Bloating/full feeling at sternum

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had gallbladder out a year ago; lipase elevated between 74 and 113 over that time frame; pain in upper abdomen. Have excess bile in stomach causing gastritis. Dr wants to do an ERCP to check for SOD... Risky procedure ...anyone experience this? Has anyone had an ERCP with sphincterotomy? Outcome? Complications?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've read on a lot of pancreatitis sites that it it a risky procedure and they don't like to do it very often anymore I'm in uk not sure where you are. It can cause pancreatitis attack and you don't want one of those! I think they only use them now if you already have chronic pancreatitis to fit stents etc. I'd ask for a less invasive procedure. Could an EUS or normal endoscope not find SOD? Sorry I can't be more help but personally I'd look into alternatives if possible.
  • Posted

I thought the gallbladder secreted the bile so you're saying you had your gallbladder taken out but still have excessive bio and need this procedure. I will look it up but if you don't mind what is the procedure what does it do which finger does it remove and if it does do they put a artificial finger don't you need food to pass through to pass through. Also I have bloating but no severe pain in my left side seems to be my stomach but my GI which I can't stand and won't go back to keep saying it's probably gas trapping in the fold of my large intestine under my stomach but have not gotten an endoscopy yet to evaluate will get soon. But I had an endoscopy and an upper GI done for years ago and he said I had excessive bile production then
    • Posted

Gallbladder holds excess bile...so now it goes into my stomach...the proceedure is an ERCP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.