Blocked ears for almost a month now!! What do I do??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

So I woke up a month ago with my ears feeling full, two days later I had really bad tonsillitis. After the tonsillitis cleared up my ears were still feeling full. I can hear everything but every time I strain my ears or try to swallow they click and sound like bubbles popping in the bath. They also make a weird whooshing sound like the one you get when you yawn as if the air is straining to go through my ears.

I went to the GP two weeks ago and he said that he saw a little fluid behind my ears and that it should clear on its own. I went back to the GP however saw a woman who was very rushed and she looked at my ears and said there's no fluid anymore. So I asked her why they are still blocked and she said it could be inflammation. She gave me an ear spray to use.

I've been using the ear spray but nothing has happened yet. I am so scared that I will have to live with blocked ears for the rest of my life as I am only 19 and I fly a lot in the plane and now I'm really scared I won't be able to fly anymore.

Will this go away on it's own?

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Look up eustation tube disfuntion. You can get flonase nose spray and it helps..but u may have times when it doesnt. The ears won't stay clogged I don't believe. But try the spray for a week or so and hold yr breathe and blow out holding yr nose gently and try to pop them open..that helps too..take care..

• Posted

How long do you think it will take to clear? Can I still travel in a plane?
  • Posted

Hi

I had an ear infection back in October from which I ended up with a blocked right eustacian tube. 

This gives me the symptoms you have mentioned.

The symptoms have lessened over time but my tube is still blocked.

I’m having lymphatic draining massages which is helping with the fluid on the ear.

The Ent doctor has said to give it 3 months because the ears are very delicate.

It will go in time, can you go and see an ent doctor?

There are tests to confirm a diagnosis.

Good luck. 

Lynn x

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for your reply. Do you know if I will be able to fly? I cannot see an ent doctor until I fly home to Switzerland in two weeks time. The air travel is scaring me as I do not want to have permanent hearing loss! Thanks

• Posted

Not flown myself since my problem began

I’ve read that some people think it’s a bad idea, causes more problems and others fly and use ant inflammatories and ear plug etc.

Best to research online but ultimately it’s your decision.

It’s the take off and landing, you just won’t know until you’re up there unfortunately.

I don’t think I would until it unblocks.

X

• Posted

Some have flown and had no problems when using the nose spray b4 and make sure to do nose excercises, but then others it worsened the issue for awhile, but eventually they said it cleared..but I agree with Scarlett, research...wink
  • Posted

Hi Scarlett. I just flew from Oregon to California and had no problems. What I did was wear EARPLANES, about 45 minutes before we loaded plane I took a sudefed and sprayed Afrin in my nose. The instructions on EARPLANES, says put them in before they close plane door. Just follow directions and I'm sure you'll have no problems. Good luck

• Posted

hi joyce. would be greaful for any advice you could share. did you have both your ears blocked or were you still able to equalize the pressure in your ears before flying? have to fly in 2 weeks and i am so scared as both my ears are completely blocked for 1.5 months. could you please share more details?

thank you

• Posted

I flew without any problems. Did my earplanes, antihistamine and nose spray. No problems. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. My ent told me I shouldn't have any problems but I really doubt his opinion. both my ears are blocked and can't relieve the presure. I am already thinking about taking a train/bus (although it's 1500 miles) as i am so scared of doing more damage. 

have already bought earplanessmile

Thank you.

• Posted

Please find my posts to others on this Forum.  I'm sure the people that have been

on the Frum for a long time, like I have, get fed up of reading the same information

that I am constantly writing to advise people what has helped me.

If you're in England the meds I'm currently using have help me.

Anne

• Posted

So it's been another week and there has been no change. I went to the doctor again who said that there was redness in one of my ears and prescribed antibiotics. I also have been prescribed a nasal spray and have been inhaling. I feel like my ears will never unblock. I am still having the clicking sound in both ears, how is this possible if only one ear is infected??? Please help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.