bloating after taking off Nexium

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone has experience after taking off Nexium? I am having bloating tummy not sure because I drink tea if it makes my stomach more acid. I decided to take off Nexium because I had severe diarhear and I did research that shows it causes" watery stool but rarely." What should I take to replace it? My watery stool without pain or vomit but a little bit unable to burp. Anyone has the same problem.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Thi, are you sure it was the Nexium causing you the trouble and not a temporary infection that would pass in a day or two? If you are sure, then your doctor would best inform you of another PPI medicine to take.

As for the tea, a decaffeinated one would be a better choice, though some reflux sufferers even find that causes them issues, nor might this make any difference to the bloating trouble you are having.

• Posted

I have had diarreah many times and almost every 60 days or so I had it. I have celliac deaseas but usually, it will be gone with charcoal tablets but this time I have to take Immodium. I try not to eat bread only rice to see if it happens. Meanwhile I take Zantac and gasviscon. I went to doctor he said it was virus. I didn't have wind during the diarreah but watery stools. I didnt feel sort of tiredness or exhaustion may be because I drink a lot of water. Thanks for your advice. Nexium is best one. I had reduced it to 20mg perday only plus zantac at night. If the doctor gives another brand, I dont think it will work as effective as Nexium. I try to get off Nexium for there is a website that says it is not good to low the acid and it makes you become indigestion. I didnt belch or having heartburn but it seems it collects or stores all the gas instead of let out by burping it stays in your intestine and when it becomes too much it exploded  through your colon. However, my theory about my case may be wrong. Just worry because this time the charcoal doesnt work. I dont know whether I should go for colonoscopy.
  • Posted

As suggested in my reply to your other post. Changing to a different PPI may be the answer. This is a commonly reported side effect of PPIs. Some people react to one but not another.

I don't know whether I agree with your comment that tea makes the stomach more acid. The acidity or alkalinity of fodds has little effect on the reservoir of concentrated acid it meets in the stomach. But you may have identified that tea is one of your particular trigger foods.

If you need to burp, sip a small amount of plain carbonated water. This is a tip I picked up from a gatroenterologist years ago and I use all the time. I've also discovered in discussion with many other reflux sufferers how many of them have found this useful, too. (Though many (particulalrly US patients) are worried about taking soda.)

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am indeed appreciated. I will try to sip carbonate water. I may change to other natural medication. At the moment I stop Nexium and just have Zantac for night and during the time, I use Gaviscon or Renie. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.