Blood Glucose Level with GCA/MPR

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was told 2 weeks ago that my sugar AIC is @ 7.

The doctor put me on medication & told me to check it 3 times a day.

I got no education on blood sugar. I'm just taking it & jotting down the #'s. I have a lot of #'s in the medium 200 range. There are a few in the mid 160"s. This concerns me. Guess I need to make an appt. with my family doctor.

My rheumatologist told me this is a result of the prednisone & that's another reason he wants me to get off the prednisone asap. Yet another reason for starting the actema infusion.

I know the GCA can cause fatigue & I read where blood glucose can cause fatigue. Yesterday the fatigue was so bad I spent the whole day in bed. Just totally exhausted.

I just feel like these 2 diseases are in a fight right now & I'm the unlucky recipient.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darlene36,

I have GCA and PMR and I am diabetic (before the GCA). Your blood glucose is high,ie. mine was 136 this morning. I am no expert but I would cut the carbs as soon as possible. I am on Actemra/Tocilizumab and it does help with the Prednisone but is not a substitute for it. The blood glucose does drop as you taper the Prednisone but I would cut the carbs now. The experts (and they are very good) will give you solid advice. I hope this helps.

CC

• Posted

Charles,

Thank you for your response.

I'm very concerned about this.

Should get a call early next week begin the acterma infusion.

I know it can take some time to reduce the prednisone. Right now I'm stuck @ 20mg. anything less & I get those awful GCA headaches. Still get them on 20mg. quite often.

Am going to start right away to reduce the carbs.

Think I'll check with our local hospital to see if they offer diabetes classes.

• Posted

Yes, I'm dealing with the prednisone induced diabetes, too.  My general doctor, an internist, is managing it and has not put me on medication, yet.  I've been diagnosed for 5 months.  

What I have done is I've gone to two diabetes clinics and they helped a lot.  The nurses and dietitians have such good ideas and helps.  

I'm to take my blood sugar two times a day - 2 hours after the noon meal and 2 hours after the evening meal.  Am keeping records and the doctor will run another A1c this next visit. 

One dietitian said to eat every 2 hours, the suggestion for me was to have 3 meals with 45 carbs each and 3 snacks with 15-20 carbs each (thus the every 2 hour deal.)    She said when I eat fruit to couple it with a protein and I'm doing that - it's helpful.  - apples and cheese, or an apple with peanut butter, etc.

It was hard to find a glucose chart.  If you'd like, I can scan the one I found and send it to you off list.  

One thing for sure, my numbers are much lower before taking the prednisone.  

Learn everything you can learn about diabetes and hold out the hope that when the prednisone is lower, maybe the diabetes will go away.  My doctor is holding out less hope for mine reversing, but I'm holding out a LOT of hope.  Am on 10mg now (down from the original 60mg - decreasing over 10+ months.)  Will remain on 10 for another month and my instructions are to lower only 1 mg a month and no more - holding if there are any changes.  

The stress in our family is too much to try to do anything and since things are steady - I'm hanging at 10.

Portions, counting carbs, eating frequent small amounts, try to go to a diabetic clinic through your local hospital or wherever you can locate one, and know that this might go away.  I'm hoping the best for you. 

Watch, always, for a drop in blood sugar.  We were told (at the clinic) to keep soft peppermints with us.  A drop in blood sugar is dangerous.  If you start to sweat, get weak, dizzy - take your blood sugar.   Orange juice (6-8 oz) will do the same.  Look up the symptoms for this, too. 

MariGrace   

• Posted

My doctor said he feels certain this will go away if we can get the prednisone to a low manageable mg. Thus the acuterma. I'm @ 20 mg. of prednisone. Anything lower & I get those awful headaches with the GCA. Still get them some with the 20mg.

My doctor has high hopes for this. I should hear something early next week to set up the infusion.

Going to try to print your response so I can easily reference it.

If you can scan the chart for me that will be a big help.

I appreciate your comments about eating every 2 hours and suggestions on what to eat.

