Bloating and Gas - is it the same?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry if this seems strange but I can't tell the difference between bloating, gas or just plain fat.  I'm overweight and have quite a big stomach.  When I'm sitting down I can grab my fat ie I can pinch more than an inch or two but when I stand up although I can't grab as much fat as when I'm sitting down, my stomach feels soft ish as opposed to rock hard which I assume is bloating.   I had a scan and the radiologist said I had a lot of 'gas' is this not good?  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi carina

Bloating is when you retain water so much so that you physically are heavier - feel heavier/look heavier. Gas is your bodies reactions to the foods you are eating.

I drink a lot of ginger root tea with camomile on it. Don't drink or eat anything hot or cold as your stomach will have to do a lot of work inside and this can cause gas

Try to eat small meals everyday and only drink liquid after eating. I'm not a doctor but these stuff helped me (everyone's different).

• Posted

Sorry but I'm still none the wiser with my stomach.  I am overweight and always put my 'big' stomach down to fat.  For example,  when I am sitting down I can grab my rolls of fat (sorry!), when I stand up my tummy looks big, I can prod it all over but it's more soft, sponge like than solid.  When I am lying down, it is also very soft, I also have a lot of digestive issues which I've had for a long time now.  I keep hearing about ascites which is fluid build up in the abdomen and can be related to some serious issues like cancer so am trying to work out whether it's normal or not for me.  Any ideas?  I have tried to google but it's all very vague. 
    • Posted

Hi carina

Nice to hear from you smile First of all, DONT BE SORRY. I am here to help and I believe you will get better soon

Do you feel pain in your stomach?

Do you like going for walk? I've been off work for a month now. I go for 10-20mins walk after meal and this has helped me a lot with my bloating and gassy stomach

How's your eating habits? Avoid spicy, anything fried, soda, caffeine etc for now till your stomach heals. Don't drink anything hot or cold.

I make cabbage, a lil carrots & Apple everyday - drink up before breakfast (cabbage heals your stomach lining)

Hope this helps, if you need someone to talk to u can email me at cb_279@h o t m a i l . c o m smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I don't have pain but I get a lot of tummy noises happening like now after I've eaten something.  As soon as I eat something I start to burp is this normal?  I'm only just taking notice of my digestive issues but always thought it was sort of 'normal' which I don't think it is.   I will drop you an email if you don't mind as it's quite a lengthy explanation and thanks. 
    • Posted

I also burp a lot after eating and sometimes my stomach makes so much noise (I haven't had answers to this yet as Im still in recovery as well)

Do you keeps a food diary? Make sure u do so and write down stuff uve eaten and symptoms - this has helped me a lot.

Avoid anything dairy for now ..

• Posted

Hi,

Try by omitting milk and chilles from your diet,

taking small and frequent meals, and not lying down for atleat half an hour after meals, you may take curds and buttermilk if you like.

Hope you feel happy !!

• Posted

I'm going to be no help whatsoever but I totally get the same feeling after earring really greasy foods, think I might have an intolorance or something!

Do you get it after eating certain foods?

How do you make it go away and do you get really gassy and burp a lot?

• Posted

If you try a little exercise the gas will find its way through your digestive system and out.  It sounds like that may be how you might solve this by exercising and watching what you eat.

richard

• Posted

Hi Carina, first I want to say that EVERYONE can grab more of their body fat when sitting down, this is just the nature of our bodies. Bloating is when your stomach tissue is inflammed, which doesn't necessarily hurt but can make it harder to fit into the pair of jeans that normally fit. Gas is actual trapped gas/air within your digestive tract. They can both make you feel fatter but I generally find they make me more uncomfortable overall. Bloating and inflammation can be tougher to understand in regards to a source (some foods are inflammatory like coffee, alcohol, tomatoes, eggplant, dairy) but gas is typicallly due to your body having difficulty processing the foods you're eating. That could be related to highly processed foods (products in a box on the grocery shelf), fried foods or a food allergy/reaction to the foods you're eating. We tend to eat the same types of foods over and over again, then don't take care of ourselves (by drinking plenty of water, getting some exercise and proper sleep each night). I say you get your digestive system working properly, lots of organic (if you can) fruits and vegetables, with lean meats and good quality carbohydrates (avoid white bread and pasta, choose whole wheat options and sprouted breads are best), and get moving, even if it's only a 15 minute walk around the block each day. Aside from that, look for some herbal support, safe and effective and won't result in dependancy. I use Triphala Plus made by Sewanti, stuff works like magic to get things moving regularly. Also, drink a glass of filtered water (at room temperature) with a 1/2 lemon squeezed into it each morning, as soon as you get out of bed. Get enough sleep each night is another secret. I plan for 8.5 hours each night and that usually allows me to actually get 7.5-8 each night. Let me know if you want more detail, I can give some additional suggestions if you'd like. Cheers!
    • Posted

Thanks for your response.  Like i say, because i am overweight and have a large stomach (which i am trying to get down by dieting i have to say!) i just don't know if it looks normal.  My worry is that i have a bloated stomach or worse ascites as these all point to something sinister (ie cancer).  I'm just trying to work out whether this is the case.   I have been to my GP and she has prodded me/poked me while lying on the couch but because i am overweight i have heard that sometimes doctors are unsure about this even upon examination. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.