Blood clots?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have the first of two Hip ops coming up in sept and am a tad worried about blood clots... and wondered what the risk factor of this would be.. im 58 years old and otherwise fit apart from an irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrilation) but im hoping the benefits outweigh the risk ?

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You are fortunate that the atrial fibrillation has been diagnosed and is presumably being treated or monitored and is under control. My husband has atrial fibrillation and underwent a hip replacement successfully, he was already on an anticoagulants but was still prescribed anti DVT treatment in the shape of stomach injections of a second anticoagulant for a few weeks. All hospitals take anti DVT, which vary, following hip replacements and I am sure the medical team will be well aware how to deal with your atrial fibrillation , talk to them about it at your preop and at admission
  • Posted

Hi John,

I was terrified of blood clots as well, but I had a chat with my surgeon it was all that I needed to calm down...He will be able to explain to you what's your situation...also blood clots are not the end of the world, they can be dissolved with medications.

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

I was put on clexene injections and Ted's and advised to move about as much as possible. Consultants all very aware of that risk. Mine advised me not to take a 50 min flight at 7 weeks so that is how careful they are. All the best in your op.
  • Posted

Hi John, I am 66 years old, I also have atrial fibrilation. I had my op on 21st May this year. I had a spinal with sedation, and afterwards I had 2 Clexane injections a day for 28 days. I also took Naproxen for a few weeks after the op and they didn't affect AF either. Since the op  I have had physio and am starting hydrotherapy tomorrow. I have had no effects whatsoever from my AF so I would say to you go for it. it's the best thing I have done and just to get free from the pain is wonderful. I am now walking a lot without aids but still take my stick with me outside.  Hope this helps smile Love Gillxx
  • Posted

Hi John, mine was following an accident, and that for reasons I will not g into, I did not get correct medical intervention for 2 months. I am a retired medic and my daughter is a GP, I also have a porcine allergy that is life threatening but was put on "rivaroxaban". This drug is used in the TRX of both PE and DVT, its an oral medication and quite expensive but not only protects but starts to break down clots.

You need to discuss your worries with your consultant as they will take into consideration your other medication for your AF.

They know what they are doing, quit the anxiety, ask the questions and work on getting fit for your op.

Best wishes, Dot.

• Posted

Hi John,

It's natural to be worried but they take a lot of precautions in hospital to prevent this. I had to wear surgical socks to the knees,( a great look) both in hospital and for 6 weeks post op. In addition I had to wear inflatable boots (they probably have a proper name but that was their function). I had to wear these for, I think 3 or 4 days after the op. If you imagine having your blood pressure taken and the way the cuff inflates and deflates, that's what happens with the boots. These are kept on day and night to help prevent blood clots from forming. I was also given medication to make sure that no clots formed. I was got out of bed the day after surgery, The hospital staff want people to start becoming mobile quickly as this also apparently helps to stop blood clots forming. The benefits will defintely outweigh the risks. I wish you all the very best for your ops. I had mine done last December and cannot believe the difference in my mobility.Good luck and good health !

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.