blood and mucus in bowel after ceasing smoking

Posted , 5 users are following.

every time i stop smoking my bowel bleeds and has a lot of mucus discharging can anyone tell me why please, my doctor said its fall of nicotine in system could this be true ? .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds a bit odd to me, but when I stopped smoking I had bleeding gums. My Dentist told me that was very common and would stop after a few weeks - it did. 

Jan

• Posted

Jan's comment is in fact very well documented and apparently is commonly encountered by dentists. Of course the gums are in direct contact with the nicotine and get the most potent blast of a cigarette. But I have not heard of it in the context of the gut. Perhaps the same effect occurs elsewhere in the body or perhaps the doctor is thinking of gums! If it does not clear up pretty soon I would get a second opinion.
  • Posted

You could try the nicotine patch to see if it is the problem.   If it doesn't help then see another doctor. 
  • Posted

I have read that patients with UC and crohns have less symptoms if they smoke. Stopping smoking is great news but could have uncovered some form of inflammatory bowel disorder?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.