Bloating post heller myotomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been feeling bloated sometimes my stomach getting swollen and it's visible after I eat. Is this normal? Had laparoscopic heller myotomy + fundoplication 2 weeks ago. Also on a side note doctors put me on a liquid/puree diet for 2 weeks after surgery, but id say 3 days before the 2 week mark I tried ground beef and some fish later that night. I was just starving and wanted something more fulfilling than just broth or sweets (ice cream, milkshakes, oatmeal, ect.). Was it a mistake to break the diet before they said? The food went down fine. I just couldn't eat a normal portion because I get full pretty fast.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kayla.  The bloating and swelling is normal; I am 4 months post-surgery, and still get this at times.  Take it easy and slow with introducing solid foods into your diet, and keep the meal portions very small.  I am so happy for you, that your food is going down well.  Probably better to introduce 1 new thing, at a time.
    • Posted

Ok thank you! I will definitely take it easy I don't want to do more than I can handle. What is your experience after all those months post op? Are there any complications? Or has swallowing kept improving or remained the same?

• Posted

Kayla, each person's experience will be unique to them.  As there are 3 types of Achalasia, again, improvements or not, will depend upon that as well, as age and how long one has had Achalasia.  Although I was diagnosed this past June, I apparently have had Achalasia for 'decades,' and was at end-stage of type 1, when I was diagnosed.  Tomorrow, I will be having an endoscopy and possible balloon dilation. You have mentioned that your food is 'moving down, which is good news, fantastic for you.  As I suggested above, be kind to your system, and introduce new foods slowly.  You will discover what will work or not work for you.  It is all 'trial and error.' 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.