blocked salivary gland

Posted , 16 users are following.

i first had a problem in december 2005, everytime i ate my gland would swell i also found at the bottom of my mouth was swollen and a white spot was formed. I went to the doctor who thought it may be a trapped saliva gland and told me to suck lemons etc to unblock it, in about a week a white substance like a grain of rice came out the bottom of my mouth and the problem was solved. Then january this year the same happened again but the pain was worse, back to doctors i went but this doctor had to look on the internet as he had never seen it before, again after sucking endless on a lemon it unblocked again but this time with a lot of puss aswell, only to find the morning after it had reblocked. I have now been referred to the ENT :P and have an appointment on tuesday 15th may and am hoping either to have it sorted or taken out as i am sure now it will return again. Ill keep u posted

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What did you find out? I am having a similar experience. Had radiation for thyroid cancer in Oct./o6. This started in March/07. I don't know if it is related. Had a ct scan yesterday, nothing showed up. There is a powerful salty taste in my mouth and swelling a meals. I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics without any improvement. Any suggestions?
  • Posted

Hi every1, went to the hospital for my appointment had an x-ray taken which showed the stone had gone (which i could have told them that myself). I have to go back on the 7th of june to the department of nucular medicine. I will be injected into the arm with radioactivity then after about 20 mins a photos will be taken of my gland with a gamma camera so the consultant knows what hes dealing with. At the end of june i go back to see the consultant to discuss the procedure of removing the gland as the problem will come back. If you have had it more than once it is likely you will always suffer. Only problem is there is a nerve right next to your gland and there is a risk if the nerve is damaged it would look like i have had a stroke, i will make my mind up properly after seeing my consultant again as i am unsure what do do with the risks etc. As for your experience trish it sounds if your gland is blocked with a stone anti biotics are good if there is infection but you need to demand that your doctor refer you to ent department at the hospital for further investigation if the problem keeps coming back, also check under your tougne to see if you can see a white spot as thats where the stone usually comes out and by prodding about a little it sometimes helps it out which would give u instant relief, also suck on lemons to increase the flow of saliva i know it hurts but it does help get it moving. anymore questions please get back. keep u posted on my progress

kerry

• Posted

I have Sjogrens syndrome which is one of the causes of blocked salivary glands. The ones under my tongue I can massage clear. A load of jelly like stuff comes out along with a small stone. I've been doing this for so long that they will clear really quickly now. I also have a 1cm stone in my parotid duct which I have to go to Guy's to have removed in March (deep joy!)
    • Posted

How exactly do you massage out the one under your tongue? Im going mad over here!
  • Posted

Hello was wondering if i could get you're opinion. Over the past 4 days I've noticed the saliva glands under my tongue has been rather sore. Yesterday it felt like it was getting better but when i woke up this morning it was rather swollen and red. Worried i started checking around and stumbled upon 2 possibilities as to why. Either it is the start of oral cancer or a blocked saliva gland. Based off of you're description it seems to me more like a blocked saliva gland. when i look at it in the mirror the left gland does seem to have a white spot. Also the back of my bottom front teeth on the gum line their has started to turn white was wondering if this was caused by the blocked gland and if you had experienced this with your situation as well. I floss and brush very often so it seemed rather strange to me. If it doesn't seem to improve within the next day or so i will be going my dentist asap. You're opinion would be very helpful in the mean time.

Thank You in advance.

• Posted

Ok, just had this happen today. Went to the ER and the doc said suck on lemons. Seriously? Not sure I can put up with this pain for a week. Can I just sit on the couch with a bushel of lemons and have at it or would my face explode?

He also gave me a prescription for antibiotics for 10 days. It sucks because going into the weekend now I just have to deal with it.

