Blod Test Results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,  I have finally been given a copy of my latest blood reports.  TSH Level - 7.5, T4 14.1, cholesterol level 4.3. (there are others but these seem to be the main ones people discusse here)

I have put another half a stone on, terrible fatigue, hoarse voice, low moods, brain fog, diagnosed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome etc.  Doctor told me to "come back in December" and he will look at bloods again. 

At a loss what to do?  Does anyone have any ideas on the above results - should I keep pestering my Doctor?  I am starting to struggle to concentrate at work and I feel like a pain in the behind and a liability to everyone  sad

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Caz:

I am an RN -Nurse and live in the USA. I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.  You say your TSH is 7.5?  Normal should be 0.34-5.60 so if that is correct, you are having way too much Thyroid stimulating Hormone and T4 should be 4.5 -11.2  - so you are showing high on that. 

You seem to be having high abnormal lab values, but you seem to have more of the symptoms of low. So let's concentrate on the symptoms more.

Symptoms of low thyroid are:  Weight gain, loss of periods or heavy ones, dry skin, hair loss, pain in muscles, brain fog or confusion, depression & crying spells, feeling anxious.  There are many more symptoms and these are most common.

Your blood levels may by December have settled some when they plan to test you again.  The body does some crazy things when it trys to adapt to it.  Please log your symptoms and check to see if anyone in your family has thyroid disease.  When you see the doctor you will have your log, and it will help to diagnose you better. Also write down any questions you have and that way -you can ask them.  Sometimes people forget to ask a question.

If you start getting worse -please call your GP and ask to be seen.  You may need an Endocrinologist who knows thyroid problems.

In the meantime eat lower carbs and walk some for exercise.  I lost 30 pounds doing that.  Avoid high stress if you can.  Eat more fresh foods  like fish, and avoid ready made or fast foods since they have lot's of sodium in them and phosphates which can lead to other problems.  Take a multi-vitamin because many minerals in the body can be low and unless your blood was taken for a mineral panel, you could have low B vitamins, magnesium, or potassium.  B-12 is also a vitamin and it cna be low also. 

Feel free to ask any questions you have, most of us have lived with this for a long time and can help.

Be well, Shelly

• Posted

Hi. I have had underactive thyroid for about 5 years. Was given levothyroxine 150mcg. I have never been advised on supplements/vitamins. Should I be taking something else. I was also like that I could eat pretty much anything and it would never affect my weight until that time 5 years ago. I put on so much weight they said my thyroid was the problem. Moods was so low skin hair and voice were all affected. I am now feeling pretty much as I did 5 years ago in that my energy levels have fallen it's an effort to get up and go to work as I can't focus the same. My bloods were done last week again (they hadn't been checked for nearly 2 years) and had to be repeated due to high cholesterol rewarding. Doc has just phoned now saying all normal and to carry on as I am. I have never been privy to blood results / levels etc and didn't think I needed to know this info but now I'm thinking how do I go about this. I'm going to make an appointment for next week to speak with gp regarding how I feel. I take my tablets in the morning as soon as I wake up along with betahistine hydrochloride which I take for labrynthitis. Also usually these days accompanied by 2 paracetamol. Directly followed by copious amounts of coffee.
    • Posted

Shelley,

I always thought the lab results were higher if you had low thyroid. At least for TSH which meant you were trying to produce more because your body was rejecting it or something like that. I obviously am very confused on the subject so I was just wondering. I was diagnosed about two weeks ago and started synthroid and I feel ten times worse. Losing so much hope here. I know what you're feeling OP. I would definitely find another doctor for a second opinion.

• Posted

Hello StayPos:

It can mean the body is trying to make more of the hormone needed and that is why I said the body does some crazy things and may settle down. Doctors usually try to get  TWO lab results in a certain period of time, that are abnormal so they can be sure.  The doctor said come back in December.  Of course Caz seek a second opinion if she wants.

In many of us, our body tries to CORRECT the problem but the gland is damaged and will not respond to making more hormone and the body will need replacement hormone.

I would say she has symptoms of HYPOTHYROIDSIM and I am placing more emphasis on what she described in her post as her symptoms.  I am not placing much on just her lab results, I just mentioned her values are abnormal and a bit high at this time.

I hope this helps.  Be well - Shelly

• Posted

Hello Donegalbiddy:

Many of us with thyroid disease need extra  VIT D as we tend to have low levels of it. In order for the Levo to work well, you need your iron, and magnesium, and other minerals to be at proper levels.  You should take a good multi-vitamin since some of us do not get enough via diet.

Cholesterol is the plaque in arteries and causes a blockage later in life.  You can have high cholestrol as a family trait or from eating high cholesterol foods.  you can get heart disease later.  It can be controlled by meds.  Lipitor for example and so many other pills out there for it.

You should watch carbs and eat good foods.  Fresh foods over processed ones.  You can eat what you want but the junk food out there can lead to other problems later if the diet is just based on that. 

You can ask for your lab results from your doctor, by law they have to give it to you. If you do not ask - they don't give it. So ask for it and they will give it to you.

Coffee is okay in small amts - large amts. can raise your blood pressure. Try 1 cup a day.

I hope I helped.  Be well,  Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly 👍🏻. I'm going to see doc next week to talk about results and vitamins etc. you were very helpful. Need to cut back on my coffee. 😂
    • Posted

Thanks! I was just wondering because my symptoms are very much the same and have gotten worse since starting meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.