don't just cut out the obvious bread and biscuits etc. Wheat is in sooo much stuff. Sausages, some crisps, gravy granules etc etc. I use amaranth, quinoa and millet and make my own porridge with it. Teff flour is good and have just found gluten free organic sausages on the internet. Delicious!
    • Posted

Hey Jeanie,

I've already been gluten free for a long time. Not all oat products have gluten in - oats are usually grown very close to wheat products so although oats don't have gluten in, they may be contaminated with other gluten containing products. You can get gluten free oats which is whatI used.

There's studies that have been conducted recently that say not eating gluten when you're not cealiac can be detremental as there are many nutrient s in gluten containing products that you will struggle to supplement in your diet elsewhere, best is to avoid processed gluten and try and make your own bread a biscuits.

Dan Lapard has a really good gluten free bread recipe using only cornflour, and golden linseeds, which are also very good for digestion : 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gluten-free_olive_oil_42050

You can get gluten free food anywhere now, I don't think it'sgluten though because I still have symptoms when I don't eat gluten..

• Posted

I found cornflour (and corn-based products in general) to be the absolute worst thing in causing my IBS. Others may be different, but I'd suggest testing it yourself before making it a part of your diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.