blocked nose and deafness

Posted , 2 users are following.

i had a bad cold at xmas and my ears didnt recover well. Then i was ok and two weeks ago developed another cold. ~It went straight to my head, not so much a cold just very blocked nose all the time and my ears are popping and i cant hear too well. My head feels all bunged up and like im in a tin box.

I have been taking decongestant a lot because i cant handle not being able to breaath properly through my nose, i have heard it can make it worse. But this doesnt seem to be a cold now, its just a very blocked head. I saw an ent dr yesterday he lceared out some wax in my ears and told me to stop using the nasal drops. He gave me some steroid nasal spary but said it wouldnt unblock my nose immediately and it will take some time to work.

I dont know if i can wait, i cant breath i hate it.

Im coughing up some phlegm a bit thick but not too bad.

so what could this be? sinus infection? allergy? Im really miserable with this.

Please can someone try to help me in identifying what this is please. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you took decongestants for a long time this could be a rebound congestion from them. They can cause some weird side effects, anxiety related. Try a more conventional approach with hot showers, face massages, steam inhalations etc. Also Neti pot. Wait a while and see what happens. I once had my ears clogged for 2 months after a bad flu.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I think you could be spot on regarding the rebound with the decongestants. I use them every day because I have a fear of not being able to breath through my nose. My ent dr said I have to stop using them straight away. So I stopped two days ago and started on the steroid nose spray. It doesn't un block like the other ones which is frustrating but he says in time it will clear my nose. I'm very congested. I don't know if it's catarrhal from the decongestant or an allergy. It's horrible.

• Posted

The way to do it is to stop using in one nostril at a time. When one unplugs you can breathe, than the other one. There is homeopathic spray online called Euphorbium, as well. It will not help initially, but in the future when you have a clogged nose. I buy it on Ebay from Bulgaria, or Poland.

• Posted

There is also an herbal decongestant online, called Sinupret. It is very useful for congestion, but not for continuous use since it can somehow upset stomach. The way the herbs work is by slightly irritating the stomach so that the phlegm becomes more fluid and flows out.
    • Posted

I suffer from ibs so have to be a bit careful with my gut. The ent did tell me to stop one nostril at a time. But I've had none today. I've used the nasorex and it's not too bad. I blow my nose right before spraying it. I've notice tiny spots of blood but I'm not surprised I've used bottles of the decongestant. It's a menthol one too and it really stings when I put it in. It's prob very sore up there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.