Blood in saliva

Posted , 46 users are following.

For 2 months I have had blood present in mouth when I wake. I had a chest X ray, gastroscopy, scope from ENT doctor and dental checkup with no cause found. My doctor is not concerned. If I spit now, it will be clear but after spitting around 4 or 5 times, it starts coming through as blood. I'm worried this could be salivary gland cancer. Is this a potential symptom, or would ENT have checked for this? I stupidly forgot to ask during the appointment as I was glad she didn't find anything concerning. I can't find anything online connecting bleeding to salivary gland problems but I'm still concerned.

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Miggy1,

From last 5 months I also facing the same exactly as you described.

My symptoms are any time I split initially it will be light red in color mixed with saliva. After continue to spit some more time (4 to 5 times) it starts coming through as blood. I don't have pain or coughing while spiting the blood + saliva.

Here are my concern

Is this natural behavior to see blood while spitting (The traces of blood is small), but my worry is Why I am spitting with blood ? How can I stop? What is are the possible reason to spit in my & miggy1 case.

@Maggy1, Is your health recovered or you still having or observing the blood after many months?

• Posted

I have the same thing going on, along with many other problems. Was wondering if you ever figured anything out. Hope all is well.
  • Posted

Hi , i am new to this forum.

I split out will blood  in morning when i wake up to brush teeths since 2 months ago. After split for 4 or 5 times, it is gone. 

I have checked  with ENT and Dentist and everything were clear .

I do not know the roofcause as well.

Miggy, not sure have u fully recover ? if yes, do let us know, at least we know that this is temporary and will auto recover . .....thanks.

• Posted

Also dealing with the same situation (it's worse in the morning...streaks of red blood in my saliva and pink mucus in throat) - no cough. I've been making myself cough to check but don't have a need to cough...It's quite scary.  I've dealing withis for a coupe of months now and not sure what to do...I've had chest xrays a chest CT scan, blood taken, had an endoscopy where esophagitis was found and also an ENT check up (where my throat was also found to be irritated)  I do suffer from bad heartburn, I'm taking at omeprazole in the AM and ranitidine before bed - symptoms feel a little though I do experience quite a bit of "throat burps/gurgling" after eating/drinking which is really annoying - not sure if all of this is related.  Please comment anyone.

• Posted

I have been having the same issue for almost 2 years. I have blood in my saliva after i wake up or have been lying down. It is light pink and then on my 2nd or 3rd spit blood is darker, than on the 5th spit it clears and goes back to normal. This is ONLY after sleeping. After, discussing this with my PCP he referred me to Gastro and i had an endoscopy they took a biopsy and said that I had H pylori, before i had the endoscopy i had blood in my saliva everyday for 4 months and i was freaking out. After completing my antibioitics for Hylyori which was 1000mg of Amoxicillian and 500mg of Clarithromycin twice a day for 10 days the blood in my saliva completely stopped for 6 months i thought i was cured and that the blood in my saliva was from the Hpylori. After 6 1/2 months it came back so i thought that the Hpylori came back so i had another endoscopy and everyhing was fine, i also had a nasolaryngoscopy and that was fine, and 2 chest xrays which where also fine. So my doctor gave me the same antibiotics again and it stopped for 6 months but i think it might be coming back! I think he is giving me the wrong combination of antiobiotics and that is why it keeps coming back. Has anyone taken any other antibiotics that cured it? Please let me know.
    • Posted

hey i wanted to follow up with u to see hows everything going. i have the same and im a total reck. mines started with acid reflux then i notice the blood in my spit. made a appointment to see my pcp. she ran test on me and had me to blow in a bag. two days later it came back positive but she refers me to a gi so im waiting on them to call me also im on 3 different antibiotics. ive lost alot of weight. i was reading up on this mess and seen where sometimes it cures sometimes it dont and surgery is form
    • Posted

Doc gave me Clarithromycin too and it went off for 2 mths. Now it's back again after I caught a cold. Apparently it's due to sinus infection and also post nasal drip where mucus hits some blood vessels inside.

