Bloating every time i eat...?

Posted , 31 users are following.

I'm not sure why, but whenever i eat anything, i seem to bloat quite badly, to the point where I look pregnant. I don't know if it's a case that i've got IBS or not, because it doesn't seem to matter what i eat? i don't know whether to make an appointment with the docs for an afternoon and go there with the 'evidence' or not? I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this? it's been happening for a few months now and is getting worse. I am fairly sure i have a wheat intollerance because i can't eat any bread but am unsre about other food items? If you could let me know what you think i would be grateful and would be happy to take part in any discussion. Thank you.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know that it has been a year+ but what did the doctor say that caused the bloating?
  • Posted

Hi beckie5328

I know its been a year already

But may i ask what was your diagnosis?

• Posted

I had the same issue for nearly 2 years and struggled with it to the point I was almost fainting from gas pressing up against my lungs and chest area.. I even went to A&E numerous times and at my worst I was rushed to hospital in an ambulance because they thought I was having an heart attack! They determined this not me. But it turned out it was trapped wind pressing up against my chest!

After tryiing everything to try and deal with it including cutting out this and that and even dairy for a month to the point where all I ate was plain chicken breast and a bit of cucumber each day I started on probiotic supplements and slowly the upper gas issue got better.. I still had the bloating so I added digestive enzymes to my meals and a product called "Flourish" which feeds the good bacteria in the bottom of the small intestines where all the gas is produced (because of bad bacteria thriving) and things got better and I no longer become swollen.

Today I tucked into chocolate, crisps, steak and kidney puddings with gravy and a mountain of veg.. Garlic and cheese on toast and my stomach is as flat as a pancake!

• Posted

Hi Becki, I absolutely can relate to your problem I am a male over 50 and for the past 10yrs Ive had this problem. I bloat severely after nearly every bit of food I put in my belly. In the morning sometimes Im extremely bloated after merely drinking 1 cup of coffee having not eating anything since the prior evening. Ive tried gluten free, lactose free you name it and nothing chnages one bit. I havent been to the GI because every time I read a post form someone who has these exact symptoms and has tried all the different food abstinences prescribed by their doctors and has found no avail it greatly discourages me. But let me be plain when I say severe bloating I mean severe. I have a flat stomach normally and not at all overweight but when I eat I appear as woman about 8 mos prego.
  • Posted

You most likely have a bacterial imbalance or overgrowth. I used to have the same problem but I fixed it. Research on SIBO and Candida and if you relate you most likely have one or the other, or in extreme cases both. The bloating is produced by the bacteria and is known to be triggered by just about anything. Also, if you have taken antibiotics a lot, birth control, PPIs such as Prilosec, antacids, or pain relievers you are almost sure to have it. Good luck, hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Emma, may i ask how u got rid of your sibo? What did you do? Ive tried everything!
  • Posted

Hi All

I'm sorry, for some reason, replies to this thread seem to go into my Junk folder so i've not seen that you have asked for an update. 

Since the post, I kept my food diary and couldn't find any correlation between what I was eating and my bloating. This also got worse because I was then finding that I was having pains across the top of my stomach and severe bowl movements. Usually to the point where I would be up all night, and sleeping on the bathroom floor! Delightful! 

I went back to the doctors with the diary and he said that it sounds like IBS and to keep an eye on it, and in the meantime to have a blood test to check for any Ovarian problems (given the bloating and the bad stomach) and also Inflammatory Bowl Disease. I had the blood test and both came back negative so as the Doc couldn't diagnose either of the two things he was concerned about, he diagnosed IBS. I have been given Mebervine and continue to take Buscopan IBS Cramps tablets which both have a brilliant affect on me. 

I have now discovered that MSG, found in Chinese, has an extremely bad effect on me so, sadly, I now try to avoid that where possible and have now also limited my wheat intake. 

Not only have I lost weight, i'm also feeling much better. 

Thank you all for your excellent help and guidance and also for asking for an update. 

I hope anyone who is feeling the same is able to find some releif as I know how debilitating it can be. I also appreciate how frustrating it can be not to know what you can and cannot eat. 

Thank you again. 

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I was also tested for Coeliac disease but this also came up negative as well. Phew!
  • Posted

I have been dealing with the exact same issue except it’s been for about 3 years. I also have IBS. I was sure I was allergic to gluten. But I had the test done and I’m not. It. Doesn’t matter tho. Anything I eat swells me up like I’m 9 months pregnant.  I have had several colonoscopies and upper GIs done. Nothing. No issues. No doctor as of yet has any explanation at all. I guess I’m just supposed to deal with it. If you find out anything please please email me. I’d like to have something to at least try.  Diets don’t help. Liquids don’t help. Nothing helps.   Just miserable.  
    • Posted

Hi there~

Was wondering if anyone has reached out to you, with any ideas? I am going through the exact same thing EVERY SINGLE DAY... I just want to cry! This stomach issue has made me very depressed! Have you tried anything that has seem to help? I don't know what to do!!

• Posted

Becki_ this is exactly what happens to me. Did you ever figure out what was going on? Did you get help? If so... what worked for you? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.