Blocked ears affect my balance. What could be causing it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I booked to have my ears syringed, the nurse at my surgery said she couldn't see any wax, but I can actually feel a gluey sensation when I move my jaw.  Any ideas?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi girl welcome to the club of people that we know we have somthing wrong with our ears and ENTs say "oh no they are fine' what the are we imagining our ears odd sensations? What can you do? Hummm one thing I was told is that the ear problem could spur from the jaw and I was sent to a maxilofacial dentist so may want to try that...
  • Posted

Yeah, welcome to the club. I suppose it drains or reabsorbs after a couple of months or people wouldn't atop posting here.... About 5 weeks in for me, and it's more and more 'mobile' in there, which I'm taking as good...
  • Posted

This has been ongoing for months so it's not draining or re-absorbing, Megalev...and maxilofacial dentists don't seem to be easily accessible here in the UK, ile 69334.

I was actually looking for ideas about what is causing this, from people who have suffered the same symptoms.  My ear (the right one, more than the left) feels bunged up and actually pops as it un-bungs when I move my jaw...but then goes back to feeling bunged up again, a moment later.   I am also prone to feeling a little dizzy when it's at its worst.

• Posted

Oh wow, I have exactly the same problem, including the nurse saying she couldn't see anything wrong. Have emptied several bottles of remedies into my ear - nothing. Get this incredibly intense sucking, pressure feeling when I tilt my head, sometimes it feels like it "wants to" come out, but nothing arrives!

I know this is a few years old; did you get it sorted? How? I'd be v v v grateful to get some more info on this.

• Posted

It might be a good idea to ask for a second opinion in your GP practice first. I have seen many patients who had plenty of wax in their ear canals but the wax could not be seen with the usual otoscopes available in GP practices.

Ear microsuction offers a much better view of the ear canals. In fact the ear canals are not straight tubes as many people imagine them. They are wider in the deep part and narrower towards the outside (bottle shaped). Some people can have quite winding, tortuous ear canals and inspecting them with the otoscope might not be very easy.

So, I suggest you request a second opinion in your own GP practice first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.