Blood clotting after a transrectal biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my trans rectal biopsy 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Two or three months ago I had a blood clot in my left arm from the inside of my elbow extending a couple inches. The doctor put me on aspirin and it either dissolved or moved within about a month. I was doing some moderately heavy lifting today and my left arm started spasming. It also has been somewhat sore of the last month. Call the doctor to maybe get an ultrasound but they sent me straight to the after hours clinic because the nurse thought it might be a blood clot that was moving. They drew some blood and did some kind of test which determines whether you have blood clots in your system. A normal reading is like .04 but mine was 1.9. so they sent me across town for an ultrasound on my left arm and the arteries in my neck. I'm wondering if the reason the blood clot counts were so high is because I still have blood clots in the prostate from the needling. Kind of weird I just wondered whether it ever happened to anyone else.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

By the way nothing out of the ordinary turned up with the ultrasound.
    • Posted

I had a suspected blood clot in my calf. GP also did a blood test to determine if it was dangerous. No, not dangerous.. Referred me for an ultrasound scan and prescribed ointment to soothe the vein which i applied for two weeks, It must have worked, as nothing was found in the scan, which was done 3 weeks after I'd been to the GP. As I remembered bruising the calf, the GP said this type of phlebitis is most commonly caused by such trauma in the location of the inflamed blood vessel. I therefore doubt if the Prostate biopsy caused the problem in your case.

• Posted

Given that the blood clot in your elbow significantly preceded your transrectal biopsy, it seems unlikely that one incident is connected to the other ---- unless the clot doesn't know its a--e from its elbow  ;-)

• Posted

never lose that sense of humor, bro! without it, what's life about? smile 

• Posted

Despite the seriousness of our various stages of affliction, I like to stick to the old navy maxim, as all hell erupts around: "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined"

All the best

K

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.