• Posted

Do you still have the blood in your saliva? is it only after you wake up or lay down? that is so weird that the Clarithromycin stops it temporary. I am so fustrated that mine is coming back sad
    • Posted

Hi there. Yes mine usually comes when I wake up. Most probably due to the mucus build up in the throat when we sleep. My doc says this is all because of the acid reflux from the Tummy. The acid hits the throat and nasal area causing allergy problem. He says my condition in detail is called LERD

Laryngooesophageal reflux

disease. To help with the mucus I take monteleukast and actifed after dinner at night. Used a higher pillow. I know it is hard but I had to stop spitting straight away when I wake up but instead drink 3 glasses of water. The paranoia will be there but this will let the vessels heal. So far I'm trying this. Hope it helps you too.

• Posted

Hi Sherry,

The doctor may be giving you the right combination to deal with the symptoms, but not the root cause, try changing you diet. Try a plant based diet for a few months and see the difference.

• Posted

Hello Sherry! Im dealing with this problem now exactly what you had experienced and it makes me feel worry ..I just wanted to ask how are you now? Are you over with this problem now? What did you do to get over it? I do hope you are well and ok now. And i hope you can reply to my message.
    • Posted

It is not as bad as it was when it first started 2 years ago. I am actaully starting to see traces of bloos again. I have been taking garlic pills and vitamin C I think its helping but I am not sure. I might go see my Dr this week and get some antibiotics. I dont know why the antibiotics stop it for 9 months but this time its almost a year. If you dont mind me asking. How long have you had this problem? How long?And what steps have you took to figure out what is going on?
    • Posted

hi kelli

I've just joined this site as I've seen that most on here are in the same situation as me hope you don't mind me messaging wondering if you have had a diagnosis at all I'm getting this every morning in my saliva last 4 months almost 5 I get the random blood taste in mouth numerous times a day and my throat feels tight,

I've had the camera up nose that goes so far down throat twice and had chest xray all clear this is really getting me down to the point I've felt suicidal the doctors have literally said there's nothing more they can do now how can they write a patient off there's always help they can give😔xx

looking forward to hearing from you soon

karlene xxx

• Posted

hi

thanks for replying

yes I have this week had teeth all cleaned and she said all looks ok by a private hygienist as my own dentist too is getting fed up with me.

I really beside myself even cry when I wake up because I don't want to go into that bathroom 😔

karlene

• Posted

I was spitting blood every morning, and pink saliva on and off throughout the day. Sometimes I would randomly taste blood and a couple of times I even smelled it. Also started getting frequent sore throats, swollen tonsils, dull chest ache and palpitations. Had x-rays, ct scan, even a bronchoscopy. Never thought it could be a dental issue as the blood never came when I brushed my teeth. But turns out I had gum disease and a re-infected root canal tooth / dental abscess. The dentist pulled it out, gave me extensive hygience clean, prescribed 5 days of Flagyl antibiotics and daily hot water salt rinses and the blood has never come since. Of course, if your dentist and hygienist have given you the all clear, it could be something different. 
    • Posted

I have been told my tonsils are irregular especially the one but nothing again seems to be coming from them.

they get sore on times and I feel like I have a very slight sore throat dome days,

frightened they are missing something think I'm going to go back and ask them to really consider an mri,

thanks for the chat glad you got youre answers.

karlene x

• Posted

Hi sherry I am also facing the same problem when I wake up in morning or laid down for more time little quantity of blood apper in my mouth which is gone after 3-4 split it make me worry. My dentist gave me vitamin C and some antibiotics. Hope it works. Don't know treatment is going in right direction or not. Plz suggest me what I do.

• Posted

Hi, I see that your symptoms are same as mine.

1. Blood in saliva.

2. But I have Acid Reflux too

3. Endoscopy in 2014 showed Antral Gastritis with erosions.

4. Have done blood test for H Pylori came negative but I am told that the probability of finding is low in blood test.

5. More than 20 years back had stomach pain, vomiting, and diagnosed with H Pylori treated but Burping, stomach peptic ulcer pains continued till this day.

6. Infact, have high platelets also, may be due to this.

7. Have High Cholesterol too

Even today the acid reflux, blood in saliva still there but doctors not able to diagnose, have not taken biopsy of the stomach for H. Pylori Infection.

I am sure this could be due to Helucibacter Pylori infection which is burrowwed in cells of stomach to escape the high acid environment. Also realised that LES is opening due to low acid in stomach and thus the acid reflux

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.