• Posted

I battled with recurrent salivary stones in my submandibular gland, which caused many infections and a lot of pain. I was able to pass stones occasionally but soon developed a large stone that was approx. 1cm in size. I had it removed surguically under general anesthesia. The relief was short lived. There were more stones and scar tissue which caused intense pain. I was not able to eat or drink for nearly a week. After 1.5 years of battling I had my left submandibular gland removed. As I woke up from surgery I had immediate relief. I could eat with no pain. Several months have past and the scar is dissappearing. I am 25 and I postponed the surgery for aesthetic reasons. I strongly reccomend removal of the gland for those of you who have had more than one incidence of stones and/or infection.
  • Posted

My experience is very similar to [b:aa217bd793]christinad's[/b:aa217bd793] above.

I first started having trouble with salivary stones (I still am!) around the summer of 2007. Whenever I ate anything, the gland under my neck on the left would swell up (quite painfully!) and then go down a while after. I could also feel something under my tongue. I went to see a doctor who told me I may have a salivary stone and to try sucking on some lemons! This did nothing to ease the problem and while at the dentist, I mentioned I could feel a stone and he said he would refer me to the hospital's Oral and maxillofacial department.

First off a full head x-ray was done which showed nothing (my jaw was in the way), but a normal x-ray from below showed a stone. After attempted and failing to remove the stone under local anesthetic, I was told I would have to have it removed under general anesthetic as it had slipped back. That was done in August 2007 and I was in and out in a day and the relief was instant when it was done. However.....

I have been back for regular check-up's with the hospital and kept myself going back as having the stone removed left behind quite a bit of scare tissue on the bottom of my mouth. During this time it started to become quite tender. I then went through several x-rays which showed nothing there and a failed silogram where they tried to put dye into my gland (which was made difficult by the scar tissue!). I had more x-rays and nothing showed. Eventually I was given an ultra-sound scan on my neck and it showed 2 stones, one 6mm long and the other 3mm long. This time they are futher back, but I can feel them very clearly with my finger! The other issue I am sure I am getting is infections. I am almost certain the gland not being right is making me feel quite bad at times! All of this has taken months of course and a heck of a lot of waiting.

I am going back in 3 days time and think the only outcome now can be to have both the stones and gland removed. I have had enough of it and think I am prepared to take the associated risks to have it taken out and to possibly pay to have it done privately if necessary.

I will post back how I get on!

• Posted

Just wondered how got on? I've got a stone in one of my glands. getting tooth pain, but not sure if related. Have you had the glands removed now? How are things now?
  • Posted

Hi, i had the same problem when i was about 9 years old, i had swelling everytime i ate but then it went away about an hour later but then one day it happened again, but this time i had major swelling and pains, my mum and dad bought some nurofen to help with the swelling and pain, it aventually died down and i had no more swelling or pains. About a week to two weeks later i got the exact same thing, so we went to our local GP, they told me it was a block salivary gland,  they said to come back in the next week and they would flush the stone out. This worked for about 3 years. Then i started getting the smalling sweeling under my ear, then while i was on holiday at Kos (Greek island of the coast of Turkey), i started getting major swelling and pains again, had the same pain relief, its been going on for 3 days now, and its been getting worse ever since it started, but i cant go to my GP, because im in Kos...

Im going to try sucking lemons and sweats but does anyone alse have any suggestions or had the same problem?

• Posted

Hi Harry,

I hope you didn't go to the hospital in Greece. It happened to me for the first time last week in Crete, one of the Cyclades island of Greece. I went to the hospital at Agios Nickolaos... They kept refering me to other doctors for finally telling me to go to another hospital in Heraklion. I found them highly incompetent. So I just decided to wait a couple more days and get checked in Canada (because I didn't know at that time it was a salivary gland blocked). My doctor told me that I would need to have the gland removed and it can take a couple of months to get the appointment. I'm not suffering too much. It's good... When I read other comments about how others are suffuring of that. It's more unpleasant. Light sore. Hope you all guys best of luck with this. smile

• Posted

Please do hot compress it will really helps you.
  • Posted

I also had a problem with a blocked salivary gland, usually it happens  when my sinuses are draining and the duct gets blocked. I tried eating about 3 cups of watermelon and it immediately relieved the pain and it felt like my the blocked duct opened up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.