Bloating and breathlessness with ibs, am i the only 1??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since january my ibs really flared up, after a couple of weeks the breathlessness started again. Then came the back pain and chest pain and like i feeling i need to burp but cant. At first my doc thought it was acid reflux cos i do suffer with it but nope thats calmed down. After tests and bloods shes now saying its my ibs and a bit of my anxiety causing it. Can ibs really cause short of breath and back pain?? Its freaking me out xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hey bev, I can understand how uncomfortable that feels....Well you might feel breathlessness and chest pain with bloating, As your bloated bowels can compress your diaphragm, and can cause difficulty in breathing and sometimes chest pain, May I ask what is your age? Well, anxiety can increase your heart rate and increased heart rate can cause chest pain and also we can feel conscious sensation like our heart is beating...you just need to control your IBS and anxiety as both are closely related to each other.....

Take care of your diet and eat more soft fibers not harsh one, for anxiety you can do yoga/meditation and you can also ask your gp to prescribe anxiolytics for time being, and take care of body's vitamins and electrolytes as whenever we have stomach issues we don't get enough nutrition as we use to avoid food...so you can take supplements too, especially vitamin Dbiggrin As vitamin d deficiency is seen in patients with atypical chest pain, if every other causes are ruled out.

• Posted

Im 42. I started with anxiety 4 yrs ago. Had ibs for many yrs lol. Ive never been this bad with it tho. Thats what the doc now thinks that im so bloated my insides are getting pushed up and causing it. (i look 6 months pregant at the min) Its as if im in a wheel, the breathlessness trips my anxiety which then makes my ibs worse and so on. Just need to know that im not alone with these problems with it. xx
  • Posted

IBS can cause back pain because the sigmoid colon which is the end part of your bowel wraps around your lower back.  I have had back pain with my IBS.   I have never heard of breathlessness with it.  However ,if you are very anxious with your symptoms, anxiety itself could cause shortness of breath.
  • Posted

Hi Beverly, this sounds like ibs and panic/anxiety attacks on top.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.