Blocked ear

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, just wondering if this sounds familar to anyway, im wondering if i have something wrong with my eustachian tube. My right ear is feels blocked and i also have a feeling of a lump in the right hand of my throat? this also makes me feel light headed? Just recently been diagnosed with acid reflux, but i seem to think i have a few things going on at once. colleen

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

To anyone not anyway (early in the morning) lol
  • Posted

They say that acid reflux disease often involves the throat and can be associated or may cause ETD (one of the many associations). Some people with ETD do apparently complain of being light-headed. Terminology here is important - are you dizzy (room spins around you); do you have associated nausea/vomiting? True dizzyness (vertigo) with nausea/vomiting could mean Menieres disease which is associated with EDT. Light headed as in foggy head feeling is not vertigo. Anyway an ENT can rather quickly figure out if you have ETD and can determine whether you have vertigo or a foggy head feeling. If you have ETD, the problem is finding a cause and treatment that auctually works. Lumps in your  throat are best evaluated by an ENT.
    • Posted

Hiya, no the room isnt spinning, i feel rather like im not in control of my own head if that makes sense.
  • Posted

Hi Colleen. 

Take things one at a time. The acid reflux? Do you have a good diet? If you do and still feel the sensation of acid reflux... you may consider this. I too once had what appeared to be acid reflux. I also had this feeling of a bulge or lump in my throat. My experience goes like this: The body is wrapped with Fascia. It wraps around everything. Look it up on the net. The fascia around my esophagus was so tight is was causing two problems. One: it felt constricted and bulgy. The second... and this important: The fascia being wrapped around my esophagus would pull on my stomach sphincter when I leaned my head back. This caused a false induced acid reflux. How to cure this is simple. Castor oil the front of your neck... lay over a clothe of sorts.. apply heating pack for twenty minutes. Repeat every day for a week. My throat was so tight I found a massage therapist that could actually work the facsia all around the part of the esophagus that is exposed. Fascia work is an everyday practice in Europe... Google structual therapist to find one in your area. 

Good luck

From my experiance you probably don't have any ET problems. They are more centralized in the ET area. 

• Posted

oh thats interesting earman. My acid reflux was diagnosed last week after an endoscopy, but no-one has advised me of diet as yet, so on this topic im unsure. I just hate whats happening to me just now, im just not me anymore, getting so many different symptoms that i just dont understand. I will google that and see if there is one in my area, thanks.
    • Posted

I would also see a naturalpath. Diet and other considerations may be at play. 
  • Posted

Definitely sounds like acid reflux. The acid washes up on your esophagus and larynx (throat) area and that causes the feeling in your throat. Your sinuses and adenoids go into overdrive producing mucus to protect the liniing of your throat/esophagus and thus block the eustachian tube. That's why you feel the blocked ears. You need the get your reflux under control and it could take weeks or months depending on the severity of your problem. Nasal sprays and nasal rinses with help and the salt in the solutions will also soothe your throat and nasal cavities. Recommended treatment is 2x day proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Protonix or Prilosec) and cutting out the most offending foods such as caffeine (no coffee at all), sodas, junk food (no french fries), spicy food etc. Also try not to eat after 7pm in the evening and instead of eating 3 larger meals try to eat 4-6 smaller meals. You'll be surprised at the results. 
    • Posted

Thank you laszlo, i will try all you suggest. yday i was at doc for some blood results and it also turns out my vitamin b12 is low and now been put on tablets for that also. Im on lansaprozole 30mg twice daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.