Blocked in-dwelling Foley catheter, nurse reverse-flushed, in ER last night

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had a very anxious time at 1am in hospital emergency.  

The wait-time would have been 4 hours, and my bladder felt really full.  No urine had been coming out for two hours or more.  My bladder couldn't wait 4 hours.

I asked nurses for advise.  A kind nurse, said, "I won't make you wait four hours", and cleared the debris jam by reverse flushing the catheter with saline in a needle-less syringe.

Why the blockage? Debris from the body -- looks like small cotton ball in the clear tube to the urine bag.  Another nurse said it could also be "positional".  The first nurse said it could also be my 96mL prostate could have blocked.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wow, you must really be going through hell with these prostate problems. Are you considering some sort of treatment for BPH. 96 grams is a lot for a prostate. 20g is about the normal size. From what I've read, you would need an advanced procedure like a TURP to take care of that because the other less invasive procedures require you to have a much smaller prostate size. I'm praying for you buddy.

• Posted

A poster stated my 96g is too large for TURP.

I'm confident, from past victories, that there's a relatively quick way to shrink my Prostate, somewhere.  

If you're on the same boat, let's go hunting together.

Surgery is my very last option.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.