Posted , 5 users are following.

Here are my symptoms:

Gas and frequent burping 

Burping and tasting food eaten hours before 

Bloating and distension that's lasts a while 

Gurgling noises in abdomen 

Indigestion - upset stomach, diarrhea and occasional vomiting 

Most recently - dizziness 

Background: I've had poor eating habits for years. Skipping breakfast, not eating on time, eating junk etc. My doctor thinks it's a build up of acid. Sometimes I feel a lump in my throat. I don't get pain or heartburn. I did a barium meal x ray and my doc said my duodenum is a bit narrow. However when I googled an image of the digestive system the narrowness he was pointing to is actually the pyloric sphincter - the muscle which controls opening/closing. 

Can anyone relate to these symptoms? What tests did u do and what was your diagnosis? what treatment are you on? I was put on omeprazole and cimitidine. They did help but unfortunately I had some other unrelated health issues that I had to take anti biotics for so I had to come off of those for a little while. Can anyone suggest a meal plan for me? Really need help. Desperately need to feel better because I get depressed and cry a lot. It gives me anxiety too. I want to enjoy life. 

Thank you.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

How long have you had these symptoms? If you’re vomiting and have diarrhoea then it could be a case of gastroenteritis or an infection. Try eating smaller meals, bland foods. Sometimes a stomach illness can leave you with digestion problems for a while but they should clear up eventually. Or sometimes they can leave you with post infectious IBS. Keep going back to your doctor though if things persist. Hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I don't think it's gastroenteritis. This is more of a long term problem. My stomach feels a bit upset right now. It was bloated even though I ate almost 7 hours ago. I went to the toilet which I thought would give me some relief but since then I have been feeling nauseous. Not sure my stomach is emptying food like it should. I'm also not sure i'm absorbing enough nutrients as I have been feeling dizzy for this whole week. I just drank some antacid. Hoping for relief so I can get some sleep. 

• Posted

I ate fried chicken earlier tonight which may have triggered this. Fatty foods are harder to digest. But i thought once i dont eat it late at night i should be ok. 
    • Posted

This condition is really affecting me mentally. I am so sad and worried. I wonder if i will ever be normal again. 
  • Posted

Hi farah41194

Start a new eating regime. Start by having breakfast cereal with fibre there are plenty to choose from. Breakfast is very important. Try going gluten free, lactose free, wheat free, caffeine free, sugar free..eat bland foods chicken, fish cooked in coconut oil or olive oil...some red meats...green leafy veg not too much broc, cabbage, sprouts because can cause gas..have salads, wholemeal pasta and rice not too much of these just now and again....low fat sauces and gluten free...fruit no citrus, have grapes blueberries yellow fleshy fruits....no fizzy drinks plenty of water..use probiotic tablets and biopot yohurts with cultures read label......three healthy meals day..little fruit and nut snacks in between. You can get all the gluten free etc., at the 'free from' section in a popular supermarket if in UK ...also 'lactose free' section....it will take a while to get into it but you will benefit in the long run ..we do have to help ourselves we can't always look to a doctor to help us if we can help ourselves initially..if after all these changes you still get symptoms go back to doc and tell of all the changes you made then leave it to them....my best wishes to you...

• Posted

Hi farah41194

No probs..happy to help. I hope the change of diet works for you..my very best wishes to you for a favourable outcome....

• Posted

Have you ever looked into magnesium supplements to help digestion? I read that in another forum but I want to know if it works. 
  • Posted

Part of the problem could be a weak oesophageal sphincter. Stick to a bland diet and eat little but often. Go back to your doctor and ask about IBS because some of your symptoms could be IBS.  Do you get stomach pain that moves about? Have you been tested for h pylori?
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. No I don't get stomach pain. My H Pylori test was negative. 

• Posted

This is really affecting me mentally. I am so sad. I wonder if i will ever be normal again. 
    • Posted

There are many many people out there that don’t feel ‘normal ‘, you’re not alone. I know what it’s like not to feel like your normal self, very upsetting and frustrating. But it will get sorted out I’m sure. Digestive problems effect so many other parts of your body and can cause you anxiety and low moods. I would definitely steer clear of fried, fatty foods and perhaps don’t eat past 6pm. Some digestive issues take a while to settle and it may be a case of trial and error to see what works and what doesn’t. Try not to stress,  I know it’s hard. 
    • Posted

Try not to stress; worry will make symptoms worse.  Avoid fatty, spicy and rich foods.  Stick to a bland diet.  Keep trying antacids.  Eat little but often and don’t eat late at night.  Ask for a PPI if ordinary antacids don’t work. A GI doctor will be able to help you. 

I have chronic acid reflux and some very fatty, rich and spicy foods trigger an upset stomach.  However, I don’t bother about it.  I take antacids and avoid any irritants. This helps me.  Try distraction techniques to take your mind of your stomach. Light exercise can help with digestion.

• Posted

It's really difficult and affects my quality of life. I recently went on vacation and it was a struggle. Most mornings I felt sick and anxious. Had to force myself to eat and to go out and enjoy things. I lost weight too. This used to happen to me back in 2014 then i started eating earlier in the day and it stopped for about 3 years then this year August it came back. Been going on for about 4 months. Some days are not so bad. Other days are horrible. I changed my diet, I'm doing a lot of reading and I will go see a GI. I have to beat this!

• Posted

This is great advice. You guys are awesome!! These forums help a lot.

Soon I will be off the anti biotics and will go back on Prilosec. 

• Posted

Have you ever looked into magnesium supplements to help digestion? I read that in another forum but I want to know if it works. 
    • Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.