Blood clots in catheter bag

Posted , 5 users are following.

Back in 2002 I kept getting kidney infections. I had reflex from my bladder to my kidneys. I had back surgery at L5 S1 from a nerve issue. After surgery I could feel when my bladder full and so on. Last week I was in a car accident. I spent 4 days doing bladder tests in the hospital and found out I cant feel my bladder again. I was sent home with a catheter. Is it normal to have blood and blood clots in the catheter bag? Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No it is not normal. Post surgery can have slight red. I would be going to the Dr if it's more than slightly red.

• Posted

No, it's not normal I'd suggest to you to go to your Dr asap 

Dave

• Posted

Re clots - my uro said yes.  Initially they were only 2mm x 4mm small, and less than 5 in total.

However, my Foley removal and one self-cath attempt became a bloody complication.  I bled 1 Liter of scary red blood.  Finally stopped, then restarted for part of another scary day.  There were clots, crystals, cotton ball thingys, and yellow-orange flakes, in that order.

My uro says, "we call that sludge".

If my blood in urine and clots didn't stop, I would have been very, very worried.  Oh, I also had another blockage while on the Foley, which miraculously restarted, without blood, while on a pothold road on a taxi to ER.  I now see that riding a car is beneficial somehow to get urine going.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.