Think I'll call our local hospital to see if they offer clinics.

• Posted

@Darlene36688 I'm fortunate to have a blood sugar level of 5.3 on my prednisone. My endocrinologist wishes for half her patients to be so lucky who are not on Prednisone. I would suggest a strict diet was supplements. Most all hospitals have a diabetic Center where you can go and have I want online with a nutritionist. They even have plates that you can purchase that show division by percentage of food until you get used to doing it yourself. I used to be with someone who was diabetic so I always cook that way for both of us it's a very healthy way of eating. But as above suggested get out all your processed foods and carbs for starters. Best of luck to you. Janet

• Posted

I'll call our local hospital to see if they off a clinic I might attend.

Definitely going to closely watch the carbs.

I'll look online to see if I can find a nutritionist.

The plates sound like a good idea for me. I certainly need to learn portion control.

Everyone on this forum is so helpful.

Feel like I can ask any question and really not feel too foolish.

• Posted

As the others have said - Have you tried cutting your carbs drastically? Several people on the forums have brought their Hba1c down to low pre-diabetic levels and even normal by doing so. 

It really isn't anything to worry about at present - many people remain on pred because they don't have the choice and manage diabetes well. It should improve as the dose falls and it is only many years of poorly controlled blood sugar levels that lead to serious trouble.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Today is day one of the drastic cut in carbs.

Found a good site from American Diabetes Assoc. that lists all the startchy, non startchy etc. foods. I printed it out & making my grocery list now. Today is my shopping day.

This forum has been such a blessing to me.

Everyone is so helpful.

I feel like I have a new circle of helpful friends.

• Posted

Hi, Darlene,   I was drinking a glass of water a little while ago and thought, "We didn't talk about the importance of drinking water and diabetes."  I hear my medic daughter say -often, 'The solution to pollution is dilution."  She is often telling me to 'drink water.' 

Being a learner and no expert on this subject, I have been doing some web searches about the importance of drinking water with diabetes and I'm attempting to drink 6 oz an hour right now.  Not always successful, but I am choosing water over other liquids with meals, etc.  Juice has to be handled with care because it is so carb loaded. The dietitians I've heard stress avoiding sweet drinks.

Take care.  Keep the hope and I hope you can get your prednisone down over time and as you do that you see positive changes.

My doctor insists on slow, slow, slow prednisone reduction. He knows I'd like to be off it a long time ago so he is stressing the need for patience.  

Do not want a flare or relapse.  No, no, no.

We can do this - and this group is truly a blessing.

MariGrace

• Posted

Hi MariGrace,

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm determined to get this under control.

You are so right about the water.

Today I opted for water with meals & working at drinking more water. I was always very bad about it before. Will try to follow your example.

As bad as the prednisone can be I can't get past that 20mg.

I'm praying the actermera will help us decrease it.

Slow and steady wins the race,

• Posted

Hi MariGrace,

My Doctors say the same thing, an Eye Doc, a Rheumy, and my GP. They say go slow and easy and be patient. I am taking Actemra/Tocilizumab and it took me eight months to go from 20mg to 10mg, and my Rheumy said hol at ten mg for awhile. I am no expert but I think your advice to Darlene36688 is very good.

C

• Posted

Thank you, Charles. 

30 years ago I had a full blown episode of Behcet's disease.  With many doctors working with me, I was able to go into remission within 2 years. What a disappointment that PMR seems to be more resistant to a full remission.  That has been a game changer and I am finally (with the help of this group) understanding it.  The doctor has warned me of flares, and I'm learning what is possible to do and when I've done too much. 

Have had to learn to accept a lesser 'wellness' level, but thankful to be feeling so much better.  Those first nine months were tough.  

The PA even said I could go down in 1/2 mg increments when I start reducing again.  Might do that.  Am not anxious to rock the boat. 

Every day I am thankful to have doctors who believed me, did the right tests and helped.  

I had never ever heard of PMR in my life.  Who knew?  

We can do this.  I'm sending good thoughts out to all.  

With understanding...

MariGrace 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.