Bloating To Add To The Long List Of Menopausal Symptoms..

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm nearly 48 and have have been having peri-menopausal symptoms for five years now. The list is joint pain, thinning hair, the onset of thyroid problems, foggy head etc In the last few months my periods are erratic with some months bleeding for days/weeks on end and then they seem to behave themselves in a normal cycle. Since my last period, I have had pelvic discomfort which comes and goes and then terrible bloating and indigestion. Again this is worse with what I eat (anything nice!) and improves slightly if I barely eat anything other than bananas and yoghurt. My doctor is referring me for an ultrasound and a C125 blood test to rule out ovarian cancer but has told me not to worry or be alarmed. With bloating on and off going on for two weeks now, I'm sure the worry and the anxiety are feeding it! Anyone else having these issues?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If all normal with Ca125 and u/s (vaginal????), it’s all normal for peri. 
  • Posted

Hey hun, you are definitely not alone in suffering these symptoms, they are all very common amongst us ladies on here. We all have one horrid thing in common - the menopause. So many of us are suffering all the same symptoms as you so I hope that knowing that you are not alone is of comfort to you. Keep your chin up hun it wont last forever! XXX
  • Posted

It's just this bloating which is so hard to live with. I wake in the morning and for about an hour I feel my normal self and then it starts. If I'm out and about walking the dogs, housework or sorting my horses and chickens. I feel absolutely fine. The minute I sit down, it starts with bloating and belching. Its been a couple of weeks now and my tests are next week which you cant help worry over...

• Posted

It's just this bloating which is so hard to live with. I wake in the morning and for about an hour I feel my normal self and then it starts. If I'm out and about walking the dogs, housework or sorting my horses and chickens. I feel absolutely fine. The minute I sit down, it starts with bloating and belching. Its been a couple of weeks now and my tests are next week which you cant help worry over...

• Posted

You might want to try an alkaline diet. Look it up, it will help with reflux. I don't think your ovaries would cause belching, so the bloating sounds like it goes with the belching. Best to get the testing for your ovaries, but it's probably not that. If you go to a gastro the first thing they will tell you is to take a PPI, like nexium, but that can make reflux worse. Try cutting out caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, mint, black tea, soda, these are all reflux offenders among others. 

• Posted

My severe bloating and belching has started around this age too. It is especially pronounced during allergy season. And now I have allergies 10 months a year!
  • Posted

Don't worry I certainly had all these symptoms apart from period issues. (I am also 48) But then I had mirena coil since 2015. That’s the very reason I wanted mirena. I just felt along with all the symptoms I couldn't possible cope with erratic periods&bleeding. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I am sure all is normal.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies which does make me feel better. I will take a look at the Alkaline diet as have always been "stomachy" but my diet can be full of probably the wrong things... Have made a much better effort in the last couple of months. If this is all peri-menopausal isn't it just a long list of things to put up with! sad

• Posted

Just to let you know that I have my pelvic scan external and internal! It seems that I have had an ovarian cyst that has ruptured and bled into itself, hence the pain, bloating and not feeling that great. Apparently common when woman hit the menopause. So if you have ovarian pain and bloating, go and get it checked out. I have been crapping myself it's the big C and feel so much better now. I will have to discuss the results with the doctor next week and have to have another scan in 8 weeks to check that the cyst is not regrowing. If it does, I may have to have it removed. So all deep joy and still not 100% but feel better than I did. I am beginning to wonder whether we will ever feel 100% again! The womb has a lot to answer for...

• Posted

Sorry to hear your news but at least you did the right thing and got checked out. Heres hoping it heals ok and you have no more problems. We should all learn from this one ladies. Any pains so bad they debilitate you, or even if they are just really worrying you, go to the dr and get checked over. Hope you feel better soon hun XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.