Blood in saliva

Posted , 46 users are following.

For 2 months I have had blood present in mouth when I wake. I had a chest X ray, gastroscopy, scope from ENT doctor and dental checkup with no cause found. My doctor is not concerned. If I spit now, it will be clear but after spitting around 4 or 5 times, it starts coming through as blood. I'm worried this could be salivary gland cancer. Is this a potential symptom, or would ENT have checked for this? I stupidly forgot to ask during the appointment as I was glad she didn't find anything concerning. I can't find anything online connecting bleeding to salivary gland problems but I'm still concerned.

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like all the checks have been done and all ok. I believe salivery gland cancer starts with tumor. I had no bleeding at all. It may be your gums that are a problem. Have you been to your dentist?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Wessy. I was thinking something similar. I did some google searches but couldn't really find anything connecting salivary glands to bleeding. I did have a checkup with the dentist who didn't find anything.

I suffer from bad reflux and wonder if it could perhaps just be irritation from acid. It just seems odd to me that I can reproduce the bleeding problem just by spitting.

• Posted

My salivary gland swelling doesn't produce any bleed symptoms. I too would suggest visiting your dentist - I've had a mild gum bleed recently and have changed to a soft toothbrush on dental advice.
  • Posted

Hi there Miggy,

I recognize the bloody saliva. Especially in the morning. Only in my case the bloody parts are there the entire day. In the morning it seems more quantity. My doctor thinks it's caused by bad reflux or sensitivity to bloodthinners I'm on. Which causes any small bloodvessels to erupt.

I recently discovered it gets worse after eating.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you'll restore soon.

• Posted

Hey, Recently I am also having very similar symptoms like that, little reddish saliva after 4 5 spits. Its really making me worry. Did you find any root cause to it and is it still occurring to you?

Please do reply as soon as possible.

• Posted

I have the exact same problem, since the last 6 months. Did you have chest pains or burning too? And how are your teeth? And your throat?

• Posted

It just started from me about a week ago. I'm concern about it as well. My doctor send I just had an infection in my throat and it will go away in 7 to 10 days. I don't have a bump on my uvual but my doctor said it was nothing. I am experiencing some chest and burning pain in my chest as well.

• Posted

Hi james,

Hopefully your doctor is right. I have been experiencing it on and off for 6 months. Mine comes with chest burning. During the same period, I've also had a near constant left chest ache as well as frequent sore throats.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

• Posted

The blood in the salvia has stop but I too am experiencing pain in my chest mostly on my left side. It's been going on for like two and a half weeks. And my sore throat goes on and off as well. I'm just taking antibotics and riding it out

• Posted

Hello anony09318,

From last 5 months I also facing the same exactly as you described.

My symptoms are any time I split initially it will be light red in color mixed with saliva. After continue to spit some more time (4 to 5 times) it starts coming through as blood. I don't have pain or coughing while spiting the blood + saliva.

Here are my concern

Is this natural behavior to see blood while spitting (The traces of blood is small), but my worry is Why I am spitting with blood ? How can I stop? What is are the possible reason to spit in my & miggy1 case.

@anony09318 , Is your health recovered or you still having or observing the blood after many months?

• Posted

Hello james 22377,

From last 5 months I also facing the same exactly as you described.

My symptoms are any time I split initially it will be light red in color mixed with saliva. After continue to spit some more time (4 to 5 times) it starts coming through as blood. I don't have pain or coughing while spiting the blood + saliva.

Here are my concern

Is this natural behavior to see blood while spitting (The traces of blood is small), but my worry is Why I am spitting with blood ? How can I stop? What is are the possible reason to spit in my & miggy1 case.

@james 22377, Is your health recovered or you still having or observing the blood after many months?

• Posted

I also have these symptoms but I find it happens only when I am very dehydrated. Drinking a few liters of water helps, especially in winter when you don't realize you're dehydrated. Having dry lips is a good indication of dehydration in winter.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi James, I also get a burning pain/sore throat after spitting blood up.

I also get out of breath and a tight chest. I have had an ENT, blood tests, X-ray and the dentist! everything came back ok!

Any news on how you are getting on?

• Posted

Hi pavan70124 and everyone!

After months of stress and worry, I finally got a cure for my problems. I had been experiencing blood in saliva when waking up, with frequent sore throats, wheezing, and mild chest aches. Lately the blood had become more frequent, sometimes coming during the day too. Sometimes the saliva would be pink, other times it would have streaks or small dots of red in it, and at other times still it would be pure blood. What threw me off is that it never came when I brushed my teeth, so I did not consider it could be a problem with my gums. But that is what it turned out to be. I got checked by a good, professional dentist who diagnosed gum disease. He prescribed Flagyl antibiotic for 5 days as well as mouth rinses with salt water. As soon as I started this treatment, the blood disappeared, as well as a host of other symptoms. Now I am getting hygiene cleans and scaling treatments following which my gums will hopefully grow back to normal. Also, the dentist found an old root canal tooth (2 years old) from which he showed me on the x-ray that the infection had never completely disappeared. There were deep pus pockets under the tooth that I could not feel as the nerves had been killed during the root canal treatment. I have had that tooth pulled out now, and feel great. So I would advise all members participating in this discussion to consult with a good dentist too, just to rule out gums or tooth problems as a potential source of the blood in saliva. Of course, it can be something else too, so if it is an emergency situation, best to visit a doctor. Best of health to you all.

• Posted

Hello Anony,

Hope all is well and nice to hear that your are better now.  Where is your dentist? I need a good dentist like you have.  I have been having a same symptoms for several months now.  I went to my dentist, but it looks like they all trying to make money keep cleaning my teeth.  I need to see a good dentist to figure out if there is any problem with my gums.  If you can refer him to me it would be truly appreciated. 

• Posted

Hi Pavan

I am just wondering did you find a cause for these symptoms, im having exactly the same last few weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.