Blood clots caused by sertraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all ive actually lost count of how long ive been on sertaline 50mg for but its well over the 3months mark id say it took well over 12 weeks to properly kick in forme but now i feel great and 1000% back to myself theres just one thing worrying me about 2months ago i went to the hospital as i was feeling really crap which turned out to be the sertraline i also had a warm sensation in my leg for two days on and off it was like someone was injecting hotwater into my leg and i can feel it traveling up my leg so i mentioned this to the ane doctor and he said ohh its probably sicatica pain travelling to you leg it soon stopped and i forgot about it but the past few days ive had little cramp like feelings in my calf what im getting to is can sertraline cause blood clots as it seems im very sensitive to this medication as in the begining i had every side effect etc never anxious anymore but i am a little thinking about blood clots

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

sertraline does not cause blood clots claire. maybe you need to stop taking this medication, its obviously is not working for you with all the issues you have been having with it!

• Posted

the SSRI group of drugs can cause your blood to 'thin' (rather than become thicker) so theoretically, blood clots should not be an issue whilst taking Sertraline.

I wonder if you should re visit your GP and discuss your concerns, and get some reassurance ? x

• Posted

hi yes im goin to speak about it my doctor took blood to check if my blood sticky or prone to clotting as i was getting purple blotches a while back under my skin bruises so there looking into it i feel great tho very glad im better xxxxx

• Posted

Hi, Sertraline cannot cause blood cloths. Its effect is opposite, it makes your blood more "liquid" and may (veeeeery unlikely) cause bruises and inner bleeding.

• Posted

so it takes over 4 weeks to get better i get frustrated when i hear people get better so quickly. i have been on pristiq for 22 days. i feel better late afternoon and evenings your letter gives me hope. the anxiousness is awful.

• Posted

yeah im so glad i stuck it out lynne honestly but i had a real hard time in the early weeks xxx

• Posted

it takes months for the full effect to really be felt, which is really frustrating i know, and especially if you experience dreadful side effects (i felt terrible for 5 weeks on start up) but things do gradually improve, and life becomes brighter..... xx

• Posted

so it took longer than 6 weeks to kick in pharmacist said i should feel fully better in 6 weeks. i'm scared now.

• Posted

**pharmacist just scared me said antidepressant should fully kick in at 6 weeks but it took longer for you right. i'm so scared.

• Posted

i am not sure sure it was wise, or professional for the pharmacist to tell you that, i wonder if he really meant to say that this group of drugs start to kick in at around the 6 week mark?

both my GP, and a retired Consultant Psychiatrist (neighbour) have informed me that the SSRI group of drugs may take a full 12weeks before their full benefit is felt.

i was much improved at the 8-10 week mark, but felt even better at 12weeks.

try not to read too much into his remark, everyone responds differently.

6 weeks is very early days for you x

• Posted

i am on 28 days right now sertraline worked great for 20 years then pooped out. MY PROBLEM IS severe anxiety. i tried prozac and lexapro but maybe didn't give them enough time. i have good periods in the late afternoon and evening. mornings are the worst. its hard sometimes to be around people with the anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.