Blood in Sputum

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is blood in phlem/mucous normal with Bronchiectais? I coughed up a very small amount in the phlem/mucous. It was a hard straining cough and it just came up. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mmm, it's  never normal, but it's pretty common. If you're having hemoptysis (coughing up significant amounts of pure blood), that's something to have checked out, but if you're straining to cough and your phlegm comes out bloody, that's probably a sign that either your airways are irritated, or you need something to loosen the phlegm so you don't have to cough so hard. Sometimes a straining cough will rupture the some of the little capillaries in the bronchi and you'll have a little blood. If it's infrequent and isn't very much, mention it to your doctor but don't worry too much.

• Posted

Yes it’s very scary.       But that is part of BX.  You need to tell your doctor and he might send you for a ct scan.         Hope all works out.  
  • Posted

This has happened to me and my doctor said that as long as it's only a small amount and not often, then it's not a big deal.

Also, Great Britain offers several great websites about BX and they mention how a bit of blood is nothing to worry about. Just google bronchiectasis sites that ends in .uk and you'll find a lot of good information.

• Posted

Yes, Tony, I have and it’s very frightening isn’t it. My doctor says it’s is just from the straining but I’ve often had it after flying. Don’t know why that is.
  • Posted

That hasn't happened to me but does sound like it's occurred because of the hard coughing. 

• Posted

Yes, while in the grip of infection and coughing tons, working very hard to get the gunk up, I've coughed up blood for as much as 9 hours straight, by which time I was in the ER. After that, everyone paid more attention and worked harder to help me. It took many months to get the infection stopped. But long before that happened, a new pulmo worked hard to reduce my coughing and make it easier to get phlegm up. Life became much easier on me after that.

So ask for help on the coughing issue. Medicines can help with the cough & with loosening the stuff. Postural drainage & various appliances also help get it up & out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.