Blocked ears! Help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive recently had a cold and my ears are quite clogged up. This never usually happens and I dont get sick often.

Im worried because even as the cold symptoms pass both my ears are still quite blocked. They were quite bad in the beginning (painful and super blocked) but some antihistamines and generic cold meds took the pain and intensity away. There was no pain over the next few days and it has improved a little since then. I took a short course of antibiotics and sudafed for a day or two (and stopped the other medication). Not much difference.

They arent *extremely* blocked - I can still hear alright but its just irrititating. I find myself avoiding social situations because Im not 100% sure how loud im talking. When i swallow there are popping sounds which didnt happen before. And I can pop them when i hold my nose and exhale gently but this doesnt really make a difference.

Ive read so many horror stories about edt and it seems to last for months/years for some people....I really cant imagine going through that. Its terrible.

I usually get over a cold in a few days and have never experienced anything like this with my ears before. Its been a week and a bit. Steam makes it a tiny, tiny bit better, and its usually most blocked when i wake up.

Id just like to know of this sounds like edt at all or just a cold symptom. I may be overreacting but its just so frustrating. What are some subtle signs of improvement i should look out for?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

It's quite common for a lot of children and adults to suffer from blocked ears after cold,

my grandsons has recently experienced this, however after a week or two his ears

cleared.  But with some children and adults it can take months and even years to get

to grips with unblocking them.

If you've tried the antihistamines and decongestants, it does look as though if your ears

continue to be blocked for much longer, you'll need help with something stronger.

Have you been offered a steroid nasal spray.  These have to be used twice daily for a

number of weeks to get any benefit.  Do steam inhalations too, then try and pop your

ears several times.

The popping and crackling you're hearing is the mucus that's sticking your eustachian

tubes together.  You need to get rid of the inflammation that has also swelled your

tubes, also preventing them from draining.

Hope this information you will find helpful.  Personally, due to sinus and allergies

problems I have suffered ETD for many, many years and only recently have I

got to grips with it, with my ears only blocking every 4/5 days.  Today has been

a bad day with them, but with my current medication I've managed to pop them and 

they feel better.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your response! Ill see how it goes for another week or so...I have a feeling itll clear because everyday there are (what I perceive to be) very slight improvements. This is the first time its happened and I really feel for those who suffer from blocked ears chronically. Its so frustrating especially when its really a lot of trial and error with the medication and remedies.

Ill get back on the sudafed since I didnt give it a proper go the first time & carry on with the steam too.

I only saw a dr overseas for a brief consultation. If it doesnt go in the next week or so Ill give my local gp a visit.

Thanks again Anne,

All the best.

• Posted

You're very welcome and let me know how it goes.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.